Viking river cruise free air - no show ok or cancellation required?

CruiseNewbie4321

Hi, I'm new to cruising and I have been getting different answers from Viking regarding my question. We were given free air but we do not like the air reservation proposed (i.e., the reservation has us scheduled to land just 2.5 hours before the cruise departs).  The reservation has not yet been ticketed.  I called Viking Air and I was told that it will cost us more to change the Viking Air flight reservation than if we make our own reservation.  So, we would like to make our own air reservation to get in a day earlier than the day of the cruise's departure.  I would like to keep the Viking Air reservation if at all possible as a back-up just in case something goes wrong with our own reservation (because the Viking Air reservation was "free").  Assuming our own reservation works out ok, would it be ok to not show up for Viking's reservation or do I need to cancel it before ticketing? One Viking Air consultant said it would be ok to just not show up and there would be no penalty. Another consultant said we needed to cancel before ticketing; otherwise we would need to pay a cancellation/no show fee. Please advise.

Not sure this question has ever been asked or answered before but here is my take.

Viking Air comes with transportation so what happens when you just don’t show up for the flight? Will Viking and other guests be waiting at the airport for you tho arrive? Sounds like you’re adding a lot of unnecessary confusion that may affect others.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any surprise fees to be charged to me. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

I also have a cruise with free air. For fear of missing the cruise due to flight delay, I pay $100 for Air Deviation.  In addition, to make sure that I get flights with my preferred itinerary (least number of stops, minimal flight segments of no longer than 7 hours, sufficient stopover time to zoom to connecting flight, ability to select seat aisle or window, choices of airlines, and ability to book flight early to get best flight and seat), I pay $150 for Air Plus (which is nonrefundable even if I decide later not to take Viking free air). By paying the extra fees, I find the “free air” works out for me.

When it comes to promotion discounts, I prefer reduced fare over free air, because I prefer Business Air.  Problem with Viking air upgrade is that the upgrade charge is the same as the cost if I book independently without taking the free air, and that I need not pay extra for Air Plus and Air Deviation. The included airport transfer becomes useless if I depart early or return late.

As for your question about not showing up to the booked (and will be ticketed automatically before embarkation) flights, I would definitely inform Viking Air about cancelling to avoid unexpected charges.

When is your cruise?

First off, we always fly in one day early.

Arriving at the airport 2.5 hours before the ship leaves is not advisable and I am surprised Viking would even give you that kind of a timing.

Pay for deviation and pay for Air Plus BEFORE it is ticketed.

This is FREE air, so even if you are paying $100 pp for deviation, and $150 pp for Air Plus, it will still be cheaper than buying your own air tickets.

Viking will not give you any money back for purchasing your own air.

I will go as far as to say, if you "no show" there could be a fee that the airline charges and that would be your responsibility.

Personally I would not suggest doing what you are doing.

Go in one day early, and if you pay for Air Plus you have some say in your flights.  Still if there is a charge, it will still work out cheaper than buying your own air.

My opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You didn't mention if you planned to use Viking's reservation for your return home. In some cases if you don't show for one leg of a flight the airline cancels the rest of the booking. I'm surprised you say they have you scheduled to land 2.5 hours before the ship departs. I thought that was against Viking's policy.

Surprised at the 2.5 hour lead time before ship departs.  We usually do our own air and our guest statement states the number of hours before ship departure that we must arrive.  It is usually 3 or 4 hours before.  Same statement tells us the earliest flight departure time we should book.