10:40 am Flight from Ft. Lauderdale

serfergurl

Cruising on CB. I can get a great price on a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Toronto, but it's at 10:40 am. Anyone with any experience on early flights?? Can I make it?? Is the cruise ship ever late getting into port? what's the earliest you can disembark?

Thanks for any input!!

That flight is such a good deal is because there is a lower demand for flights at that time of day.

I wouldn't risk it, but then I like to plan things conservatively so that I'm not worried about making my flight.

I have been on many cruises where disembarkation is delayed because they are waiting for a few passengers to report to immigration. You hear the announcements over and over asking them to report to a certain place.

Boy oh boy, Serfergurl, that's awful close.Maybe, if you could convince the cruise line that you needed to get off at first deboarding (or whatever), ya might make it in time. To save yourself from getting a coronary, you should be there at least 1 hour before departure, so that would mean 9:40. Figure the cab ride (fortunately, the airport is really close) at say, 15 to 30 minutes. So yes, if you had only carry-on, it would be do able--if you got off at no later than 9. But, given that you have to rummage around looking for your bag, then fight off crowds to get a cab, I'd say it's pretty dicey. Maybe, if the flight is really cheap, you should consider staying over (provided you can sleep cheap) and flying out the next morning.

On our Caribbean return (Westerdam, March 2005), we were trying only to get a shuttle van to the airport to pick up a car we were borrowing. The Park & Fly vans were few and far between and there were almost fistfights trying to get boarded. The problem is that several ships docked at the same time and there was quite a crowd.

But, that's our opinion. Perhaps some of you Ft Lauderdale pros feel differently:) .

Here are some things to think about when considering this early flight, from an experienced cruiser:

The cruise line usually tells you not to book a flight before 11am, but you might be able to make it.

If you want to make the flight, you must do everything possible to be the first people allowed to leave the ship. That means you will probably need a "RED" disembarkation pass. You can't get these before you board the ship, BUT you can be aggressive after you board the ship to make sure you get one. Be sure to fill out the form about what flight you are taking and when it departs and get it turned in. Indicate in big letters on there that you have to be among the first to disembark in order to try to catch this flight. Talk to the purser's desk and explain to them. If, when passes are given out, you do not have the color that first disembarks (may not always be red, but frequently is)then get with your steward (he has passes) or the purser's desk again and keep at it until you get one. You will.

Then, plan how to get off the ship and to the airport quickly. Will you have a limo waiting or will you need a cab? Have a plan, don't use ship transport as it will not be quick. Also, clearly distinguish your luggage with colorful big markings so you can find it very quickly among the thousands of pieces of luggage, or carry your luggage off the ship with you. The whole luggage deal takes a lot of time at disembarkation. You will have to move quickly and efficiently.

Now, for the bad news. Even with the fastest disembarkation pass and a good plan to get to the airport, there are lots of ways this could fail. The ship could be late into port (usually arrives around 6). Or, customs will sometimes hold a ship for a period of time because of several different possible problems (this happened to me once and no one departed until after 10:30). Also, the airports are a mess when the ships come in. There are several thousand people who arrive at the airport en masse. Its an interesting experience sometimes. If this begins to prevent you from being able to make your flight, be aggressive about letting the airline people know when your flight is, as this will usually get you bumped up in the line.

I think what you are doing is risky, and I usually play more conservative when cruising, but travel is always an adventure. Sometimes I have been to the airport by 0900 and once it took me until 1330 to get to the plane boarding area. Have fun and good luck!

Cruising on CB. I can get a great price on a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Toronto, but it's at 10:40 am. Anyone with any experience on early flights?? Can I make it?? Is the cruise ship ever late getting into port? what's the earliest you can disembark?

Thanks for any input!!

Princess advises no flights earlier than 10:30 am, your flight is after that time frame. We had a 10:50 flight, were late dis-embarking, and still to the airport at 9:15am....plenty of time.

All flights before 11:00 are the first to dis-embark, just give your information to the purser's desk during the first couple of days of your cruise, no worries;)

Janetz is right. Get in the luggage area, hold up that 10 dollar bill and tell the porter what your luggage looks like, that you are in a hurry and that you will need a taxi. The porters can get you through the final check points to leave the cruise terminal faster.

Thanks for any input!!

We have made that early flight many many times, get red tickets from purser, carry off your luggage, grab a cab...........no problem......that is unless the ship is late disembarking for some reason, and that does happen at times, so far we have not missed a flight out of Lauderdale, however we had a 4 pm flight out of LA and missed it because of late arrival back into port........

but if every thing goes normal you will have plenty of time.

I was at the FLL airport last week. The security line was at least an hour and a half long. We have caught 11:00 am flights to Detroit but we have also had delays in disembarkation.

You can always fly Spirit to Detroit and take the RobertQ shuttle from Detroit to Pearson airports for about $75. pp... about 4 hours though.

getting off the ship seems to be no proble. I would think that checking in at the airport and getting through security will be the problem.

On Saturdays and Sundays this airport can be a zoo in the mornings with all those cruisers now waiting to get back home.

Also check flights out of Miami too- you may find a better flight for cheaper.

FYI.... I have done this flight twice without probems. It's nice to be home by 2pm. Just make sure you are in the early group to get off the ship or you will be in trouble. Actually the airport is fairly quiet until around 10am....then it turns into a zoo with 5 or 6 ships in port. By that time your checked in and through security.

We've been late getting into Ft. Lauderdale TWICE in the last year. One time it was at least 5-6 hours late (from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale) and the second, only a few hours. Please don't quote me on the times, but the first one was so late they had to put almost everyone up in hotels. Now THAT was an experience. The second time we had our car there so it was no big deal, but there were plenty of nervous campers to say the least.

We have taken to going in a day early and staying a day late when we make our own plane reservations. Of course, we're retired, so that helps, that it sure takes the pressure off.

It's definitely possible - I'd be a little nervous, though. Last month, we were in the 2nd group to disembark - we were called to file out of the Princess Theatre at 9 AM and at the airport with boarding passes in our hands by 10:15 AM.

Good luck! Enjoy your trip!

We've booked 11:00 a.m several tiems and fortunately no delay but we also do self-disembark so are one of the first ones off ship no matter what time it's in.. if you get your OWN cab and don't have to wait around you should be fine.. we have never (knock on wood) gotten to airport later than 9:00....doing this again in Sept. so hopefully 5 in a row will occur

I got off the CCL Liberty in FLL last sunday. What a zoo!!!! I left the ship at 8:50. Went to the taxi line, about 20 people in line and no taxis.... Went to one of the shuttles instead, only 7.00 pp and was out of the port before a single taxi had shown up. Arrived at Fll at 9:40, stood in like outside Terminal 4 (Spirit) for 2 hours to check in (it was the pits!). Many upset passengers as well as airline personnel. Finally got checked in at 11:45, flight was at 12:30, but in terminal 3. Got there and there was a 1- 1 1/2 hour security line. Luckily they called for Spirit passengers to go to the front of the line. Got to the gate at 12:20. Turned out to be a non-issue since our crew was 2 hours late coming in on another flight and then we had to sit on the runway for a couple hours.......

I've flown out of FLL several times and this is the first time it was so awful. Don't know if this was a one time thing, or the way of the future..... But the employees I talked to said it had been this way for a couple months......

Last month, we were the very last "color"off the ship, as we were staying an extra day. We were off the ship at 9:25, through Customs by 10 and at our hotel by 10:15. What would tend to make me nervous would be getting through security and Customs at the airport. My sense is that you'll make it, but I'd hate to see you spend your whole cruise worrying about it just to save a few $$. It would have to be a significant savings for me to take the risk.

After a terrific relaxing cruise, I would not risk making a 10:40 AM flight out of FLL.

Other than cruising out of Port Everglades frequently, I fly into and out of Fort Lauderdale many times during the year - I grew up there and visit family frequently.

Anyway, lately it has taken at least an hour to get through security at FLL - and that's without being pulled aside. The weekends are a zoo and even when I fly on weekdays, I arrive at the airport several hours prior to departure.

For me, the stress of worrying about missing my flight wouldn't be worth it - I'd book something closer to noon or after. OR, as another posted suggested, stay an extra day!

Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

We had 10:15 flights out of FLL in January. We had NO problem getting to the airport in plenty of time. We were off the ship by 8:15 and made it to the airport by 8:45 (15 of us with 22 pieces of luggage).

Archived