i'm CREW OF HAL... any ??? go to me!

buggsie10

ive just returned from a 12mo contract from OOST and ZUID... in CLUB HAL and Cruise Staff and Cast Member... reading these posts its funny how people A LOT of the time get the wrong impression... so i decided with my time off i'll help out peeps questions. shoot on here or email:

jtalpha22@hotmail.com.

just one thing, i give an honest answer. sometimes truth hurts. see cruise lines from the other point of view ;)

us as CLUB HAL and CRUISE STAFF are NOT included in the $10.00/day. Passengers think that paying the $10/day covers ALL of the ship's crew (which is what they say during the debarkation talk) however, i have never heard from any members of the barstaff and housekeeping department, engineer staff, deck officers, entertainment or such getting any of those automatic tips. they could go to people indirectly (such as our ships payroll and onboard accounts could be automatically deposited from that tip pool [def not ours tho]) but they dont literally get handed the money. i think its more personable to give it to people directly than have it put into a giant shipwide pool. it is NOT however a thing that Carnival made us do. my biggest pet pieve is when passengers would come to us and say "carnival has made holland america go downhill". Carnival has NO jurisdiction as how we operate. Carnival Cruise Line doesnt even own us. Carnival Corporation owns HAL as well as Carnival and all those other cruise lines. But each has their own president, staff of directors and such... they make their own rules and their own policies (however our environmental laws are obligated by carnival corp.) hope that answers ur question ;)

It seems that many pax do not realize that the automatic gratuities posted on their accounts are helping the cruiseline make their payroll. The cruiselines began to pay less, and to supplement the difference, auto tipping was created.

That's one reason crew so appreciate the given in-person gratuities from passengers. Not only is it much more personal and gracious, but they get the cash directly (no middle man).

Since the name "Carnival" has negative connotations within the cruise industry, it's hard for many pax to separate the corporation from the cruise line. Nevertheless, Carnival Corporation is very keen on maintaining the "brand" of each line that they own.

Actually, I am now confused -- I thought I understood how the tipping was supposed to work

I will outline here what I thought I understood and appreciate it if you would agree or disagree with my statements, making any corrections necessary.

If I leave the autotip in place then dining stewards, housekeeping stewards, and the rest of the service staff each get a share of the auto tip in addition to their meager pay.

I never expected that the entertainers, cruise staff or club HAL staff, or officers were part of the auto tip pool. They would be tipped separately if I received special service from them.

If I do not leave the auto tip in place then any of the staff who are part of the auto tip pool have to turn in any tip money that I give them to the pool.

If I do leave the auto tip in place then my dining stewards or room stewards are allowed to keep any extra that I give to them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi I do have a question that I know you as Club HAL staff might be able to answer. I am taking a family cruise this Christmas on the Amsterdam with my 2 sons, ages 18 and 13. I understand that the ages for the teen program is 13-17, does that mean that our 18 yo can't use the Oasis deck also?? In this case he is kinda bummed that he is 18 as he really enjoyed the activities on our last cruise. Thanks in advance!:cool:

arzz: entertainment staff (such as CLUB HAL) arent included in this auto tip pool, however the CD (cruise director) makes it SEEM like they are while doing his/her debarkation talk. they make it sound that EVERYONE on the ship that works on her gets in on this pool. you can do whatever u want that makes u feel comfordable, im just saying when u tip your roomsteward, waiters, etc by CASH its more personable and your 100% POSITIVE it gets to them. (i hate the whole ordeal anyway... its a BIG thing people complain about on their comment cards)

localady: its true, teen program is 13-17, however it depends on the teen counselor for that week, just say ur teen is 17. its christmas time so the week will be a bit higher numbered for youth, but just say they're 17. when they register for club hal (teens have to do it now too) on their form ADD another year to their birth. their YPD (youth program director) will make a manifest of all youth registered and will overlook his/her age (the manifest gives ages too, which is GREAT if u have a parent trying to get their 2 year old into club HAL!) hope this helps!

Ive been on:

Volendam March 04-September 04 CLUB HAL

Zaandam October 04-April 05 CAST MEMBER

Oosterdam May 05-Oct 05 then straight onto

Zuiderdam October 05-April 06 (got home 2 days ago!!!)

next ship might be Noordam in a month. Stiletto would like me to do another dance contract.

OK, I think all the questions have been answered asked about the tipping. My question is a little, well probably a lot, strange. I've been reading a lot about plumbing problems on the Zuiderdam and some of the other HAL ships but I am most worried about the "Z" because I will be sailing on her in June. Are these problems as widespread as they sound or isolated incidents? 4 people in a room and a non-working toilet would not be my idea of a vacation.

mildavisd: the plumming problems are widespread through all cruise ships in all companies. no matter what ship you choose, there could be an incident where plumming in your room breaks or some gross thing, HOWEVER every week the ship blocks out certain rooms for troubled cabins such in this instance, where they can move you to. it sucks, it happens, but that's the best remedy available.

spcl4cs_gal: are you talking about Jodi Praught? if so, she's adorable and great. no worries there. i worked with her only for a week sometime in feb. (glasses, right?) yeap.

Hey Bugsie, how are things? What did you think about having to stay in Inglewood for Stiletto? Not the best area in the South Bay area of L.A. County to stay in! My wife and I always appreciate the energy, enthusiasm and effort you guys put in to the production shows!

Buggsie, any word on HAL's new ship due in Summer 2008? It was mentioned in a Carnival Corp press release, but I haven't seen much said elsewhere. It's supposed to be built in Italy--2000 pax, 86,000 grt, Panamax. Our favorite kinda ship. So....?

Oh, my question: will it really debut in Summer 2008?

Thanks.

Kinda curious here. I see in previous postings the OP claims to have taken cruises - some just in the last few months - on Princess (Oct/05) and Carnival (March/06). In fact, Carnival appears to be mentioned twice for cruising. So.................were this cruises between jobs on HAL ships? The dates don't seem to line up from my perspective.

I hate being cynical so I hope I am proven wrong in thinking what I am thinking!

spcl4cs_gal: are you talking about Jodi Praught? if so, she's adorable and great. no worries there. i worked with her only for a week sometime in feb. (glasses, right?) yeap.

That would be the Jodi I know. :) Shall I tell her hello from anyone?

Buggsie, thanks for taking the time to answer some questions for us, I am sure you will be of some great help to posters here.

We were on the Volendam in February with my family. The kids LOVED Club HAL, the counsellors were awesome, as a matter of fact, the kids are always talking about what a wonderful time they had in Club HAL. The older kids had Liz as a counsellor, she was incredible. You could tell she loved her job and was so interested in the kids having a wonderful time. The older kids had a wonderful time and e-mail Liz and some of the other kids in the group. Liz is an asset to HAL, as well as all the other crew members onboard the Volendam. I was just wondering if you knew of Liz? I believe she's back on the Volendam for the Alaska cruise.

Kinda curious here. I see in previous postings the OP claims to have taken cruises - some just in the last few months - on Princess (Oct/05) and Carnival (March/06). In fact, Carnival appears to be mentioned twice for cruising. So.................were this cruises between jobs on HAL ships? The dates don't seem to line up from my perspective.

I hate being cynical so I hope I am proven wrong in thinking what I am thinking!

read through the threads, evidently buggsie is the father...his son must come on his name and post...it's suppose to be the son who is actually on the ships...just thought I would post that after reading all the threads...seems the son's name is Jordan

LOL bramcruiser, I noticed the same....just wanted to sit back and read and watch how deep the fox hole was dug before someone caught on to them. Giggles.....this is quite amusing of buggsie

Guess he/she didn't realize you can check all thier post....:D

It DOES seem strange...when you go back to read the previous posts by the OP. Maybe someone is sharing a screen name? :confused:

its fun to see how NANY DREW people can be ;)

my name is jordan and i dont have my own name b/c i already had one YEARS ago and forgot the password/login name. i tried to get it back but i was just too lazy to try so im using my parents.

spcl4cs_gal: tell Jodi jordan says hi and that reannon sends a hug! haha (only she will get that!)

joeinsb: the new ship(s) slated to be here in summer of 2008. if they say thats when they're coming out, then around that time they will be here. they're named SIGNATURE class ships, a lil bit bigger than vistas. they'll have all the amenities that upgrades SOE ships will have, but just a lil bigger. nothing REALLY new (they wont have Oasis' which upsets me b/c i think ALL the HAL ships should have Oasis' [for those of you who dont know what those are, they're the 'teen only' sun deck which adults LOVE to get into!]) no vistas have oasis' nor plan on getting them (no place to put them) rumor had it through the entertainment staff on all ships (and internet site) that NOORDAM got one. nope :-( she's a beautiful ship tho.

its fun to see how NANY DREW people can be ;)

my name is jordan and i dont have my own name b/c i already had one YEARS ago and forgot the password/login name. i tried to get it back but i was just too lazy to try so im using my parents.quote

Jordon, using another person's screen name (even if it is your parents) is not the smartest thing to do on Cruise Critic, as it does not make you believable:( .... Many members of CC are experienced cruisers & also are computer savy..We often check someone out before accepting their word that they are experienced travelers, travel agents &/or crew...

Your parents discussed cruising on Carnival last fall & now you came on stating you just finished a 12 month stint on HAL...That signaled the Red Flags..

Perhaps you ought to get your own screen name again...

bugsie10's-son ;) might be a good one... JMHO..

Happy cruising all..Only 8 days till Boarding...:D Betty

Archived