Atkins forum

mecb50

Mecb50, what about caffeine also. I seem to recall that it was disouraged or not allowed.. I don't see anyone saying that they are drinking the caffeine free coke or pepsis. I prefer the taste with caffeiene (I know it's supposed to be tasteless but trust me, I can tell blindfolded). And then again, tea has twice as much caffeine as coke. So, I can start drinking my splenda tea again? (THis 96 or so oz of water a day is getting old for a coke-a holic. Alan. Oh yeah, I've lost 8.5 lbs. in 6 days unless some of it pops back on the scale today-being ultra low in my carbs.

Mecb50, what about caffeine also. I seem to recall that it was disouraged or not allowed.. .

You are 100% right.

No caffeine for two weeks at all. Boy was that a killer. Also after that time watch your caffeine, it will slow down or stop lose in some people.

Melody

I wonder if that's what's stalled me. I've always said that I have caffeine running in my veins instead of blood. :p Even so, I've managed to cut it back to 3 cups a day. If I stop completely, I'll have a wicked headache. :( Addicted I know.

Beth

Hi all! I am an Atkins believer who has unfortunately slipped back to my old ways. Could use some support from others following a low-carb lifestyle to get back on the ball. Since I love cruising and I believe in Atkins, I couldn't think of a better place to "hang-out".

See you around the boards!

synewton

Dr Atkins really discourages caffeine. He says that it can stimulate an insulin response in some people. Others claim they have had their coffee all the time and have not had a problem losing. I think you have to judge for yourself how you are doing. I try to stick to green tea during the week ( regular) and I make a pot of decaf coffee on the weekends so that I can have leftovers as iced coffee. I will have regular coffee when I am eating out. I am not a fanatic about decaf. Also , I was never one to have any caffene after dinner so I was never "addicted" to begin with. My DH however drinks real coffee night and day!

Linda, I have been good all day and there is no peanut butter, so I should be fine ( it is already past 4:30):D The pork was fantastic. Now to curl up with my new book and relax. Hope everyone else is doing fine. and welcome back synewton. We all are "beginning again" one way or another:rolleyes: Mary

Sreeder, congrats on the 10 lbs way to go. I've lost 6 of my 12 lbs I gained from vacation and quiting smoking. I nned to lose another 8 to get back to my first goal. I hope I can do it before I leave on vacation on 8/7. I know I'm having Dairy Queen that trip and that's my downfall.

Mary congrats on throwing out the peanut butter. How are you doing?

Where's Carolyn?

Hmmmm......... I've been really good sticking to induction since last week-end. And so far I'm only down .2 lbs from last Thursday. :confused: It has to be the coffee because there isn't anything else it could be. So this morning I had one cup with breakfast. And I just poured a nice cold drink of water from my thermos that usually holds coffee. It's going to be a loooong day. :p

Beth

Well, guess I'll try to make it caffeine free diet coke when I start back. Would love for it to be splenda atea but better not. Stalling out does get discouraging and right now I'm gonna do my darndest to not stray at all-10# in 7 days! Everybody hang in there so you can look good cruising. God knows how much we will put back on the ship :eek:

I know there is caffene in green tea..not nearly as much as in coffee. Green tea is supposed to be very good for you and also a help in losing weight. I cannot find flavored green tea that is decaffinated. I like the orange flavored in the morning.. I have no carbs, except for the eggs in the morning, so if I am having an insulin spike, I don't feel it since I do not get hungry before lunch. As I said, I am not neurotic about caffene, I was just stating the fact that Atkins discourages caffene.

Linda, I was good for the WHOLE DAY yesterday:D and am on my way on day 2. Got my stuff in the car to go to curves on the way home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I stay on track.

Carolyn , we are thinking about you...

Everyone , stay on track. Beth and eyern, try doing with less caffene. If it works, you know it was the caffene that stalled you. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Just MHO. Mary

nosnobunny and mecb50 - thanks for the welcome.

SReeder, lscole, eyern - congratulations!! That's great.

Its interesting to hear all of you talk about the fact that caffeine can slow down the weight loss. I'd never realized that. I did notice when I previously did Atkins, that drinking alot of diet sodas slowed down my weight loss. I was thinking the artificial sweetners were causing that but maybe the caffeine was a contributing factor also.

I once read that if something was to become a habit, that you had to do it continuously for twenty one days. So I've been trying to watch myself all day to see what "bad" habits need to be replaced by "good" habits. And I don't mean just eating habits but looking at how little I exercise, how little water I drink, etc. Its been mind-boggling but I really want to make permanent changes this time. I want low-carb eating to be a life-style for me not just something that I do for induction and then go back to my old ways.

I think the biggest change I'm going to have to make is cook more and cut down on the amount of cafeteria / fast food stuff I eat. Even though I can get "low carb" stuff in those places, they are never as tasty or interesting as what I can cook at home and I think it contributes to my getting bored and ultimately opting for the carb-rich item.

Well, thanks for listing to my ramblings. I've been enjoying your posts.

Hi all. My name is Cali and I am new to this particular board. I began a quest to lose 60 pounds on June 5 2004. Until last Sunday (7/18/04) I was really watching my calories and fat intake. I had only lost 12 pounds. Being unhappy with the lack of progress and using a web site down load to track what I ate and look at the contents ( fats, carbs, and proteins) I realized that no matter how cautious I was about what I ate the carb count was HIGH HIGH HIGH. Where as the proteins and fats were about even with the proteins being just a little higher than fats, so I decided to try the Atkins approach. Since beginning the induction phase on Sunday I have lost 2 pounds. That is 2 pounds in 4 days. I am not starving. Oh to eat a steak without guilt. I have purchased the book and am reading it and also using the web site for recipes.

I have a ways to go to reach my goal (56 pounds) but maybe, just maybe if I stick with this plan I can succeed and still be HEALTHY. That is my ULTIMATE goal, to be healthy. We just lost our mother last year who suffered with heart disease and I made her a promise before she died that I would lose the weight and keep it off. I began my quest at 204 and I am down to 190.

My sister is coming for a visit on Saturday and my short term goal is to lose a total of 15 pounds before she gets here. Can I do it? I guess we shall see.

Everyone take care and keep up the good work.

Cali that's only 1 more lb. Of course you can do it. :) Keep that page open that lists the foods you can eat on induction and you shouldn't have a problem. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. My biggest problem is quieting those who think this is either a fad diet or bad for my health. Like being overweight isn't bad for it. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Beth

You're right most people speak badly about Atkins but have never actually read about it. The South Beach diet seems to really be picking up steam. Has anyone here read about it? For whatever reason, Atkins was something everyone at my job was embarassed to admit they were following but everyone proudly announces they are trying the South Beach diet.

I've done Atkins modified - just low carb and I lost, but I lost my boobs so I got off it. I've never been overweight, but I've been too heavy for my size and we all know that it doesn't matter if other people tell you you look great, you have to FEEL great. I'm ridiculously self-concious about my weight, so I'm always trying to watch it. Anyhow, the BEST way I have found to lose weight and keep it off, and shed extra pounds pretty quickly is Weight Watchers. My mom introduced me to it in March of 2003 and I've been at my goal weight or below for over a year now. I had gained a bit back and that's when I tried low carb modified and like I said, I lost my boobies so I got off it (a girl's gotta have something, right, LOL) Anyhow, I never feel like I'm on a diet - I just ate a bag of Baked Lays and a 6 inch turkey subway with lettuce, mustard, and pickles and for ALL THAT it was only 8 points. On the plan I do (which is the old) you eat between 18 - 23 points (it depends on your weight though, if you weigh more your points are higher and decrease as you lose), so I still have at least 10 more points for the day! It's awesome :)

Just thought I'd be your quick infommercial ;)

I agree synewton, people tak about Atkins all the time and say he died of his own diet when that isn't true. It drives me crazy when people talk and talk but never research and having backing to their accusations. For some people cutting carbs is a good thing :)

You can DEFINITELY lose that one more pound - in fact, I'll bet you lose that and another 3 or 4 by the time your sister comes. Shake what your mama gave you girl!

I guess I'm a true addict because I'm one of those people who can't stop with the allowed amount on most diets. Tried WW and although it worked I found my portions getting larger and larger and larger. Hence the Atkins plan. I'm better off having none than a bit because I know myself well enough to know I won't stop at "a bit". :)

Beth

Well, I've hit a stall. If I don't lose tomorrow it will be 3 days. If so, I'll add a few carbs in, I've been way under the limit and no use depriving myself totally if I'm stalled. It willl pick back up one day.

I have to confess, I just haven't been on program. Don't know what's wrong with me:mad: I actually had fried onions last night when we went out to supper. Really stupid. I noticed that I feel awful today. My arthritis is really bad. I am going to go to Curves this morning and maybe that will turn me around. I know what I'm supposed to do...know I feel better and have no problem doing it...but I deliberately go and sabotage myself. Every morning, today is another one:rolleyes: I start the day with every good intention. I just want to complete the day in the same condition.

Here to a totally good day for me. Hope everyone else has a good day and weekend. Eyern...please don't weigh yourself everyday. That can get very depressing. Try for once a week. Mary

For the ladies out there - do not underestimate the role that your hormonal cycle has on plateaus and stalls. The first time I tried Atkins I noticed that I always lost the weight the first two weeks of my cycle (the two weeks right after my period) and stayed steady or gained a little the last two weeks of my cycle.

I have since had a hysterectomy (at which time they removed my ovaries) and no longer have a hormonal cycle. It's the ovaries that effect that. The difference I've noticed is that if I'm faithful .... the weight comes off slow and steady.

Obviously no one would have surgery just to make weight loss less frustrating but I bring it up so that a lot of you will stop feeling discouraged over something that is beyond your control. If you are stalled and also in the second half of your cycle - don't feel discouraged! Don't give up! The weight loss will resume in week or so.

Mary, thanks. Yes, I know that's the rule, but the obsessive compulsive in me can't help it. ON the other hand, it helps me be strict when I diet. Now if I can just make it through my wife's family reunion with dinner at the old homestead this Sunday (they are all great cooks) with me being stalled out. I went ahead and got me a glass of splenda tea this morning and will keep drinking now until I see a problem I guess. Alan.

Anybody know the effects of a one meal (large) diet bust? How long does it take to get back into ketosis? Do you stop losing (I presently have anyway) or do you gain 1-2 lbs. back, or do you gain a lot back? I might just eat some of everything at our reunion this weekend if I am still stalled, but will probably have the willpower not to if I start losing again.

Archived