Kudos to NCL - Gay Friendly!

stellasue

I think it's great. I read an article about it today and they were saying that on a previous cruise, the R Family group had a lot of trouble with protesters in the Bahamas (Rosie apparently couldn't even get off the ship), so they nixed the Bahamas from any future itineraries. It must be popular because I also read that this summer's Alaska cruise is sold out!

What does it matter, why they do it? The fact remains they do and the special groups regardless of who or what group they are appreciate this. BTW, RSVP has a very strong relationship with Princess as well. I have never done a gay cruise either, I would be a bit out of place, however I know my clients are very satisfied with groups that offer special chartered cruises. NMNita

Nita...you always state it so well!

And my .02 ...NCL treats us all well...regardless of race, creed, color, lifestyle or cabin!

We met a group of senior citizens on our 2nd Dawn cruise who could not stop raving about how well NCL treated them.

I have never done a gay cruise either but I would love to.

Friends of mine who are G/L are the most understanding, loving, caring people in my life. And, they LOVE to have a good time and always do!

DH and I went on our first cruise due to a gay friend of mine returning from a cruise and never stopped raving about it.

He was right!

momofmab....I believe that protest will be shown on the HBO documentary next week.

We have a number of posters here relating how NCL and its crews have gone out of their way to make sure R Family cruisers had a great time and were well taken care of. In contrast, we have zero posts complaining that NCL doesn't accept or support the GLBT lifestyle.

Unless you can offer any evidence at all that NCL is saying one thing and doing another, I'm going to assume NCL means what it says. If you can't back yourself up, I'm not sure why you keep making this nebulous semi-accusation...?

You're missing my point. which never was that NCL treated anyone poorly. My point was for NCL, this is strictly a function of revenue, and their relationship with R Family cruises is no different than the relationship other cruise lines have with other gay travel charter companies. Does NCL advertise in gay media? Haven't seen that. Do they support gay causes or sponsor gay events? Haven't seen that either. That would be more of a true meaningful commitment.

NCL is a very good cruise line, and it's terrific that everyone feels supported and has a good time. My point is to not mistake this for "acceptance"; it is purely a function of a company trying to meet a business model and capture a niche market whose members traditionally spend more than the average cruiser.

You're missing my point. which never was that NCL treated anyone poorly. My point was for NCL, this is strictly a function of revenue, and their relationship with R Family cruises is no different than the relationship other cruise lines have with other gay travel charter companies. Does NCL advertise in gay media? Haven't seen that. Do they support gay causes or sponsor gay events? Haven't seen that either. That would be more of a true meaningful commitment.

NCL is a very good cruise line, and it's terrific that everyone feels supported and has a good time. My point is to not mistake this for "acceptance"; it is purely a function of a company trying to meet a business model and capture a niche market whose members traditionally spend more than the average cruiser.

GMoney, I think you're missing everyone else's point which is that NCL's positive treatment of GLBT passengers is NOT limited to the R Family cruises, where they are simply chartering the ship.

NCL's positive treatment of GLBT passengers is year-round.

Reading the GLBT boards here, it seems that on just about every cruise line, passengers have to ASK for Friends of Dorothy meetings. Not so on NCL, they're automatically scheduled.

In light of RCCL's recent comments that they will not schedule FoD meetings anymore, NCL's approach is MUCH more friendly.

It's relatively easy for anyone equipped with gaydar to spot several "family" members among the crew, as well.

As for advertising, I don't see much NCL advertising anywhere....perhaps that's one way they manage to keep their prices down.

Stop focussing on who they're willing to lease their ship to, for a special charter, and instead focus on the year-round service they offer to ALL of their customers.

While I agree that it's good business to appeal to as many segments of the population as possible, lifestyle issues are a little more complicated. Have you ever read this board and seen where people didn't want to cruise NCL after a gay charter because they feared disease? Have you ever watched the news and seen where people boycotted certain products because they sponsored a gay event? Yes, it's good business to appeal to as many people as possible, but when it comes to lifestyle issues, companies walk a fine line and always risk alienating others. For NCL they've chosen to not only treat a certain group well but go out of their way to make things even better. By the way...I don't ask NCL for acceptance of my lifestyle (married with a 5 month old baby). Why does it matter if NCL is accepting of any other lifestyle choices? All I want is for them to accept my money and let me cruise. My personal life is my business.

Sorry to ramble on. I just don't understand why it's so important to keep pointing out this one thing. Of course, it's your opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong.

Does it really matter what NCL's ulterior motives are?

The major point that should be recognize is that NCL doesn't care what your lifestyle is.

They don't throw gays off the ship.....They don't discriminate.....

That was my point exactly as well as understanding what Cecelia is saying. Someone has said NCL does not advertise that much period< true, Cecelia pointed out the reprocusions from not walking that thin line, that also is true. Of course $$ is the bottom line; still NCL is more G/L/B friendly. The seem to take the attitude, we do not judge and we all as inclusive as we can be. Come sail us, have a good time, behave yourself and lead the life you choose. Only once on these boards have I seen someone complain about being mistreated by NCL because of a lifestyle. I quetioned then, what was behind the entire situation as I do not think NCL discriminates against anyone. this doesn't mean there may not be a handful of employees that have problems with certainl life styles but they are certainly in the minority. NMNita

Does NCL advertise in gay media?

While it is true that NCL seems not to advertise much at all, I have to say that I did send them a letter a while back commending them for advertising in the Advocate and OUT Traveller. I haven't seen ads lately, but I was very happy with them for doing it, especially since they dont seem to advertise much anywhere.

Does anyone know when the HBO documentary will be airing?

Ladyhill - Yes, it premieres this Thursday April 6 at 8PM. Obviously there will be many repeats of it as well. I have to tape it as I will be watching Survivor. :D

~Intrepid

Ladyhill - Yes, it premieres this Thursday April 6 at 8PM. Obviously there will be many repeats of it as well. I have to tape it as I will be watching Survivor. :D

~Intrepid

Me too! I'll also watch Survivor but the previews of "R family cruise" look great

If anyone misses the HBO show, I'll be glad to send you the tape after I view it;)

GMoney, I think you're missing everyone else's point which is that NCL's positive treatment of GLBT passengers is NOT limited to the R Family cruises, where they are simply chartering the ship.

NCL's positive treatment of GLBT passengers is year-round.

Reading the GLBT boards here, it seems that on just about every cruise line, passengers have to ASK for Friends of Dorothy meetings. Not so on NCL, they're automatically scheduled.

In light of RCCL's recent comments that they will not schedule FoD meetings anymore, NCL's approach is MUCH more friendly.

It's relatively easy for anyone equipped with gaydar to spot several "family" members among the crew, as well.

As for advertising, I don't see much NCL advertising anywhere....perhaps that's one way they manage to keep their prices down.

Stop focussing on who they're willing to lease their ship to, for a special charter, and instead focus on the year-round service they offer to ALL of their customers.

Bravo!

Well said;)

Archived