Confused....

KAJOKG

We are new to river cruising. Have been going through brochures and we are confused. It would seem that Viking is best. How about Trafalgar and Globus....Do they use Uniworld and Avalon (I think that's it), or do they run these tours themselves? We are looking at the Queen cruise offered by Trafalgar. Would appreciate any input at all. Many thanks

My suggestion would be go directly with the cruise company. Look at Uniworld, Grand Circle, Viking or Vantage. Check them out on the internet.

Not sure Trafalgar would be my choice for a river cruise.

My suggestion would be go directly with the cruise company. Look at Uniworld, Grand Circle, Viking or Vantage. Check them out on the internet.

Not sure Trafalgar would be my choice for a river cruise.

I have heard that Uniworld was sold...Also heard that Trafalgar is offering Uniworld cruises. Any truth to those rumors?

Thanks so much for your replies. So far I'm leaning towards Viking. Anyone have a River Cruise line preference, and why? We have done lots and lots of traveling and cruising with big cruise lines, but this will be a new experience. We want to do it right. Thinking of The Netherlands and to include Belgium and Germany.

Trafalgar last year purchased Uniworld. Uniworld still operates as a separate company, but Trafalgar offers their river cruises.

Same way with Globus. They own Avalon and offer it's river cruises.

Brendan I believe is also a partner with Globus, and offers Avalon and Amedeus river cruises.

Viking is independent, as far as I know.

We did a Christmas Market cruise with Uniworld and it was very good. Went to Russia with Uniworld and it was great. We did a Danube River cruise with Avalon and it was great. Going to the Black Sea with Avalon this summer.

All cruise lines are pretty good. Suggest you pick itinerary first, then go with that company. Then use a travel agent rather than booking directly with Uniworld, Viking, Avalon, etc.

We would highly recommed that you check out Vantage river cruises. Took the Christmas/New Years cruise this past year and it was absolutely magical. And it is advertised for 2006 holidays at even less money than we paid last year. As veterans of over 16 ocean line cruises, this will be a much more relaxed and interesting cruise- just don't look for the big nightlife or gambling on board. We did have entertainment most evenings but it was of the local variety and most was very good. On a river cruise you learn so much more of the local history and the scenery is just breathtaking! Food was good, accommodations good and the crew and tour managers were the most outstanding we have ever had - I would sign up again in a heartbeat! Currently looking for another Vantage river cruise with an itinerary we would like - we will find something for sure. Value for money was just excellent and I just cannot say enough about the crew and tour managers - my husband's take on it was "this is about as close as you can get to being on a private yacht for the average person - just spectacular. Do some investigating - either booking early or very late offers the best bargains for pricing - and you will get every penny's worth that you spend. Absolutely outstanding - book them now!

:cool: If you go in winter, it is very unique for those of us who live in the south and we met so many wonderful people that we would love to cruise with again!

I have to agree with Cindiedee about Vantage Travel. Went on their Holland to Hungary cruise last August. Was so impressed with them that we signed up for their China and the Yangtze trip NEXT May (2007) They gave us everything we were scheduled to get and more. A truly magical trip.

p.s. For Cindiedee, we are on the other side of Florida, Largo.

Back about Vantage Travel. Check out their web site and look at their river cruises. Then check out the others. Check out "apples for apples" and compare the costs. Willard

After a lot of studying and going around to meet the presidents of the various river cruise companies, I have decided to travel on and sell Viking..I feel they are an extremely reliable company and was very impressed by what I heard of their plans while I was in their offices..

Jan

After a lot of studying and going around to meet the presidents of the various river cruise companies, I have decided to travel on and sell Viking..I feel they are an extremely reliable company and was very impressed by what I heard of their plans while I was in their offices..

Jan

DH and I are already booked on Viking and paid in full for June 25 Amsterdam to Budapest. But your comment regarding "their plans" is too tantalizing to ignore. I fully expect to enjoy this cruise, and may consider booking with them again. Can you share what you learned that impressed you so?

Hi Ventura girl..I see we are neighbors..

The plans for the future, new ships new routes..just all kinds of exciting plans....have a great trip and please post a review when you get back!!

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

We looked into all the different riverboat companies for Russia. Unfortunately, all the companies seem to use their oldest boats, with tiny cabins and "Showers on the toilet" unless you pay thousands extra for the suites. As the itineraries are all the same, we decided to go with Amadeus. The cabins are 20 sf bigger and they have a separate shower area and about 100 less passengers than Viking or Uniworld.

I think you'll like river cruising once you try it. We did the Viking southern France trip 2 years ago, are leaving Fri. for a GCT Danube cruise starting with 3 night in Prague. I'll post a reply & comparison when we return. Above poster was right, not much night life, no gambling, but a great way to visit Europe. Unpack once (or for this trip twice), have some tours & some time to explore on your own. What i esp. liked was where the ship docks tends to be the older, more interesting part of the city & you could walk & explore on your own. Not as much selection at mealtime as on an ocean cruise, but the foot was quite good & quite ample. Will post upon our return.

Archived