Missing the Promenade

madjohn

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Recent cruise from japan to australia on diamond princes the promenade deck was always busy with many people sitting, standing, walking, and enjoying the wrap around teak deck....

We were on Diamond a couple of weeks ago and went to walk around the promenade but ran into a chained off staircase towards the front on both sides. I had thought you could walk a full lap?

16 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

We were on Diamond a couple of weeks ago and went to walk around the promenade but ran into a chained off staircase towards the front on both sides. I had thought you could walk a full lap?

they close the part up the steps when it is rough or windy or rainy for safety reasons as it can get rough and slippery at the very front of the ship...but you can still walk almost a full lap just skipping the up the stairs section.

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

they close the part up the steps when it is rough or windy or rainy for safety reasons as it can get rough and slippery at the very front of the ship...but you can still walk almost a full lap just skipping the up the stairs section.

Thanks! Next time hopefully it will be open

• Like 1

As someone who walks 4-5 miles a day on land, I appreciate the promenade deck.  I have used the running track on Enchanted and it’s a poor substitute. And don’t get me started on treadmills.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

Don’t miss them at all, but what they have done on Sun Princess (deck 9) is brilliant.

IMG_8004.jpeg

This is not a new concept, NCL was the first I believe to have this on their ships called The Waterfront and Carnival put this on their newer ships, well maybe not newer, the ones I’ve been on that have it, is Magic, Panorama & Firenze, they call it the Lanai.

Edited by tonit964

42 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Until it rains!

We had torrential rain when we visited Bar (Kotor replacement!) The crew simply removed the seat covers and there was ample seating underneath the structural overhang.

btw P&O had this deck area on its ship Arvia, when it was delivered in December 2022!

On 10/13/2024 at 6:40 PM, Xrayal said:

Those who are share holders and those who want cruising to remain affordable.

Share holders might like increased revenue. Surely to remain affordable passengers should not want increased revenue and end up paying out more money.

Regards John

12 hours ago, dockman said:

They close the part up the steps when it is rough or windy or rainy for safety reasons as it can get rough and slippery at the very front of the ship...but you can still walk almost a full lap just skipping the up the stairs section.

When the forward upper section is open and people are jogging the complete circuit in the opposite direction, sneaking through the front doors and switching from port to starboard can really improve your lap times and perceived athletic prowess.

Regards John

2 hours ago, john watson said:

Share holders might like increased revenue. Surely to remain affordable passengers should not want increased revenue and end up paying out more money.

Regards John

ok put up a turnstyle and charge to use the prom deck..i am only half kidding..but i would be more likely to pay the fare than spend the money in a shop buying t shirts refrigerator magnets and bunch of touristy garbage to take home put in drawer then end up in yard sales.

Absolutely agree.  We love the promenade deck for exercising and also love to sit in the steamer chairs as we find it quieter than sitting by the pool.  A great loss as far as we are concerned.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sff said:

Absolutely agree.  We love the promenade deck for exercising and also love to sit in the steamer chairs as we find it quieter than sitting by the pool.  A great loss as far as we are concerned.

One of the few remaining places that you can get some peace and quiet away from piped in music etc...I have made a vow after almost 100 cruises that i will not go on ships with no prom deck.  It is that important to me and I suspect a lot of others.  Cruise lines of course don't care if they lose an elite customer and bean counters will continue to try and find a way to shove more and more shops into the ships until enough people say "enough".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1