Question about various types of massages

LisaLisa87

Hello! Because of a recent injury, my doctor advised against the boat tour that I booked for St. Maarten during our upcoming Symphony cruise. DH and DD will still go (with my support), and I'm considering placating myself by booking a massage that day. I'm not really a spa person. I think I've had 3 massages in my life, and I'm pretty sure all of them were Swedish. I see that Royal offers a number of types, but the two that I'm most interested in are the Bamboo Massage and the Coconut Poultice Massage. Can anyone tell me about either of those? Alternatively, I could just take a taxi to Orient Beach, hang out at one of the beach clubs, and splurge on a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of rose. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you!

Personally, I'd stick with a Swedish massage. Those other 2 options you mentioned seem gimicky, and you just can't get the same muscle relaxation without the use of hands. I also wouldn't waste the money paying more for a "deep tissue" massage because in my experience (as someone who gets a massage every other week), each masseuse has their own technique and it's either deep tissue or it's not.

If the masseuse is a deep tissue person, they're gonna give you a deep tissue massage even if you book sweedish (which is just a regular massage but not as "strong"), and if they're a sweedish massage person, they're gonna give you a sweedish massage even if you book deep tissue. It just depends how strong their hands are (which is why I prefer male masseuses; you're almost always guaranteed a deep tissue massage because they tend to have stronger hands). 

Also - never go for the 50 minute, it's not long enough to give all the muscle groups enough time and something will feel rushed. Do the 75min or the 100min.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

I have had both the bamboo and the poultice (don't recall if it was coconut specifically or some other variety). I describe the bamboo as very intense. I don't recall anything special about the poultice, other than enjoying it. Both were nice, but hot stones is my favorite. The heat from the stones is very penetrating and soothing. I agree with going with the longer time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Bamboo is the best thing I’ve ever experienced in my life!!  So insanely good.  You can tell them the level of pressure you want, it doesn’t have to be super hard.  

Thanks for this input. I had ruled it out because I’m a massage lightweight and I don’t think I’d enjoy anything intense. That’s a pretty strong recommendation, though!

2 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thanks for this input. I had ruled it out because I’m a massage lightweight and I don’t think I’d enjoy anything intense. That’s a pretty strong recommendation, though!

They can do any level of pressure. It’s up to you.  The bamboo works your muscles so incredibly well, it’s very an intensely pleasurable massage.  I don’t like painful massages, trust me.