Captain's Cocktail and Repeaters Parties

Cruisedreamer1

To begin with they normally start at 5:30-5:45, are finished by 6:30 so early eaters can make their reservations.

The free drinks , for the Cpt’s Reception,will normally last until 8:00 in the bars for those not needing to eat early. Date varies, but often Night 2 of cruise.

The Repeater Party schedule varies significantly and you won’t know until you get your individual invitation prior to it happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In three cruises, we've never been to the Captain's reception. 5.30 is still afternoon for us and much too early for snacks & drinks. Later, we do take advantage of the free drinks in the bars. I'm sure we've been to one Repeater event which started later. 

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

The Captain’s reception depends on your itinerary. If there're sea days it’s often on the first sea day of your cruise. And it can be more than one repeater’s party depending on the number of repeating guests on the cruise.

Aka repeated repeaters 😜

READ your CURRENTS daily each night for the Captain's party.

On our recent B2B on Sirena, the 1st Captain's Cocktail Celebration was on Day 2 (a sea day) and the 2nd was on Day 3 (a non-sea day in Kotka, Finland). Both started at 1745 in the Sirena Lounge. Proper attire required. Complimentary cocktails served 1745-2000 in the Lounge and from 1800-2000 in Martinis and Horizons.

Pro tip: Avoid the drinks the servers try to fob off on you and order what you want. They push the cheap red & white wine & champagne, and usually have something like a rum punch on their tray, too. I always order a double Bailey's.

IIRC the Repeaters' Parties were Day 6 for the 1st (a 12-night cruise) and 5 for the 2nd (a 10-night cruise).

At our two Captain's Parties, which we did in the Sirena Lounge, they wanted you to order from the servers, rather than from the bar. No idea about Martinis, but would guess from the bar there. As for the Horizons, they might be more flexible, but I'd presume they, like in the Lounge, prefer ordering from servers.

• Thanks 1

You can do either.  If you go to the bar a server will usually say he or she will bring your drink to you.  If you like wine, the wine they serve on the trays really isn't bad, it's the usual wine they serve on the ship.  If you go in at the beginning it will be crowded and may take a while to get your drink.  I'm not picky and very happy with what is on the tray but I usually always have the prestige package and can get what I want later at no cost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EEB_Ott said:

At the Captain’s reception in Horizons, do you order a cocktail from the server or go to the bar? The servers look pretty busy circulating with their trays of wine. Thanks!

For the repeater's party in Horizons, one can do either -- order at the bar or from servers.  Once the crowd has arrived though, the bartenders are quite busy and it can take some time to get your drink.  Either way, you do not have to accept one of the pre-poured drinkers from the servers who are circulating around.  You may order what you prefer.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I wouldn't change any dinner plans to attend one of these over crowded parties for a free drink.  Just isn't worth being in a crowded room.

On some cruise lines, Public Relations and mixing with the passengers are a defined job description of the Ship’s Captain. This has never been the case with Oceania as far as I can remember. Some Captains never attend a Captain’s Reception and send the GM to replace them. They likewise don’t mix with the passengers even for brief walk by conversation. 

I don’t really care about this either way, but some passengers expect an Azamara type senior staff and that isn’t Oceania. One might go to multiple Captains Receptions and never meet the Captain. Some come regularly, some never at all.

• Like 1

Just this past month, our Bulgarian captain on Sirena did appear at his two Captain's Parties, but didn't go to either Repeaters' Party.

In the past if I wanted to meet and speak with the captain (Riviera 12/2021, Sirena 11/2022, & Riviera 11/2023), they could often be found in the smoking area. (Had an interesting discussion with our Russian captain in 2023, as we were both former military in our respective nations in the 1980s.) Our Bulgarian apparently didn't smoke. He was hard to see during the B2B.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On some cruise lines, Public Relations and mixing with the passengers are a defined job description of the Ship’s Captain. This has never been the case with Oceania as far as I can remember. Some Captains never attend a Captain’s Reception and send the GM to replace them. They likewise don’t mix with the passengers even for brief walk by conversation. 

I don’t really care about this either way, but some passengers expect an Azamara type senior staff and that isn’t Oceania. One might go to multiple Captains Receptions and never meet the Captain. Some come regularly, some never at all.

I agree, unfortunately Oceania management staff needs a course in Public Relations.  I've never understood why they spend so much Advertising dollars to get you on the ship-up don't train management on the ship to get you back. A good experience with staff equals returns.