Star has arrived!!

bjcanady

I asked some workers who came through the gate for a break if they know when the Princess will leave Bremerhaven. They told it's scheduled for Friday, May 12th, but because the work which has to be done it also could be one day later. I think it looks good for all who have booked for May 15th.

Frank

Spoke with my Star friends today. The plans are to leave on the 13th to arrive in Copenhagen on the 15th :)

We have Frank, who spoke with the workers actually doing the repairs who say that the Star is scheduled to leave on Friday, but may be delayed 1 day. We also have a poster who has contacts on the crew, and the crew is reporting that they have been told they are leaving Saturday and arriving in Copenhagen on Monday. I would say these are probably the 2 most credible sources we have. All the other posts, including my previous ones, are merely speculation.

Its a week before the "back in service" cruise, and Princess (who I might add has kept to their announced timetable during this entire incident) has not announced anything that would lead anyone to believe that their plan is unworkable. Given all this, I think the reasonable assumption is that she will be back in service on the 15th as planned barring any announcement to the contrary. The good news is that all this speculation will end by the end of this week! :D

If the ship and returning crew arrive in Copenhagen Monday morning then the cruise will run but it will be a hectic departure day and perhaps not all services will be just perfect for a day or two.

Just as an alternative view, I wouldn't be surprised if the exterior is restored and the hallways repaired but some of the cabins remain out of service. With the ship in Europe for the summer, mobile yard staff could complete the work inside the cabins slowly and quietly while the ship gets back to work. As groups are finished they could be added to the reservation computer one block at a time and we would never notice that 100% capacity had perhaps been delayed.

B

PS: I too would like to thank Frank for his dedicated reporting. It helps us understand the reality of keeping our floating palaces running.

If the ship and returning crew arrive in Copenhagen Monday morning then the cruise will run but it will be a hectic departure day and perhaps not all services will be just perfect for a day or two.

Just as an alternative view, I wouldn't be surprised if the exterior is restored and the hallways repaired but some of the cabins remain out of service. With the ship in Europe for the summer, mobile yard staff could complete the work inside the cabins slowly and quietly while the ship gets back to work. As groups are finished they could be added to the reservation computer one block at a time and we would never notice that 100% capacity had perhaps been delayed.

B

PS: I too would like to thank Frank for his dedicated reporting. It helps us understand the reality of keeping our floating palaces running.

That is an interesting perspective, I never thought about them finishing the work on the cabins while it's in use. I guess there is no reason why they couldn't do this.

It looks like there is still plenty of availability for the 5/15 sailing so I guess they could simply move someone who was supposed to be in one of the cabins that were destroyed.

Has anyone who is sailing been moved????

Much of the crew will arrive back to the Star while she is still in Bremerhaven Friday. Things remain on target to leave Saturday for Copenhagen. I have friends cruising May 25th who have gotten documents. Have read here those cruising May 15th have not been given any news on cancelling :) Let's keep our fingers crossed for them :)

Hello,

today I was in Bremerhaven again to have a look at our Princess. As a big surprise I saw that the plastic covers were removed after my last photo session. There are many workers who are working at the finish of the balconys. Some are ready but on others there is much work to be done. I uploaded many large photos for you and hope you can see all details. For people with slow internet access it's better to skip those photos. The link is as usual http://www.essorg.de/sp

Unfortunately I had no chance to speak with some workers, because there was nobody in sight.

Please enjoy the pics and keep your fingers crossed that the Princess is ready on time.

Frank

sp20060510.jpg.9bb4ea3b3d9458b979dd4e7a5285ad4f.jpg

Thank you for the new pics...I just can't see how this is going to sail on time on Friday or early Saturday morning based on these new pics.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Thanks, Frank.

I particularly like the furniture-moving technique: here and here. :D

It's looking pretty good to have the ship done on time by these pictures. Balcony chairs being placed, would be near the end of my to do list! It's "lookin good!" for the 15th!:D

Frank,

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. It has been fascinating watching the transformation of that beautiful ship. It is amazing what they have done in so short a time. It looks like the baclony dividers are fixed and can't be opened. Also, in one picture it looks like there are sprinklers up above the balcony doors. Any one else see them?

Thank you for the new pics...I just can't see how this is going to sail on time on Friday or early Saturday morning based on these new pics...

I concur with you, Tony. Once again, fabulous pics, Frank. I notice there are a significant number of outside balcony panels to be mounted yet. Maybe they don't take that long to install.

Can anyone spot the drencher system? I'm not too sure what they look like.

Look closely at this picture. There are gray pipes along the top of the balcony over the doors. They look like they have sprinkler nozzles on them right over the door. It could be something else but that looks like the only thing that could be a sprinkler system. http://www.essorg.de/sp/page_08_11.htm

Thanks, Judy. But the pipes over the doors on Aloha Deck look different than the ones on Baja deck below. Do you suppose the sprinkler system is only partially installed, too????

Thanks, Judy. But the pipes over the doors on Aloha Deck look different than the ones on Baja deck below. Do you suppose the sprinkler system is only partially installed, too????

Could be. I wonder what that silverish pipe is on Baja. It doesn't go all the way across like the pipe on Aloha. I also noticed that the balcony partitions are open on Aloha. In other pictures it looks like they are fixed on lower decks. :confused:

We are also leaving on Friday for Copenhagen. We are booked in A416 and have not heard from Princess that the assignment has changed. We're hoping for the best but have a backup plan in case the ship doesn't sail. I know nothing about repairing ships so I won't venture a guess as to when/if the Star will sail.

All we can do is wait and see!

Carol

event.png

There are no emergency messages in the cruise personalizer. In fact it says that now that the cruise is less than 5 days away you can no longer access it. Just some pdf files to look at.

I know Saturday I'll be looking at the bridge cam to see if the Star has sailed from Germany. We'll already be in Copenhagen!

We're hoping for the best!

Carol

It looks like where the middle of the fire is still needs the balcony replaced.

I thought so too but then I realized that what I was looking at was the Caribe deck where the balcony floor sits on top of the Dolphin deck. They just need to install the railings.

I thought so too but then I realized that what I was looking at was the Caribe deck where the balcony floor sits on top of the Dolphin deck. They just need to install the railings.

You're so right, I guess I just wasn't looking at the pictures correctly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Talk about cutting it close, it still looks like there's work to be done. Wonder what the inside looks like.

How can this ship be ready by the 15th?? They have to finish getting it ready and then pass inspection and sail to the embarkation port?? I don't see it happening.... but I'm hoping to eat my words.... For the sake of all those booked on her I hope I'm wrong.... Seems there is still so much to do... But you can definitely see the sprinkler system installed....

Archived