Hurricane Milton

The hurricane is supposed to hit landfall Tuesday night. So it may not seem severe now, but in 24 hours, it probably will. Orlando airport will be closed on Wednesday. I'd fully expect all of Disney's parks and Universal to be closed on Wednesday. Milton morphed quickly into a category 5 hurricane. I wouldn't take this storm lightly.

Port Everglades is closing as of Midnight tonight (per port website) as they are going to Port Condition Yankee set by the USCG, which closes the port to ships. Right now the biggest ship affected is the Sun Princess coming in off of a TA.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gsmith2424 said:

Port Everglades is closing as of Midnight tonight (per port website) as they are going to Port Condition Yankee set by the USCG, which closes the port to ships. Right now the biggest ship affected is the Sun Princess coming in off of a TA.

We got off the Sun right before the TA so we have been watching closely. Captain had announced they are going back to sea with the intention of making port on Friday. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

We are on LBK as well. Bugging out first thing tomorrow.

We got hit very, very bad by Helene. The storm surge for Milton is predicted to be upwards of 12 feet. That may level the island!

I’ve read of reports of gas shortages along the evacuation corridor. Hopefully you won’t encounter this. God speed and be safe!

We are booked on a Viking Cruise planned to leave Port Everglades on the 10th.  Just read that the port is closing 12:01 am on the 8th.  I call Viking and there is no update or cruise changes. Seems unbelievable to me.  Am uncomfortable flying into Florida for my own safety and getting in the way of the the needs of the local citizens.  I feel like I may be taking a room from someone who needs one for evacuation.  

2 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

We are on LBK as well. Bugging out first thing tomorrow.

We got hit very, very bad by Helene. The storm surge for Milton is predicted to be upwards of 12 feet. That may level the island!

We spent a Covid era staycation at Zota on your lovely island.  Your comment just made me gulp.🥲

53 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’ve read of reports of gas shortages along the evacuation corridor. Hopefully you won’t encounter this. God speed and be safe!

70% of stations in Fort Myers are reportedly out of gas.  But supposedly more is on the way.  We have both vehicles topped off and are staying put.  We are inland enough.  Milton, don’t prove me wrong.😑 😥

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, paysoncruise said:

We are booked on a Viking Cruise planned to leave Port Everglades on the 10th.  Just read that the port is closing 12:01 am on the 8th.  I call Viking and there is no update or cruise changes. Seems unbelievable to me.  Am uncomfortable flying into Florida for my own safety and getting in the way of the the needs of the local citizens.  I feel like I may be taking a room from someone who needs one for evacuation.  

I empathize with you.  But I also emphasize with Viking.  Like every other cruise line, they don't want to make any moves that they don't absolutely have to.  The closure of PE might force their hands, but then again, Milton figures to be just a bad memory by Thursday afternoon - if there's an impact to that area at all.

I suggest patience, but it's easy for me to do - I'm not in your shoes.  I hope things work out well for you in these troubled times. 🙏

Posted (edited)

As far as Tampa cruises go, Tampa airport is ceasing operations on Tuesday morning at 9am.  Will not open until any damage has been assessed.

As of this moment, Milton has winds of 190 miles per hour, a top end category 5.  At landfall on Wednesday winds are expected to be 145 mph, weakening somewhat to 125 a little further inland.  Surge in Tampa Bay depends on where the hurricane makes landfall - it could be 12 feet plus (some even think 20 feet), but less if the hurricane landfalls much south of Tampa.

There will be issues with storm surge on the east coast of Florida in areas that are within the cone.

Present track looks like a worse case for the Tampa Bay Area. 

Edited by greenbeanie
add current winds
  • Thanks 1

@TheCenterOfTheLabyrinth Yup they can do pretty much whatever they want. You can board and pretty much not get off any port and come back to disembark when they say. Yes, I think there should be a reform about cruise industry policies when there is a named storm.

Just saw the update. I dont know how they expect people to fly in or stay Wednesday during a hurricane to board the next day nor do I know how they are going to arrive to port on Thursday when there will still be tropical storm winds 

• Like 1

I would not expect Tampa port to be open anytime before Friday, at the very earliest. We are 1.5 hours south of Tampa and just about everything in the Bay area south is shutting down starting tomorrow morning. Earliest reasonable time winds will arrive is 8am Wednesday. If this goes into the Bay, the storm surge will be devastating for Tampa. If it comes in south of Tampa, they will be spared the worst while those of us further south will get the brunt of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

70% of stations in Fort Myers are reportedly out of gas.  But supposedly more is on the way.  We have both vehicles topped off and are staying put.  We are inland enough.  Milton, don’t prove me wrong.😑 😥

Keeping fingers crossed for you my friend!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Keeping fingers crossed for you my friend!

Thanks Peaches.

We will be hunkered down watching this unfold through our impact glass picture window until night falls on Wednesday.

Then, we will restlessly listening for tree limbs cracking and projecting and other unidentifiable loud sounds.   We have been through a couple of these and would much rather be away on a cruise like we were two years ago during Hurricane Ian.

I took my mind off Milton a little bit this week by booking our first AK cruise.  Summit southbound May 29, 2026.😀 

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Meli1234 said:

@TheCenterOfTheLabyrinth Yup they can do pretty much whatever they want. You can board and pretty much not get off any port and come back to disembark when they say. Yes, I think there should be a reform about cruise industry policies when there is a named storm.

Just saw the update. I dont know how they expect people to fly in or stay Wednesday during a hurricane to board the next day nor do I know how they are going to arrive to port on Thursday when there will still be tropical storm winds 

Reform??

They are a business and everything they are doing are things in the contract that you signed.  That is why they recommend trip insurance.

I know you are frustrated with your situation and I am still hoping I can board on 10-13, but this is the risk we both took in booking the cruise.

Ok im really annoyed at MSC i just called and no answers as of what will happen. They said they have no word on port canaveral being closed. COME ONNNNN you just went through this 10 days ago!!! You know Port Canaveral will be closed and you wont be allowed back to port till Friday. They did mentioned a full refund at this point I will love to get a full refund instead of waiting and see when can i schedule again. I also don't want to get a shorter cruise just to leave on Friday without knowing the extend of the damage here in land after it passes. 

As a local resident its not really a big deal to reschedule  but to have all this uncertainty and people who are traveling and the airport is closed etc it seems like a huge annoying situation to deal with the fact that they have no answers on will happen to their trip.  

All major cruiselines have sent communications out MSC refuses to plan ahead.

The 2 cruiseships expected on port canaveral today reroute their port day and went elsewhere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nestsimar said:

Ok im really annoyed at MSC i just called and no answers as of what will happen. They said they have no word on port canaveral being closed. COME ONNNNN you just went through this 10 days ago!!! You know Port Canaveral will be closed and you wont be allowed back to port till Friday. They did mentioned a full refund at this point I will love to get a full refund instead of waiting and see when can i schedule again. I also don't want to get a shorter cruise just to leave on Friday without knowing the extend of the damage here in land after it passes. 

As a local resident its not really a big deal to reschedule  but to have all this uncertainty and people who are traveling and the airport is closed etc it seems like a huge annoying situation to deal with the fact that they have no answers on will happen to their trip.  

The 2 cruiseships expected on port canaveral today reroute their port day and went elsewhere. 

MSC has some official information up right now and says they will post an update this afternoon:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-itinerary-changes-and-cancellations

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, eppler said:

Reform??

They are a business and everything they are doing are things in the contract that you signed.  That is why they recommend trip insurance.

I know you are frustrated with your situation and I am still hoping I can board on 10-13, but this is the risk we both took in 

I really didn't realize dates could be altered up to three days. I knew ports and such could change, but ignorantly, I guess, I didn't realize they could change cruise dates. I wonder how people navigate that with flights and time off...hopefully get insurance, as you suggested. 

Edited by TheCenterOfTheLabyrinth
Typo

39 minutes ago, Nestsimar said:

They have offered you a full refund at this point?

Do they ever switch ports? I'm wondering if there's any chance of Enchantment (10/12 departure from Tampa) being rerouted to Miami, Galveston, New Orleans, if the Tampa port is devastated by the storm surge. We are supposed to fly in Friday afternoon.