Queen Anne 11th to 15th Oct 2024 Cruise - Indoor Pool Closed!

GSPG

What are we, just 4 months or so into the voyages of this new ship.

There are 4 of us booked on this cruise, and this morning we received a very disappointing email from Cunard to say the indoor pool will be closed for ‘essential maintenance’, whatever that is?

Oh, they say “but there is an outdoor pool available as an alternative”.

That’s really useful, an outdoor pool in October in the English channel, are you really kidding me!!

This will be our first time with Cunard and we booked this cruise to try the brand, to try a new ship, and the indoor pool was also a massive draw for us.

The ship on this cruise is more important to us than the destinations, and we fully expected the indoor pool to be a major part of this experience given what is on offer onboard.

Just what requires the pool to be closed for the whole cruise that can’t be fixed when it docks in Southampton?

We are very upset about this!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Is this the Pavilion pool? There's obviously an ongoing problem as it was closed for a few days on our sailing last month.

Yes it is.

Out of interest, what cruise were you on, how long was it for and how many days was the pool closed?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Yes it is.

Out of interest, what cruise were you on, how long was it for and how many days was the pool closed?

Thanks

It's a very recent thread, you would have seen it on page one.

14 minutes ago, MylesS said:

The pool seems to have been a problem since the ship launched, plenty of times over the course of our trips it’s been under maintenance.

And I’m not sure it has ever been fill as full as it should have been. Love the Pavilion though.

Thank you for all your accounts of this cruise.

We are on the next one due out on the 11th Oct.

Do you know if there are any current issues with the indoor pavilion pool? We have just been advised this morning it will be closed throughout our cruise because of ‘essential maintenance’, whatever that is!

It is a real blow for us as we were very much looking forward to using this pool, and all we have been offered is to use the outdoor pool where in October in the English channel is just ridiculous.

I’d be very grateful if you could pass on anything you might hear about this pool. It’s been closed before, probably on the sailing before yours so there must be quite an issue to want to close it again, and so soon. Is it actually safe!

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

It's a very recent thread, you would have seen it on page one.

Yes sorry, missed that thanks.

New to this side of the board being a newbie!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GSPG said:

Do you know if there are any current issues with the indoor pavilion pool? We have just been advised this morning it will be closed throughout our cruise because of ‘essential maintenance’, whatever that is!

It’s been open, at least it was yesterday. As I’ve mentioned over the last near 6 months it’s been hit or miss.

I’m also on the next cruise so I’ll try to find out some more information to what the problem is.

28 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

The pool may be closed, but the rest of the deck and hot tubs will be open

Thanks, but as I say the outdoor pool in October in the English Channel is a no no for us anyway 😀.

32 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Yes it is.

Thanks

I think it was closed for 2 or 3 days but I'll have to check my copies of the Daily Programme. I didn't go in after it re-opened so I don't know what was done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Thanks, but as I say the outdoor pool in October in the English Channel is a no no for us anyway 😀.

I think Poole Boy means the indoor Hot tubs by the Pavilion pool. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MylesS said:

It’s been open, at least it was yesterday. As I’ve mentioned over the last near 6 months it’s been hit or miss.

I’m also on the next cruise so I’ll try to find out some more information to what the problem is.

Really appreciate that, thank you.

So sounds like it’s been a problem since it’s been operating basically. That really isn’t good, and makes you wonder just how long will this go on for. 

20 minutes ago, GSPG said:

So sounds like it’s been a problem since it’s been operating basically. That really isn’t good, and makes you wonder just how long will this go on for.

In all fairness, and I know it won’t help, but it’s a new ship that will have technical problems anyways. 

There’s been higher priority stuff needed to be done, e.g one of the azipods having problems, etc.

I’m sure it will be resolved soon, but there’s always a priority to things. 

• Like 3

On the third sailing (naming cruise) the pool was nowhere near full and actually too shallow for most to swim safely in.  In May the pool had a considerable amount of capacity which was empty and appeared to be under a half full.  I am 5'6" and the water wasn't much above my knees on a couple of occasions and I could not actually swim in the pool on those days.

The depth seems to have been repeatedly mentioned in the reviews since so assumedly any essential maintenance may be to attempt rectifying this problem. 

34 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

Is the Panorama Pool heated?

I think it must be, it was nice and warm when I was in it. And the October weather in Southern England is very quixotic: it has sometimes been warm enough to swim in the sea, so the open pool might be fine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MylesS said:

In all fairness, and I know it won’t help, but it’s a new ship that will have technical problems anyways. 

There’s been higher priority stuff needed to be done, e.g one of the azipods having problems, etc.

I’m sure it will be resolved soon, but there’s always a priority to things. 

I should have read perhaps, but didn’t know there was a problem with an azipod! Will this be an ‘issue’ in a force 10 storm?

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think it must be, it was nice and warm when I was in it. And the October weather in Southern England is very quixotic: it has sometimes been warm enough to swim in the sea, so the open pool might be fine.

I was hoping we would be lucky with good weather, still a long way out but the latest charts suggest the chance of a violent storm during the early part of this sailing. If the charts verify, we won’t be going anywhere!

2 minutes ago, GSPG said:

I was hoping we would be lucky with good weather, still a long way out but the latest charts suggest the chance of a violent storm during the early part of this sailing. If the charts verify, we won’t be going anywhere!

Interesting. For Bournemouth the BBC shows merely a rather windy Friday afternoon, and, I’m sorry to say, quite a bit of rain. Plenty of time for it to change - for better or worse.

16 minutes ago, GSPG said:

I should have read perhaps, but didn’t know there was a problem with an azipod! Will this be an ‘issue’ in a force 10 storm?

No, it’s fixed now - my point was there’s just been larger problems to fix, and I suspect there’s still more that we’re not aware of.

If it was a simple fix it would have been done by now. 

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GSPG said:

Azipod was fixed in Barcelona no dramas. Always expect teething problems on new ships. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1