? On Sun Princess Upgrade Bid - Sanctuary Balcony

antmaril

My friend and I are currently booked in a Guaranteed Deluxe Balcony on the Sun Princess in January, 2025.  We recently received an email offering several possibilities to bid for an Upgrade.    We made a “strong” bid on a Sanctuary Balcony cabin, which, of course, includes Sanctuary Collection benefits.  When I read the description of the Sanctuary Collection Benefits, it clearly states that the Premier Package is included.   Can someone please confirm that this is the situation?  If they accept our offer, the Premier Package will be included?  Before we received this offer to bid, it was our intention to add the Plus Package once we get closer to our sail date.  

Just trying to understand exactly what we bid on.  There seems to be conflicting opinions on this.  

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, antmaril said:

My friend and I are currently booked in a Guaranteed Deluxe Balcony on the Sun Princess in January, 2025.  We recently received an email offering several possibilities to bid for an Upgrade.    We made a “strong” bid on a Sanctuary Balcony cabin, which, of course, includes Sanctuary Collection benefits.  When I read the description of the Sanctuary Collection Benefits, it clearly states that the Premier Package is included.   Can someone please confirm that this is the situation?  If they accept our offer, the Premier Package will be included?  Before we received this offer to bid, it was our intention to add the Plus Package once we get closer to our sail date.  

Just trying to understand exactly what we bid on.  There seems to be conflicting opinions on this.  

Thank you!

Booked after April 23/24 the Sanctuary Balcony includes the premier package.

Bidding - I would clarify with your travel agent- as some posters on here are not up to date on the changes.

9 minutes ago, dog said:

Booked after April 23/24 the Sanctuary Balcony includes the premier package.

Bidding - I would clarify with your travel agent- as some posters on here are not up to date on the changes.

Thank you!  I don’t have a travel agent.  We booked directly with Princess.  The CVP we booked with is no longer there.  

Obviously, if they accept our bid, it would be after April 2024.  So…

I just got notice of a bid accepted for an upgrade from a base mini to a sanctuary mini (I bit the absolute minimum amount it would let me for that).  We had booked the cruise with the plus package.  

Now, the interesting part:  If you look at the fine print in the bidding site, there's definitely wording that kinda implies that the drink package would *not* be upgraded if you get the bid accepted.  That said, right now my app is showing that we now have the premiere package, and it looks like we can do everything with that including booking specialty restaurants at no charge.  I didn't necessarily expect it, but won't argue if it really turns out to be true.  

(And FWIW, my bid was lower than the cost difference between plus and premiere.)

9 minutes ago, piper28 said:

I just got notice of a bid accepted for an upgrade from a base mini to a sanctuary mini (I bit the absolute minimum amount it would let me for that).  We had booked the cruise with the plus package.  

Now, the interesting part:  If you look at the fine print in the bidding site, there's definitely wording that kinda implies that the drink package would *not* be upgraded if you get the bid accepted.  That said, right now my app is showing that we now have the premiere package, and it looks like we can do everything with that including booking specialty restaurants at no charge.  I didn't necessarily expect it, but won't argue if it really turns out to be true.  

(And FWIW, my bid was lower than the cost difference between plus and premiere.)

Thank you for your thoughts.  I read the Terms and Conditions on the bidding site again and it doesn’t address the Premier Package specifically.  However, the description of both the Sanctuary Mini-Suite and the Sanctuary Balcony upgrades specifically include the “perks of the Sanctuary Collection”.  The Princess website clearly includes the Premier Package in the description of the Sanctuary Collection.  

Not sure what to think.  Thank you again.  Congrats on your upgrade!

BTDT.....

Cancel your bid now if it has not been accepted.  And change your approach.

The Package is NOT included in bids.  The cabin upgrade and all other benefits ARE included.

Your current package, if you have one,  will stand, as is.  Since you have a cabin that did not come with a package, your upgrade will not come with a package.

There are very few of these Sanctuary Balconies.  So, very little chance for one to ope up.

If you go online, like you are booking another cabin, and see quite a few Sanctuary MiniSuites open, bid on those.

(Just checked, and these seem to be sold out, too!)

For me, there were several Sanctuary Minis showing available. I placed the exact same WEAK bid amount on both categories.

the bid for the Sanctuary Mini was accepted almost immediately.

With everything being sold out, you might need more luck than I did.

It was the best decision ever!

Good Luck!

Edited by Wishing on a star

5 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

BTDT.....

Cancel your bid now if it has not been accepted.  And change your approach.

The Package is NOT included in bids.  The cabin upgrade and all other benefits ARE included.

Your current package, if you have one,  will stand, as is.  Since you have a cabin that did not come with a package, your upgrade will not come with a package.

There are very few of these Sanctuary Balconies.  So, very little chance for one to ope up.

If you go online, like you are booking another cabin, and see quite a few Sanctuary MiniSuites open, bid on those.

(Just checked, and these seem to be sold out, too!)

For me, there were several Sanctuary Minis showing available. I placed the exact same WEAK bid amount on both categories.

the bid for the Sanctuary Mini was accepted almost immediately.

With everything being sold out, you might need more luck than I did.

It was the best decision ever!

Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  It is confusing because the Sanctuary Collection perks clearly include the Premier Package.   I am going to contact Princess tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer to this question.  

I see people on Facebook talking about their upgrade bids and wondering if they will be refunded for the cost of the Plus Package or Premier Package if their Sanctuary Collection bid is accepted.  Clearly, many folks are assuming the Premier Package is included in the Sanctuary Collection perks because it is described that way on the website.  

I am going to try to get an answer from Princess.  Maybe I will start a Chat.  

Upgrades should be cabin and Sanctuary only but not premier. However, Princess IT seems to have a glitch where the website and app will show Premier.  Check the travel summary , that should be correct.   But then again, who knows with Princess...everything changes on a dime.

I just called Princess (I couldn’t get the Chat feature to work) to pose this question and the fellow I spoke with assured me that if my bid for the Sanctuary Collection is accepted, it WILL include the Premier Package.  

I asked this question on Facebook (I belong to a Sun Princess Group) and more than one person confirmed that they did, indeed, receive the Premier Package when their bid on a Sanctuary Collection Cabin was accepted.  

So…

Edited by antmaril
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Upgrades should be cabin and Sanctuary only but not premier. However, Princess IT seems to have a glitch where the website and app will show Premier.  Check the travel summary , that should be correct.   But then again, who knows with Princess...everything changes on a dime.

Why would you think the upgrade bid doesn't get the Premier Cruise Package included?

Several people on FB have confirmed they bid for a Sanctuary Collection upgrade, for it, and it included the Premier package..

The Bid Upgrade FAQs clearly stated you get the perks of whatever room you upgrade to:

"16. Will I receive all the amenities of a Reserve Collection Mini Suite or a full suite if I am upgraded to such categories?

Yes! You will receive all the amenities of the upgraded stateroom category. However, you will not receive double cruise credits for a full suite with the upgrade"

so I'm curious why you think you would NOT get the Premier Cruise Package in a successful upgrade bid. Thanks..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Yes,  check the travel summary in your personalizer. If all items in the premier package are included they will be listed: wifi, SD, CA, unlimited drinks, photos etc.

If these are not listed it is most likely a glitch, website error, as many have found out when they boarded last Saturday. I had the glitch on my app & in my personalizer and got it resolved before I boarded.

There were different conditions depending on when your original booking was made

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I know back when I did the bid originally, something in the terms and conditions made me think that this would be true, and the package wouldn't be upgraded.  Maybe was interpretting the "No, the upgrade doesn't include any additional perks" part of whether the upgrade includes any additional promotions or not?  Honestly, can't remember exactly what wording it was that made me think that.

(I think there's a couple of ways to interpret the premiere and sanctuary - is premiere part of the perks of being in sanctuary, or is it just that you can only price sanctuary if you also purchase premiere.  While it sounds the same, there's some difference there, and would give them the wiggle room not to upgrade it on a bid upgrade.)

That said, everything, the web, the app, and the travel summary on the website, all show that we now have premiere.  At this point, I think we'd have at least some basis for an argument if I get on the ship and they no, that's not true.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Why would you think the upgrade bid doesn't get the Premier Cruise Package included?

Several people on FB have confirmed they bid for a Sanctuary Collection upgrade, for it, and it included the Premier package..

The Bid Upgrade FAQs clearly stated you get the perks of whatever room you upgrade to:

"16. Will I receive all the amenities of a Reserve Collection Mini Suite or a full suite if I am upgraded to such categories?

Yes! You will receive all the amenities of the upgraded stateroom category. However, you will not receive double cruise credits for a full suite with the upgrade"

so I'm curious why you think you would NOT get the Premier Cruise Package in a successful upgrade bid. Thanks..

I have to look for it, I cant remember and I spoke to a rep as well, but take that with a grain of salt. It had to do with the Sanctuary benefits are dining and the Sanctuary. The package was included if you booked it originally but it wasn't part of the "Sanctuary" benefits. Hey, I can't make heads or tails of Princess lately.   Also, if you had previously paid for the Premier it would follow you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FLAlaska said:

I have to look for it, I cant remember and I spoke to a rep as well, but take that with a grain of salt. It had to do with the Sanctuary benefits are dining and the Sanctuary. The package was included if you booked it originally but it wasn't part of the "Sanctuary" benefits. Hey, I can't make heads or tails of Princess lately.   Also, if you had previously paid for the Premier it would follow you. 

I know that those who'd booked Reserve cabins prior to the change in April that were reclassified to Sanctuary did not have the Premier Cruise Package included..That was and still is, in the FAQs for Sanctuary..

That's entirely separate from bidding for an upgrade... 

Just now, reedprincess said:

I know that those who'd booked Reserve cabins prior to the change in April that were reclassified to Sanctuary did not have the Premier Cruise Package included..That was and still is, in the FAQs for Sanctuary..

That's entirely separate from bidding for an upgrade... 

I can only tell you what I have been told. Hey, maybe its changed or they were wrong. That would be great. I mean if you are bidding $630/pp or less, thats basically just paying for the Premier on a 7 day. That would be amazing.  I just recommend everyone check their travel summary and don't automatically go by the app or website after a winning bid.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I can only tell you what I have been told. Hey, maybe its changed or they were wrong. That would be great. I mean if you are bidding $630/pp or less, thats basically just paying for the Premier on a 7 day. That would be amazing.  I just recommend everyone check their travel summary and don't automatically go by the app or website after a winning bid.  

I can only report what people have actually experienced, along with what Princess themselves notes - and that is that the Premier Cruise Package WAS included for those who've bid. Several have sailed already and reported that ,yes indeed, they had Premier package, used it liberally and no issues...

• Like 1

We just sailed,  As I said...  BTDT.  If it is different now, and if this is a change, then so be it.

Perhaps this is a change taking effect on a specific sailing date?

Princess should be up-front here.

I will say this.

The amount we bid is LESS than the cost of the Premier Package.

if our bid SHOULD have included the Premier Package,  then we are due a refund.

Thing is, the amount we bid, and any refund of the full PREMIER package, would be FAR, FAR greater than the amount we paid to upgrade.

Methinks Princess is messing around with things and changing things, flying by the seat of their pants again.

No wonder all of the confusion is back!!!!

• Thanks 1

Reed Princess...

Could these people have already booked the Premier Package, as we had?

Can you post quotes or links?

Or, perhaps, the upgrade system is taking the cost of auto-upgrading and including the Premier Package into account when calculating whether to accept a bid or not.

I can say that up until shortly before we sailed, it was very clear that bidding was for the Cabin and the other perks and not the Package.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

The thing is, you need to know this BEFORE YOU BID.

When a bid is accepted, it is a done deal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We just sailed,  and if this is a change, then so be it.

Perhaps this is a change taking effect on a specific sailing date?

Princess should be up-front here.

I will say this.

The amount we bid is LESS than the cost of the Premier Package.

if our bid SHOULD have included the Premier Package,  then we are due a refund.

Thing is, the amount we bid, and any refund of the full PREMIER package would be 

FAR, FAR greater than the amount we paid to upgrade.

Methinks Princess is messing around with things and changing things, flying by the seat of their pants again.

No wonder all of the confusion is back!!!!

You know. YOU just experienced this situation.

The line at GS has been a long one with some expecting the premier packages and not getting it, while others are getting the premier, but they provided proof of items listed in their travel summary and their fare was

much higher, as the Sanctuary Collection increased a lot after April 23/24.

Cannot reply on fb posts, but we know we can rely on your posts.

True!!!!   Thanks.

I do understand that if any credible reports are coming in at all,  then the way they are looking at these upgrades could have changed.  Perhaps it now includes the Package.  (as everyone has 'demanded')...  But now Princess is accounting for this in the amount that is bid????

Lower bids would simply not be accepted.