Atkins forum

mecb50

Yes I agree eyern that it's probably water retention. I'm sure it will come off in a day or so. If not, take a good look at the labels of what you ate.

So the cashews got ya huh Robin? Don't feel bad because I did the same thing the week before. I went out and bought a fairly expensive mix only to find out that I couldn't eat the cashews. DH got them instead. At least he was happy. :rolleyes: When I was re-reading my Atkins book last night, he said that there was one absolute with this plan - no heartburn. So, it would seem that you had something that doesn't fit in. I'll bet it was the nuts.

I'm into level 2 this week, so it's time to keep reading the book to see where I go now. Maybe a few more veggies. I really miss those.

Have any of you had trouble getting into ketosis? Even when I was faithfully following the plan, I didn't get past the "trace" level. Most of the time the sticks indicated "neutral". :confused:

Beth

Beth, As I have stated before, I really have never been in ketosis. Maybe a little at the very beginning. I do not use the sticks at all. Others do and rely upon them. I have lost 81 pounds so far on Atkins , so I don't think turning the sticks purple is the only way to lose. If you are losing and feel better, That's all that matters.

Day 3 down!! still on track. Am looking at another cruise out of Boston on the Jewel in Sept 05. I know that will be two cruises in one year, but this cruise looks great.

Alan, glad you survived your party and it is just water, just wait and see.

Everyone, keep up the good work. Tonight it's swordfish on the grill. hang in there everyone. Mary

Thanks Deb. I knew that but some reasurance from those little sticks would make me feel great. Any port in a storm. :p Even with a little bit of cheating, I'm still managing to lose. Not quickly but steadily. That's good enough for me. I can't remember tha last time I had bread. :confused:

You should book that cruise. There is no better motivation. We have two for next year, very unusual for us. After that will come the dry spell. :(

Beth

Go figure, ate like a little piggie Sat got on the scale yesterday and I hadn't gained weight. Was good yesterday but didn't drink any water just diet rite cola, got on the scale this am and gained 3.5 lb. AAAAAAHHHHHHH, Been good so far today and drinking my water, got to lose rest of last vacation weight before I go away again for a week on 8/7 and I know I'll have DQ several times. thanks goodness there are no DQ's in my area.

Water does make a difference. I notice that I gain if I don't drink enough. AND......I booked the cruise out of Boston. This will be our first on RCI I am so excited! We will have to get friends to join us. Mary PS still on Track:D

Hey everyone...

Seems like the last time I posted (July 17th) things were OK... Dad had been coughing, but the MD was giving him Robitusin and was concerned about his sodium/iron levels... well, on Monday they ordered a chest x-ray... I was hoping they were just going to admit him (he was still in rehab)... well all hell broke loose.. Seems like I"m never given a chance to relax or anything (like when I went to NYC to check in on my elder (90 yo) aunt on that Sunday) Sister tracked me down on LIRR to say that Dad was coughing so I cut my visit short and got back by 7PM to check on Dad... well stopped in on him that MOnday AM and at 11AM they took an x-ray. That day I ran around trying to get ALL his med records... didn't accomplish that much. Linda, I was up in your neck of woods (North Shore) and asked the cardiac PA about Dad's condition as of March.. said that his heart was somewhat weak but that's what CHF is... so his present MD was kind of making it seem like it's a VERY poor heart and age (he's only been Dad's MD since mid-May so there's very little relationship and practically NO history). Well on Tuesday AM I'm off to check on Dad w/friend of family... well he was taken in abulence to South Nassau Hopsital (hope he'd get frequent guest miles) and nobody called our house to notify us.. I was balistic. Then get to ER and the MD there was asking if Dad had a living will (DNR) well, I knew that Mom had wishes but I wasn't sure about Dad... I'm health care procksie (OK I can't spell, please forgive) and the MD was encouraging for DNR.. I wasn't aware at in NY (or at this hospital) that they couldn't put Dad on vent temporarily and was leary about the chest tube since DNR AND they WOULDN"T put him in ICU because of this... I left him in ER to run to back to take care of some unfinished business that I left open on Monday. Well after that I stopped back at hospital briefly (just got aide back in time to Mom) leaving Dad w/dear friend of family... told me I MUST take care of business... had an emergency call into lawyer (who I just met w/on Wednesday) to get a rush change to Dad's will and to change the deed to house ASAP... Had to wait for lawyer to return call got it when I got to back... well, he asked what his condition was.. if it was terminal and I said YES... so he told me what I needed to fax.. got it off to his office and then went back to back.. killing alot of time. Well I rushed back to bank before 3PM time I was told so papers would get out in time.. sat there till 4:15 waiting for broker to return to Fedex package.. well she NEVER returned and sent out package next day. I rushed back to Dad's bedside (finally got him a bed) and when I talked to Beth she told me they wanted to put him in ICU (pneumonia) but since he was DNR they put him in reg. cardiac room w/O2. Also she told me that a nurses in ER told her it was only a few hours for Dad (didn't realize he was THAT crit). Well it was 5PM.. I got lawyers office on phone ASAP and luckily I got paralegal.. who rushed (at 7:30PM) over w/new will (to get things in order so Mom could be medicaid eligible and save house) AND brought deed info even though I didn't have full info... At 6:30 Dad wasn't even responding and I was pleading w/MD to do something about it.. about pulling DNR and he refused saying that he couldn't just pull it.. Well at about 7:15 Dad had a bit of lucidity and we got him to sign (with almost total help from me) papers and then I got 2 witnesses (his roommate and I dragged someone from hallway since nurses said it was against hospital policy). That sort of put my mind at ease but I wasn't aware that they couldn't do much. It took a LONG time (5PM Wednesday) for him to be seen by cardiologist who was making rounds. He said then that they should do a tap.. he was on Cipro and IV. Well, Thursday I was running around again to get Dad's belongings from home and get will and other info from lawyer... closed/opened new safety deposit box (just in case) and left Dad w/sister ... DH (MIke who's a biomed engineer for Respironics) had been nagging me about pulling Dad and getting him temp on Vent. Well I was out when MD visited Dad.. Mike had suggested something that "might" make Dad more comfortable BUT he told Diane and then me... well Diane misinterpretted the info and gave it to MD.. well he followed through w/it.. and Dad started to weaze (he wasn't doing that before). Also we noticed that he was developing a rash and they gave him benedrill.Well finally at 6:30 he was eating a bit and pulmonologist went to see he... said she was going to tap him but she needed to check his pressure.. well it started to plummet it was touch and go.. pulmonologist said she couldn't tap him in that condition and that his "only" chance was to get on a vent ... we HAD to pull DNR.. then they ran around to get dopamine... what a nightmare... finally they got him into CCU and that was worse night of life.. was calling every 2 hours. They got chest tube in him Friday AM and he's pumped up on tons of IV stuff (think of dear Doctor Atkins they same thing since they both had CHF). Well things are touch and go.. right now he's fighting the vent at times though he's on 40% and hopefully they wean him off in a day or two. He's still terribly swollen and on meds to keep his pressure somewhat low (otherwise would be crit). I'm realizing that his wishes were to NOT to be in nursing home BUT not to do DNR if it was to give him a chance (respirator temporarily)... if I didn't put it in originally he might have been spared alot of these problems... I just don't know but things weren't totally explained when he was admitted... (but I'm sure the MD would say .. you knew no tubes, no vent (I didn't realize it could be temporary)... and I didn't know that they'd make him wait for 3 days to get tapped. So here I type away. Sorry to the newbies about this diatribe. Mom's holding up as best she can.. the live-in aide seems to be "ok".. (could be better but under the circumstances we just want to keep Mom stable mentally). There may be some problems down the road but we'll just take them as they come.

Now to the subject... to get "on track"

through all of this (away from home for 2 full weeks)I haven't had a single change to get to gym.. BUT I've stayed on program.. sometimes the shakes have been the primary sustinance to help me through. I'd LOVE to get to gym but under the circumstances I'm doing the best I can w/very little assistance. My sister flew in late Tuesday night and flew back Friday afternoon.... Dad was still guarded and who knows when she'll be back. I'm popping the Cortislim.. trying to drink lots of water... (am running constantly to bathrooms) and popping the Atkins assortments too (like AM/PM , #3 ,sometimes DA) and I "think" the scale has budged a little bit... Wish I had better news... the next couple of days are crucial... I'm not even thinking about going away at all w/kids before school starts, I'm sick of this rollercoaster that I'll probably won't be getting off for a LONG time.. Wondering if I can even still wish to go on cruise over Xmas... final payment needs to be made mid-September... so we'll see.

Hope everyone's enjoying their Summer.. I wish it was over already so maybe things will settle down.

Hope to post something positive tomorrow (at library using net)

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Wow, I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. :( It was hard enough with one ill parent and 4 children close by to share the load. I can't imagine being the primary responsible party. We'll certainly be thinking about you and sending you prayers and good karma.

Tami

Carolyn, So glad you checked in...but the news is sure awful. I hope things calm down for you. I hope you are right about the scale. It should be going down with all that running around. Our prayers are with you. I didn't know that you couldn't use a vent temporily on a DNR. If it is temporarily I can see no problem. I guess they think that there is always a chance they can't "wean" the person off the vent . At that point they CANNOT shut off the vent since the person is not "brain dead", but that person would have to live out the rest of the time on a machine, which is usually why people want a DNR. I know of one case years ago of a girl who was 22 and dying of cystic fibrosis. She was in the unit and having such a hard time breathing. The doctors wanted to put her on a vent, so that she would be comfortable. She said no, since it would prolong her life, and she would never be off the vent. So she passed away struggling to breathe.

It sounds like your Dad is coming off, so you made the right decision. It's a real nighmare being health proxy.:(

Everyone else have a great day ( I'm still on track :D for some good news!) Mary

Carolyn, I knew something had to happen that we hadn't heard from you in ages. It's true when pt is a DNR thay keep him comfortable. It was a tough decision on your part to pull the DNR. I was the reverse last fall with my mother, she coded in the hosp the nurse was there when it happened, they brought her back put her on a vent. I knew my mother's wishes were no vent so we made her a DNR waited 24 hours with no change and pulled the vent. MD's thought she would go in 15 min to an hour. 51 hours later she died I was with her. It is so difficult trying to decide what is best for your parents. The main thing is for them to be comfortable and not in pain. I'm sure the scale had budged downward unless your eaten vending machine junk you should be ok. Please keep in touch. Our prayers are with you. How is Mom with everything that is going on. Are you happy with the care at SNCH?

Well, for those "in the know" Dad's doing as best to be expected...

he's on 40% O2... hopefully they'll try to wean him to 20% tomorrow. His doctor today (they rotate in the group) is the one who admitted him so I expected them to do not much of anything today... he's started to "de-puff" (they put him back on lasix) and they've cut the dopamine from when they started him on vent Thursday night so it's a good sign. Also he's resting comfortably tonight... a good sign since he was "very" agitated yesterday and kind of fighting... I was a bit concerned. Luckily he's in the CCU so he's in the best of hands... I just hope they'll keep him there for a while while they wean, extabate AND get rid of the chest tube (he's drained about 3000 ml so far so he should be resting better). The nurses are wonderful, just wish I felt more comfortable about his doctors but at least I know that the nurses are with him 24/7... Linda SNCH is OK... Mike wasn't too thrilled about him being there.. isn't too happy w/his doctors but he DID check out the RTs and got good feedback.. so it's a wait and see thing.

As for Mom, she's vegging out.. been on xanax and ambien which isn't helping her with sleeping... and she's starting to swell up since she's lying around in bed. The aide is a bit too much for us but as I told Mom we're better off w/devil we know vs. a newbie if they'd send another out... and since we're not paying a fortune (though this one is eating VERY well ... made a Costco run and she HAD to get the muffin try AND sweet bread trio... and other nuts and stuff... and giving Mom larger portions that she should have... I try not to be around during feeding time since it's "not my home" anymore and I need to chill.. that's why I'm posting now at library).

Wishing everyone losses this week.

Hope to post some more good news in the next couple of days and hopefully get to post from my home in CT over the weekend.

Carolyn

Well, one week into my "new way of life". I lost 2 pounds but more importantly have been looking at my habits and making little changes that I hope will allow me to make low-carb a permanent way of life. Have rediscovered my treadmill and am chugging a lot more water. Have also started cooking more at home and bringing breakfast and a snack to work. At least that cuts out some of the temptations. Have not missed the "starch" at dinner and I've not really been one for desserts after dinner but.... I really get a taste for something sweet after lunch. I brought an apple today. I'm hoping that will suffice. I just couldn't get psyched to do induction again. Hopefully these little changes will be enough to get me back on track.

I never actually figured out my critical carbohydrate level for losing (CCLL). Has anyone actually done that? I don't know if that would encourage me or discourage me to figure that out. :-)

Continued good luck to all of you - particularly Carolyn. Hard to stay on track like you have been when there is so much stress in your life. By the way, you sound like a "medicine" person? Are you in the field or learning alot because of your current situation?

Good for you synewton. I also never calculated my CCLL but have pretty much guessed that 20 gm/day is my limit. Also gave up on the Ketostix because even though I'm losing, I could never get past the trace level. After two weeks on induction, my system wasn't wild about having veggies again. I'm sure it will pass. (I just realized how bad that sounds :p )

My loss is slow and steady and I think I'm starting to look like I've lost. Maybe it's my imagination, who knows? :D

Beth

Congrats, Synewton and Beth. You are both doing so well. I don't know if you like berries, Synewton, but the blueberries I've had this year are wonderful. A little whipped heavy cream with splenda over the berries and I think I'm cheating away. For a fancy dessert I mixed blueberries, rasberries and fantastic blackberries. Less carbs than an apple.

Still on track. Don't know if Ive lost anything, I'm going to weigh in Friday Morning at Curves. I feel better tho. Hope everyone is doing well.

How are you doing Linda? Good luck Carolyn our thoughts are with you..keep in touch. Mary

PS Carolyn I'm booked on the Jewel out of Boston on Oct 22, 2005. Maybe we can plan a low carb cruise?? Linda and all of us together. Wouldn't that be something to look forward to.:D Think about it guys.

Carolyn, things seem to be going along. What happens will happen it's in God's hands now.

Mary you're starting your cruise on my birthday. It would be fun to do a cruise with us low carbers, but I'll tell you right now I cheat on vacations. I still watch no bread unless I'm in Portofino's, but I have dessert. A group of people who posted on the fashion thread did a group cruise. I hooked up with them on their thread about 1 1/2 months before the cruise. I had stumbled onto cruise critic by accident. I meet a few of the women on board, they were very nice. I cruise with two girlfriends and RCCL sat us with 3 other girls (women) we hit if off and had a great time at dinner. We did have a loud and occacssionally obnoxious table, but everyone wanted to join us and the wait staff didn't want us to leave. Point of this was when we got home my friends and I got trashed on the fashion thread. It got really nasty and threads had to be pulled. I guess my point is that it happens that people plan cruises when they meet on threads. I've kept in contact with one person I met and she is very nice.

Still not smoking but chewing gum. Got to run going to the movies.

Linda, I try to "choose wisely" on vacation. I wouldn't let anyone stop us from cruising if we wanted to. I really don't understand the "nasty" thing at all. Of course, I have never read the fashion thread. I am so far away from fashon savy it's pitafull. Anyway, You want to come, come. We will celebrate your birthday and have a great time!. Mary

Gee I was over on the fashion boards then. I even considered joining the ET cruise. My memory's not what it use to be (neither is anything else :p ), but I don't remember the nastiness. Must have missed it.

Beth

I'm back...took a few days off to go to Disney with my sister. We had a good time, but she really stresses me out. We had our kids, her 3yo and my two. Our mother was supposed to go, but she has been battling a serious sinus infection for the better part of a month, and had to miss. I had been really stressing over her visit, I am the fat sister, and she never misses a chance to say something about it. I have lost 30lb since I saw her last, and she did not even notice, just kept bragging about the 15 she lost. It's kind of depressing, I had been so good especially the last month before her visit. My co-workers were really supportive, and said I looked lots better than her. :) I love them! I did splurge once in a while over the long weekend, but did not gain anything, so I consider that a bonus. I did not drink nearly as much as should have, so I suppose it could have been worse. I decided to go back on induction just to give me a boost, plus to get thru that darned PMS time!

Carolyn--my heart goes out to you. I saw what my mom had to go thru with her parents being the only child, and know it is tough on you. You are doing great to keep on the diet...I'd be stress-eating my way through a supermarket!

Nanci

Beth, they are saying great things about you over on the RCI boards, the topic was about how many points people had and the "O" group, (what is is the O grp?)That when you post you know what your talking about. I remember the post was about Respect. Regarding the nastiness the thread was pulled in about 2 days cause it was getting very nasty, so you may not remember it. But believe me I do. I have a print out of it and now it's funny to read. When I see the poster who started the thread about my friends and I, I usually will not post anything. I didn't look at CC for a very long time after that.

Mary it would be fun to cruise with you, but that date probably wouldn't work for me. But maybe something in the future would. I would love to meet the people who have given so much support.

Nanci,

Ugh! I have one of "those" sisters too, step-sister actually. She's never, ever happy unless she's making someone else's life hell. Even her own dad thinks she's the biggest downer in the world and doesn't like her to stay too long when she comes around. Sad, but she always has to try to one up anyone she's around. If I didn't like my step-dad so much I'd have probably throttled her years ago because she was a snot when she was a kid too. :D

At least you survived the trip with no weight gain. That in itself is a good deal.

Tami

The definition of the O Crew varies, depending on who you're talking to. I think we're Laura's worst nightmare. :D We only try to keep the posters honest and don't go out of our way to provoke. But if someone else starts it, we'll finish it. :p Now I've got to go and see who's saying all those nice things about me. It's usually the other way around. LOL! And no - I didn't pay them.

Beth

I think they refer to these people as "bad karma" people. They suck all the positive energy out of you. Friends who are this type you can stay away from..but relatives. that's another story. My advice...try to ignore her totally. I know is doesn't work, but you can't let her bring you down.

Still on track :D Can't believe it's me saying that. Have my bag in the car to go to curves after work. Dinner is in the crockpot. Hope I get another day under my belt!

Everyone have a great rest of the week and a pleasant weekend. I have the next three days off.:D Life is good. Mary

Nanci I can see hos stressed you would be with your sister. That's not nice of her. When you have a weight problem and are losing weight you need as much support and encouragement. Your sister isn't doing it for you, but I'm sure she wants you to be there for her.

Mary I've been good, but I 'm still losing the weight from last Saturday. sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle. Enjoy your days off.

Carolyn how are things going?

Linda

Hi All - I'm back. I was away on business for a few days and didn't follow the course 100% - and guess what? I'm up! Got back on track yesterday; my daughter is doing wonderfully. She's lost 8 pounds and I can literally see her melting away. I'm going to start incorporating some berries into my diet, though - I'm really craving (yuk - I hate that word) sweet. I made up a concoction of ricotta, splenda and vanilla and enjoyed it; however, I don't know if I'm fooling myself - hope it doesn't hold back weight loss.

Carolyn, I just fininshed reading your posts and my heart is breaking for you. I know, from experience, where you are coming from. I took care of both of my parents and had to make heart-wrenching decisions for both. Sibling lives across country, so all was placed on me - not that I am complaining. My parents lived with us for many years and I will never, ever regret my decision to care for both of them - it was an honor. Our children grew up adoring their grandparents and my husband was closer to both of them than he was to his own parents. Our lives were full, wonderful, and complete and I wouldn't have changed one thing. The hurtful part was the sibling pointing fingers - I didn't realize, you should have called me, I never would have given the DNR order....blah, blah, blah....you know what, Carolyn? It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. You be true to yourself and to your dad. I know I did the right thing - had the sibling been here (and could have been there very easily, but you know....airfare is so expensive....is this really it?....I'll need time from work and $$$ for airfare when it's REALLY the time....what horse manure. Called my mom once a week for 5 minutes. Hell, my mother was in intensive care for 10 days and I was asked, "Is it serious?". C'mon...you know what, everybody has a big mouth and opinion, but nobody puts their money where their mouth is. Okay, enough ranting. It will all be alright and your father and the big man upstairs knows that you are doing your best - to hell with the rest!

Nanci - we must be blood related somewhere....lol....we have the same sister! Again - forget it. Don't measure yourself up to anyone else! I've come to the conclusion that with my sister, it's nothing geared toward me personally. She's exactly the same with everyone and anyone (including her own children)! Some people are self-centered and self-serving, and that's fine. They are the ones with the problem and they are the ones to feel sorry for. Pick your head up and go on! You're doing great!

Just my 2 cents on the ways of the world. Take care all...and keep your chin up! Robin

Robin -

I just read what you wrote and started crying.....it sounds like my life ! I'm the oldest of 5 and last year my dad moved in with us after falling in his home and breaking his hip. He'll be 91 in October and also suffers from alzheimer's and is bowel and bladder incontinent. After extensive PT he is now able to walk with a walker. I do have a wonderful lady who comes Mon-Fri for a couple of hours in the morning to help me with him. I have one sister who comes for a few hours on Saturday morning to relieve me so I can run errands and grocery shop. The other 3 siblings are absolutely WORTHLESS when it comes to any kind of help but they are the first to open their big mouths with suggestions and comments. One brother has been here maybe 4 times since last Pop moved in with us in November to visit him. It breaks my heart. Distance is not a problem since all live within 1/2 hour away. You can't make people do what they don't want to do, but they are the first ones to say something. My husband and I are both early 50's and both retired. When he retired, he was a Lieutenant in the NJ State Police for over 30 years. This is not what I thought retirement would be !!! He is very supportive and does more for my Dad than my brothers and sisters, but I know it gets to him. He recently took a part-time job to get him out of the house for some sanity....lol! I just do whatever I have to do to get through each day and look forward to my upcoming cruise !! Yes, between my one "good" sister staying at my house while we are away, and Pop's aide they will be take good care of him.

I've only lost about 15 lbs since starting Atkins in June while DH has lost 25. :mad: Last evening I tried the 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, splenda and a little vanilla. I put a few blueberries on top and some whipped cream....it was wonderful and hit the spot. :D

Dee

Archived