NCL Bait and Switch

kcjonesy

I wrote to NCL's Vice President of Guest Relations regarding the unacceptable change in itinerary.  Here is his response:

Dear Mr. Crawford,

Thank you for writing in regarding your concerns, we greatly appreciate the observations and feedback of our valued guests and regret to learn of any dissatisfaction.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by the change in itinerary. It is always our intention to adhere to the published itinerary, as we understand changes can be upsetting to our guests, however, at times, circumstances may necessitate modifications. We do our best when making these changes to provide alternate itineraries that are exciting for our guests and are sorry to learn you don't feel that the itinerary provided was sufficient. As we do reserve the right to make these changes at any time, and as we are not compensating all our guests for this particular change, we are, unfortunately, unable to provide any compensation for your reservation.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns and remain excited to welcome you aboard.

Andrew Martin on behalf of Katty Byrd

Senior Vice President, Guest Services

vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126 

• Thanks 1

that response is really no different than what is in the letter accompanying the announcement of a an itinerary/port change. the only new information is that they have chosen to deny compensation because they have chosen to deny compensation to others and they feel it wouldn't be fair to give you something that wasn't also given to others.

all of which might be understandable, if they apologized for their actions and provided a reason for the changes. what they've done is apologize if you were inconvenienced and they provide no reason for the change. my goodness, we all understand that, at certain times, circumstances may necessitate changes. nobody is really concerned with that. we understand. we're on team NCL... but what are the circumstances? 'splain, please and explain when and how the circumstances changed.  if they don't, we're left to think that the circumstances are a matter of convenience or provide for NCL or provide a cost benefit to NCL and are not being done for the safety, convenience or benefit of guests. 

by the way, the VP of guest services is a woman. the man who responded to your inquiry did so "on behalf" of her. 

5 hours ago, JimDee363636 said:

@david_sobe

I'm on that January 4-19, 2025 Jade cruise. There was no clear-cut reason given for the changes, just some sanctimonious BS from NCL about how they are committed to the environment, etc. 

Thanks for sharing.  With that amount of port changes I still think someone could be on board working on the engines or something.  Its a repositioning cruise, correct?  Maybe something has to be fixed before its new itinerary.  But I don't buy the excuse given.  I dont think they do it to screw customers purposely.  My hunch is something is out of the ordinary for such major changes.

• Haha 2

What beggars belief is that the same people who claim they are deeply dissatisfied with NCL and are constantly accusing them of pulling a fast one, end up booking with them time and again. If you really think the company is that bad, it's time to move on, no? Why would you keep giving them your money over and over? We have been very happy with NCL (and other lines, too).

Some people who luv2whine cannot resist trolling the NCL Boards, attacking NCL and anyone who defends NCL.  They can move on, but mysteriously, they don't.   No one at NCL will miss them.  Meanwhile, the hilarity of suggesting that it is best to contact the BBB . . .  hmm.  Do some research first about the BBB.  🤔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Thanks for sharing.  With that amount of port changes I still think someone could be on board working on the engines or something.  Its a repositioning cruise, correct?  Maybe something has to be fixed before its new itinerary.  But I don't buy the excuse given.  I dont think they do it to screw customers purposely.  My hunch is something is out of the ordinary for such major changes.

OK so where is the bait and switch?  You booked a cruise and agreed to the cruise contract.  Port changes are covered in that contract and it says something to the effect that ports can be changed at any time for any reason without explanation or compensation.  Does it suck when it happens?  Of course it does.  Should people book a cruise specifically because of a given port or ports? No npt at all.  Go on your cruise and enjoy yourself, don't sit around pouting and ruining your own cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

What beggars belief is that the same people who claim they are deeply dissatisfied with NCL and are constantly accusing them of pulling a fast one, end up booking with them time and again. If you really think the company is that bad, it's time to move on, no? Why would you keep giving them your money over and over? We have been very happy with NCL (and other lines, too).

Regardless of intent on the part of NCL - in the end, you have someone who carefully selected an itinerary for the ports who will be left disappointed with such a massive change.

Let's face it, once you've done the main Western/Eastern routes in the Caribbean a few times, you are only cruising the Carib for a unique itinerary or for the ship. 

In this case, seems the OP selected the itinerary for the ability to see ports of call a little off the "beaten path" but instead is being served a massive dose of ho-hum standard eastern Caribbean fare.

If the motivating factor in choosing this cruise in particular was the itinerary, I certainly appreciate their being upset, as I would be as well. The fact that NCL isn't budging in offering an acceptable solution is surprising. 

At least the OP should (hopefully) enjoy the ship - hubby and I cruised aboard the Jade last November and really enjoyed the ship. 

Ultimately, we as cruisers have a lot of power too: maybe not in this specific instance since the OP is past final payment, but we can certainly choose to cruise with another line in the future if we are not satisfied with the experience received or the price/value proposition. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Go on your cruise and enjoy yourself, don't sit around pouting and ruining your own cruise!

Wow, PartyPooperLady! What super helpful advice! You should be a motivational speaker! 

Here's some real advice OP... Don't listen to the haters on this site. You have legitimate concerns and are very justified in being upset!

BTW: Your post is the last straw for me. I'm done with NCL. Mark my words, I won't sail NCL every again (unless someone else pays for my cruise 🤣)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

Some people who luv2whine cannot resist trolling the NCL Boards, attacking NCL and anyone who defends NCL.  They can move on, but mysteriously, they don't.   No one at NCL will miss them.  Meanwhile, the hilarity of suggesting that it is best to contact the BBB . . .  hmm.  Do some research first about the BBB.  🤔

Exactly.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, mad as heck said:

Why do we book again; cause NCL has sold us credits to use on other cruises.  And then hopefully, I'll get the rest of my payment (as a credit), so I am forced to continue to use NCL to use up my credits.  I will find a way and then no more NCL for me! 

You'll be back. I see the same thing on Virgin and MSC: People who swear "this is the last time" and then a short time later, they're bragging about booking again with the same cruise line.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

Nice contribution to our discussion and deflection from the issue being discussed, which fails by the way. Many resort to silly, childish nicknames when blind loyalty clouds sound judgment. This cloudiness leads to them confusing whining with stating facts.

No trolling here. We have already moved on from cruising with NCL and enjoy our time on other lines. But, if all you want here is people that praise and share your beliefs, why don't you move on and go start your own message so you can monitor and censor people. What we intend to do is follow current trends in the industry on this message board by providing information and receiving information. Please try to have a positive day.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

OK so where is the bait and switch?  You booked a cruise and agreed to the cruise contract.  Port changes are covered in that contract and it says something to the effect that ports can be changed at any time for any reason without explanation or compensation.  Does it suck when it happens?  Of course it does.  Should people book a cruise specifically because of a given port or ports? No npt at all.  Go on your cruise and enjoy yourself, don't sit around pouting and ruining your own cruise!

Oh dear, you are grossly misinterpreting the intent of the cruise contract which is to provide flexibility in the rare, unforeseen case of civil unrest, hurricanes, medical emergencies.

We are talking here about making behind the scenes itinerary changes, withholding those changes from existing and prospective guests, and then announcing the change at the last minute. 

NCL can't disclaim repeated misconduct or negligence in courts, but you are free to keep citing the terms of the contact. Other cruisecritic members could benefit from understanding contract law. It is not black and white as the above post implies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

Meanwhile, the hilarity of suggesting that it is best to contact the BBB . . .  hmm.  Do some research first about the BBB.  🤔

I don't know that this will result in anything.  But I have had some phenomenal results from contacting the BBB when I believed a business was in the wrong and they claimed to be in the right.  I've never been dissatisfied after the BBB claim was resolved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

NCL can't disclaim repeated misconduct or negligence in courts, but you are free to keep citing the terms of the contact. Other cruisecritic members could benefit from understanding contract law. It is not black and white as the above post implies.

How is one going to prove actual negligence in court?  Has such a lawsuit ever been successful?

13 minutes ago, ChiCruzr said:

How is one going to prove actual negligence in court?  Has such a lawsuit ever been successful?

Ask a lawyer.  I would imagine through records subpoenas.

I have no idea. Probably never been litigated. Never been an issue with other lines

23 hours ago, kcjonesy said:

I wrote to NCL's Vice President of Guest Relations regarding the unacceptable change in itinerary.  Here is his response:

Dear Mr. Crawford,

Thank you for writing in regarding your concerns, we greatly appreciate the observations and feedback of our valued guests and regret to learn of any dissatisfaction.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by the change in itinerary. It is always our intention to adhere to the published itinerary, as we understand changes can be upsetting to our guests, however, at times, circumstances may necessitate modifications. We do our best when making these changes to provide alternate itineraries that are exciting for our guests and are sorry to learn you don't feel that the itinerary provided was sufficient. As we do reserve the right to make these changes at any time, and as we are not compensating all our guests for this particular change, we are, unfortunately, unable to provide any compensation for your reservation.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns and remain excited to welcome you aboard.

Andrew Martin on behalf of Katty Byrd

Senior Vice President, Guest Services

vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126 

This letter is excellent, I'd say the issue has been handled and it's case closed.

• Haha 2