Atkins forum

mecb50

Alan that same question has been nagging me. During the week, I have no trouble staying on plan. But DH and I are very social creatures who entertain and are entertained a lot - at least twice a week. Sometimes I have no control over what is being served for dinner. That's where I get into trouble. Like tonight. We're playing a round of golf this afternoon and having dinner with friends afterward. Oh oh! :eek:

If I remember correctly, the book says you can expect to put on as much as 5 lbs overnight after indulging in something as simple as potato salad. :(

Beth

You're right most people speak badly about Atkins but have never actually read about it. The South Beach diet seems to really be picking up steam. Has anyone here read about it? For whatever reason, Atkins was something everyone at my job was embarassed to admit they were following but everyone proudly announces they are trying the South Beach diet.

I actually do my dieting somewhere between Southbeach and Atkins. To be honest there's not that much difference when you get down to it. SB encourages less red meats, more healthy fats and more carbs than atkins but still emphasizes no white flour, potatoes, white rice, etc. Everyone freaks out about atkins because a few people take it to extreme and live on bacon, eggs, cream, cheese and steaks. Of course all those foods are allowed on atkins but you're not supposed to just eat those. But the part where you are supposed to eat veggies doesn't make for good news headlines. :rolleyes:

Tami

Anybody know the effects of a one meal (large) diet bust? How long does it take to get back into ketosis? Do you stop losing (I presently have anyway) or do you gain 1-2 lbs. back, or do you gain a lot back? I might just eat some of everything at our reunion this weekend if I am still stalled, but will probably have the willpower not to if I start losing again.

My mom used to do Atkins religiously, and I just called her and asked and she said it takes between 2 to 3 days to get back into ketosis. No big thing, I'm sure the big meal was wonderful and worth it :)

eyern-

If you want to take something low carb but that will still make you feel like part of it all I'd highly suggest you go check out http://www.foodnetwork.com. Look for the show Low Carb and Lovin It. George has a recipe for low carb brownies that looks fantastic. I haven't made that but if the low carb cheesecake, pizza and other recipes I've tried are any indication they'll be fabulous. I made the cheesecake for a party a while back and there wasn't a crumb left. :D I'm trying his low carb maple pecan pancakes for camping this weekend. Most of his things use soy flour which I can even get in my small town grocery.

Tami

Alan, Please don't worry about your company dinner. Try to choose wisely and most of all, enjoy yourself. This time of year they will usually have salad and cold cuts, so it shouldn't be a problem. Any weight you gain, will be lost quickly if you are only talking about one carb load. I have found very few places that didn't have things I could eat without guilt. Have a good time and let us know how you do.

I was ON TRACK today. Went to Curves, ate correctly. and I feel much better. Now I go back to work for five days , so hope I can keep it up.

Linda and Carolyn ...how's it going? Tami and Beth, you are both doing well. Maybe I can join you. Good luck and have a great weekend. Mary

Thanks mecb and adoptmom. Mecb, unfortunately it is a family dinner and they all can cook (I won't mention what we usually have in order to spare y'all temptation). Adoptmom, I'll get my wife to look and maybe she can make something from there. Alan.

Alan, if you are all bringing something...you DW can surely make her dish low carb. People really won't know so you will KNOW you have something you can have. Also bring some sugar free jello so that you can have something sweet if the dessert table is calling to you. Good luck and let us know. Mary

Hi! I have some good news, especially for Alan. We played the round of golf as planned (don't ask how well I did :o ) and then had dinner with friends. She served baked cranberry brie in puff pastry with crackers for an appetizer and I had more than my share. Dinner was fairly Atkins friendly though, sausage, chicken and veggie kabobs with brown and wild rice on the side and a green salad with mandarines. I even had a tiny piece of apple pie. Only about 5 mouthfuls with frozen yogurt. Oh yes and then there was the wine, about 4 glasses. Now here's the good news. I was fully expecting to be up at least 2 lbs but I was DOWN 1.2 - go figure.:rolleyes: Maybe I'll pay for this later but since I was never able to get into ketosis, that part isn't a concern. We have dinner guests again tonight, but this time I'm in control of the menu.

Beth

Hi everybody - my daughter and I just started low-carbing it (we're both fat WW experts - you all know what I'm talking about, I'm sure) - and we're looking to all of you to help keep us centered and balanced on our new venture. You all sound like a great group - so supportive of each other. Do you mind if we buddy up with you?

We're set to cruise in early October and yes, we'd like to have some meat off of us, but the real reason we've decided to go low-carb is due to our doctor. We just found out that my daughter (23) is insulin resistant - not yet diabetic, but since my husband is an insulin resistant diabetic (Type 2), and awaiting a kidney transplant due to diabetes, we are taking this recommendation from our doc very seriously. We questioned the doctor about the overload of protein and the history of kidney disease in the family (my mother also was diabetic and had high blood pressure - resulting in her being on dialysis for the last 6 years of her life) and he said that the most immediate issue was to get the weight off - get off the roller coaster of insulin resistance by cutting out carbs. The diabetes issue, at this point, far outweights (excuse the pun) the risk of a high protein diet. Anyhow, both of us lose extremely slowly (if at all after the first month) on WW - and the cravings are unbelievable. As a matter of fact, we've learned that insulin resistance causes the body to hold on to fat, causing slow weight loss and weight gain. Anyhow, we've been following a low-carb diet since Monday and we've both lost about 6 pounds - unheard of for either of us before and have experienced no hunger or uncontrolled urges to cheat! Unheard of!

Breakfast seems to be fine for both of us - we're out early, so I usually take a hard boiled egg and some cheese with me. Ally usually makes scrambled eggs or an omellette.

Lunch and dinner are fine - protein and veggies, with butter (of course!) or grated cheese.

Our problem - and I can't even call is a problem - is a good snack. We've been having cheese, or roll-ups, or celery and peanut butter - but any suggestions for salty, crunchy? I know there are pork rinds, but I honestly, don't know if I can bring myself to even taste them - oh, we should all have such big worries - lol. Anyhow, please forgive me if I've been rambling...and any suggestions you can supply will be grately appreciated. So happy I found you all - you all sound like a great group and very successful in your weight loss! Take us along with you! ....Robin

mecb, doesn't matter if they know or not as a lot of them are on WW and also, about 1/3 of us live on the same street and another third or more live within 2 miles (I married into a cult :eek: ) Just kidding. I have really nice relatives on her side and we do a lot of things together, such as this 4 times a year, but boy, you oughta see the spread we throw out there. Everybody brings something and talk about dessert (my weakness), WOW! :p

You're certainly welcome here Robin! :) I'm on my way out to do some grocery shopping, so I'll make this short. For a salty, crunchie snack, try nuts. Peanuts have saved me. But I think macadamia, pecans or walnuts may be a better choice. Two of those are either not easy to find here or are really expensive, so I stick to peanuts.

Got to go for now, but I'm sure we'll chat more later. :)

Beth

Robin, give the pork rinds a try. When it was first suggested to me and I looked at them I thought I couldn't eat them. But I've found they are very good. Stay away from the Rolete (sp) brand those were awful,, My stop and shop now has salt and vinegar or bar b ques pork rinds. I love salt & vinegar chips so these are great they are by a company called MAC.

I've been good all week except for today. The only good part of the day was I did a 2 mile walking tape and had Atkins pancakes and syrup for brkfst. Went to a Bridal and I probably ate enough carbs and sugar for the rest of the year. Of course I also overate, I good have had small portions not have seonds and have small dessert. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary happy to hear you've been on track. Where is Carolyn? Hope everything is going ok with her parents.

Still not smoking 4 weeks. Have lost 7.5 of the 11 lbs from vacation and not smoking still have the other 2 lb of pre vacation weight. I leave two weeks from today to go on vacation with best friend. We'll be relatively good but DQ is down the street and those frozen drinks one must have at night by the pool.

Robin, I can't believe you even said the word PEANUT BUTTER. It has been my downfall. I now have the rule of none in the house until I lose all the weight I want to lose ( and let's face it, that could be a LONG time). I can't control myself around it. Nuts and seeds are the same with me. I am a salty, starchy, crunchy addict, so the nuts and seed are wonderful...too wonderful. I now only buy them in very small quantities since I can't trust myself. Also be careful about peanut butter. They put hydrogenated oils in the peanut butter to homogenized it. That means trans fats. So you have to buy natural peanut butter with NO sugar added.

I love Grams cinnamon and sugar pork rinds made with splenda. Unfortunately I have to buy them on the net, since they do not sell them around here. You really can't buy any pork rinds in my area over the counter.

Linda..great about the smoking and also keeping on track. You are doing great. I got day 2 down still on track. Maybe this is a start of a new trend?:rolleyes:

Well, good luck to everyone, esp. Alan at his party. Mary

Carolyn, where are you???

How wonderful to log on and hear such great news from everybody. That is motivating!

For a change of pace on Friday, I tried a flavored water instead of plain water. The flavoring was way to sweet and set of a craving like you wouldn't believe. Well that's good to know. Will stay away from that one. Went out to dinner with my family yesterday. It was nice to be out and about but unfortunately, my planned splurge just didn't taste that good. Another learning experience won't be back to that restaurant again soon.

Trying a new recipe this evening for dinner - Stuffed sole fillets with crab and grapes. Obviously not a good idea for anyone on induction but it looked good and seemed simple enough. Will let you know how it turns out.

Okay girls - we're going to give the pork rinds a try! Mary, it's so good to hear that there's another peanut butter junkie out there - I just love it. The funny thing is, I can go for weeks and not have it, but once I've limited myself in some way (I noticed this especially when on WW, after about 2 weeks) - I do crave it. I saw that it is relatively low in carbs, but...again...too much - way overboard - if it was liquor I'd be on such a bender! Anyhow, good idea - get it out of the house.

Ally and I get on the scale daily (bad idea, I know; however it's hard to break a love affair - we dance regularly: first thing in the morning, first thing after getting home from work, and last thing before bed - another habit that has to be broken) - we're both losing about a pound a day? I know it's got to end sometime - just luvin' it for the moment.

We're having the whole family over for dinner tonight - my son's 27th BD - they don't know we're following low-carb. The menu: Roast loin of pork, broccoli with cheese, summer squash and for the rest of the crew - baked potatoes and stuffing. I was also going to serve Pepperidge Farm's crusty french dinner rolls, but then I thought, what, am I a masochist? Fugetabout it - no rolls! For dessert I ordered a birthday cake - takes the temptation away from me to lick the bowl; bought a tray of brownies (ditto about licking the bowl); and I'm making up parfaits for Ally and me to have - making a few extras, too - just in case someone wants one. Not telling them that they're low-carb. I know these are a little off the money, but at least we're still staying relatively good.

The Parfait:

Jello no sugar instant chocolate and vanilla pudding made with heavy cream instead of milk

Whipped heavy cream with Splenda

Blend the puddings with whipped cream - to further cut carbs and lighten it up

Alternate layers of chocolate and vanilla pudding in parfait glass and top with a dollup (or two - or three - or forget it and I'll finish the whipped cream myself) of whipped cream!

The package lists carb count at 8 per serving made with skim milk - so I'm figuring I've dropped it significantly.

This is a once in a while treat; I'm hoping it doesn't affect us too much.

Iscole - we're going to a wedding in August and I'm a little nervous about the dinner - guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Hoping I'm down enough that THAT keeps me motivated. Sounds like you're pretty much on the money most of the time - don't beat yourself up (I'm sure I wouldn't - but then again, that's why I could be a WW, Lean Line, etc., etc., lecturer! lol)

And congratulations on getting off the butts! it's so hard quitting! I know. I quit for 13 years and went back - stupid, stupid, stupid. Anyhow, I quit for the last, final, never (although, never say never) put a cig back in my mouth ever again - on April 20th, 2001. Keep up the good work - it does get better. Just remember, get past any craving because once you take one puff - that's it - you're right back where you started. I'm so happy they took this commercial off the TV - it showed a cigarette dancing around, trying to get the "quitter" to smoke - take a puff - stupid - but...that damn commercial always got to me - lol - guess it got to a lot of people because it's off the air.

Okay all, thank you so much for including me in your group - what a great way to start the day - you inspire me (okay, it's getting a little thick) ... here's hoping you have a wonderful Sunday and a great week. "Talk" to you all next week...Robin

Good morning everyone!:) Well - I got through entertaining friends last night relatively in tact. I did cheat a bit though. Luckily I seem to have gotten away with it because my weight is the same this morning as yesterday. Whew! :D The only thing I had that was really bad was a tiny piece of pecan pie with cookies and cream ice cream. But it tasted sooooooo good. :p Now I'm done and got it out of my system.

If you're a seafood lover, I found it will get you through a lot of challenging times. I served crab cakes for an appetizer and will admit to having a bit of tartar sauce too. Then dinner was BBQd salmon with corn on the cob, cauliflower and a caesar salad on the side. I only baked three potatoes so there was no danger of me having one. And I forgot to put the dinner rolls on the table. I found them in the microwave as I was serving dessert. Ooops!

Robin I forgot to add one word of caution about the nuts - cashews. It's the only nut that will get you into trouble.

It seems we all got through the week-end unscathed. Good work!

Beth

Synewton, I can totally sympathize on the flavored water thing. I told everyone I splurged on a lemon perrier...it was wonderful. Well, I was in walmart and saw these "flavored" waters, so I thought I'd give them a try. Bought one liter of each flavor. Was I disappointed. SOOO sweet. I though it would just be a mild flavor. Live and learn.:(

Day 3 on track. Hope this is a trend. I also have a wedding in August. Good things I have these mini-events to try to keep me on track for my April cruise.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Mary

Beth, congrats on the party . You did a good job.!:D

synewton-

there are some really good flavored waters out there that don't have sweeteners. I always have to look to make sure there's no nutrasweet in them. They dont' cause me to have cravings too badly but I just dont' like the sickly sweetness of them. :p Also you can make your own by squeezing a bit of lime, lemon or orange juice into plain water. I also like to open the bottle and shove in some crushed raspberries or blueberries, re cap the bottle and let them meld for a little bit.

Tami

We just got back. Brr! I can't believe it was 95 on Thursday and now it's 62! It was nice weather for camping though. I'm not sure how I did weight wise this weekend. I had a couple of off diet things but also walked 17,000 steps each day. (I took the pedometer andeach trip to the bathroom was 1000 steps! :D With 3 kids to take I was able to really rack them up.) Hopefully I'll have good news in the morning. Right now I'm in need of a shower and a nap.

Tami

Tami, It's the fizz I want in the water. As for plain water, I like it just like that. No lemon or lime. Just water. But Soda Water I love just a hint of flavor. I do have fresh limes so I could buy plain soda and just squeeze a little. I guess I'm just lazy. Glad you did well camping. Good luck tomorrow. Mary

Hello all,

I am using my cruise for motivation and I am also low carbing. I have a little cheese dip mixed with little salsa with my hot N spicey porkrinds. Some how I feel like I'm eating chips and salsa. Plus they make me drink more water.

Please pass on any tricks you have, I welcome changes in what I eat.

Well, good news bad news. I hung in there and only ate ribs and chicken with only a little bit of sauce. Didn't touch a dessert. Drank a lot on splenda lemonade (a couple in the family brought it-they've been on Atkins since Jan and lost 57# each :cool: ). It was a hot sweaty day. Bad news, i got on the scales (I know- don't weigh every day-well fuggedaboutit, I'm gonna) and GAINED 4#. How the heck? Oh well. Maybe it will fall right back off. Tricks, welcome in. I am using my fat arse and belly as motivation LOL. Hope you do well. Nosno, way to hang in there :D Good luck everyone.

Hi Everybody - just a follow up about my parfaits - it was wonderful, but gave me such heartburn I thought I was gonna die (and around 1:00 am I would have paid someone to shoot me and put me out of my misery!).

Beth, I really enjoyed my cashews yesterday (lol). I bought a big container of mixed nuts and ate mainly the cashews yesterday....now I understand why I'm up a little this morning. Probably the combo of the pudding and the nuts. I'm going to lay low and get right back on the stick today. Although, I must say, I'm not even the least bit hungry.

Eyern - it was probably the heat; you must be holding a lot of water. I, on the other hand, am holding a lot of pudding and nuts! Hope we both drop back ASAP!

Archived