Atkins forum

mecb50

Actually nuts are very low in carbs and are what's saving me. Not cashews though.

I meant no criticsm for Linda at all and was only trying to inform her. She's done a great job. :) I'm not sure if I'd do so well in her shoes. Cigarette addiction is a real tough one to break and I applaud anyone who does or even makes an attempt to quit. Thankfully, that's one of the very few vices I didn't aquire. But it was only because I have asthma and am highly allergic to cigarettes or I'm sure I'd have that issue too. :p

Beth

Beth,

Yes it was very good and I enjoyed every bite, although I couldn't come close to finishing the whole thing. I also got a horrible headache afterwards because I'm not used to the sugar anymore. Funny, before I started my sugar and white flour free diet I would have eaten that plus 2 or 3 other things and not had a headache.

Peanuts sound good too but I can't eat them or almonds. I have an ileostomy and they can cause a blockage. I can eat pistachios and pecans with no problem though. Wierd.

Next week should be entertaining. We've got the fair Monday for 4H, John and I are going to Cedar Point for our anniversary Tues- Thurs and then camping with our homeschool group Fri- Sun. I'm going to have to do tons of walking and hope for the best. At least for the camping I can take only atkins friendly foods.

Tami

I was almost thinking of getting the "atkins at home" plan. Where they deliver your meals and snacks. I decided against it because , besides the price (36.95 a day) I really have to learn to buy and eat properly. Depending upon someone else to decide what to eat and how much is easy, but then what happens when I have to decide what to eat/buy myself.

I learned that the carb solutions peanut butter has TRANS FATS in it. I was so bummed. We really not only have to read the nutritional breakdown but read all the ingredients as well. It so reminds me of the "low fat" products that were/are nothing but junk!.

Well, I went to Curves before work this morning , and plan on staying on track. Hope everyone else is doing well. Mary

PS bought some natural peanut butter. Said NO TRANSFATS on the label, but they didn't have a list of ingredients.:confused: I'll never get this right. And Beth, I'm only on my second little piece of gum!!! and it's after noon.:D

Mary,

That's wierd that the natural peanut butter you bought doesn't have an ingredients list. They're required by law. Does it have the calories and nutritional facts listed on it? If so that can tell you how much sugar is in it. I just went and looked and the macadamia butter I buy for my daugther just has a little line that says 100% roasted macadamia nuts. I looked past it twice. There are some great alternatives to peanut butter out there. We've been experimenting alot due to my little one's peanut allergy. Soy nut butter tastes the most like peanut butter. Almond butter and hazelnut butter are good. By far, my favorite is roasted sunflower seed butter.

Tami

How's everyone doing?

I've been on a roller-coaster this past week.

Hope that the "live-in" will work out.. not sure yet.

Dad's another story... finally got in touch w/MD who's now finally listening to me carefully about his meds. Dad's got LOW sodium, has had low blood pressure and also is anemic. They finally took him off the lasix (had been off it since April but think the last couple of weeks they put him back on it). They also "just" took him off the zoloft... his MD didn't know why they put him on it... don't know what's happening w/iron... he's on supplements but seems like they're not helping . Finally got MD to prescribe an "ensure" like shake (actually 2 a day) so that Dad will get added nutrition if he doesn't eat and also is on 2 beta blockers as well as just being put on ace-inhibitor.

They also visit him in the AM when he's resting and lying flat and kind of slurs his speach.. probably they're even thinking he's had a stroke but I get him to take clearly... so that's where I'm at right now. Oh, found out yesterday that the nurse was withholding the shakes from him at dinner since she wanted him to eat... so he didn't eat much of his meal and didn't get the shake... told the MD.

I've been drinking a shake in AM and sometimes one at night.. Popping the Cortislim. Don't know if it's doing anything for weight.. but I still have my hair but I think the scale might be creaping. I'm watching what I'm eating.. can't believe I've been able to stay on program.. if anything I've had a bit too much brocoli or zuccini but I think that choices could be "much worse".

Mary, re:Atkins at home I wonder if it's for seriously losing weight since it probably is full of "net carbs". I'm even popping AM/PM cleanse, fat converter (when I have something that's a bit heavy), Basic #3... can you all believe I'm buying their supplements being the "atkins purist" (which makes me miss Hope).

I'm going to have a little break tomorrow. I'm taking train to NYC to see my Aunt (Dad's elder sister) who lives down near the South Street Seaport. Maybe I'll browse Macys before taking train downtown. Probably have meal w/her (though I'm not really into eating these days). Haven't seen her in a while. Will be waiting for some info from MDs on Monday whether Dad's going to go home on Thursday. On the phone call I had on Friday he was even saying if Dad didn't get a bit stronger he'd put him back in hospital.. Mom didn't need the added stress from that.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.

Carolyn

Well, just got the new jar of peanut butter. It's Smucker's Natural Peanut butter, creamy. Says made without hydrogentated oil. Back just has the nutritional info: NO ingredients. ( 100% peanuts or anything). I thought it was the law too. Maybe its just peanuts ( but where does the oil come from...maybe from whipping the peanuts?).

Carolyn, things are sounding a bit up and then a bit down. Roller coaster it is!. The atkins at home is 20 net carbs per day. Then after two weeks they will increase your carbs if you want. I really can't afford it and really just want to do it myself. ( I say this as a eat the peanut butter I got out to check the label:mad: ) Maybe you will pleasantly surprised when you finally get to the gym and found that the scale has finally moved for you.

I did get to Curves today. One good thing. Hope everyone is doing well. Mary

Good luck everyone.

I can't find my Atkins book, but I briefly checked the web site and I couldn't find anything specific regarding gum Mary If your buying gum from Atkins then it's allowed. But Beth is also on the right track. It could possible stall weight loss. I know when I've eaten too many Atkins snacks per day but within the carb per day limit my weight loss will often stall. I figure 5.5lbs in 5 days is good. But right now I need the gum to get me through.

Mary I was really bad today :( I had to take my biweekly medication and that was my excuse to eat too many carbs.

Mary refresh my memory were not allowed transfat? I have carb solution peanut butter also but have eaten it once. There are so many new products coming out that are low in carbs, it's like the low fat no fat craze from years ago. I heard on the news that the low carb diets are beginning to fall out of craze, that many of the products on the market won't make it that consumers will decide that they want taste not just tolerating a product cause it's low in carb. I know I do that.

Carolyn it sound like things are falling into place. It's amazing that when you have a parent etc in a facility or hosp you still have to be an advocate. Checking on meds you have no idea how often meds get messed up.

It's been three weeks and NO CIGS. Thank you everyone for all your support, you've been fantastic. I did 3 mile walking tape today. I couldn't have done that 3 weeks ago.

I love the ricotta recipe I used almond extract and that yummy!!!!!!!

Were expecting major rain tomorrow afternoon. :( That type of weather in tha past has been my excuse to eat.

Have a happy rest of the weekend. :)

Mary,

I'm almost positive that smuckers is 100% peanuts. They're very oily and most of the natural nut butters we have to buy come with a layer of oil on top. I found out from doing allergy research that alot of the reason they use trans fats in regular peanut butter is to keep it from separating and to keep it from needing refrigeration. Your smuckers will require being in the fridge.

The one thing I don't like about the natural butters is that they are oily on top and dry at the bottom. If I'm going to use alot I like to toss it in the food processor. Otherwise I pour off the oil on top, make Delaney a rollup, and then pour the oil back on the top. Thank goodness she's not allergic to all nuts because she lives on nutbutter rollups. I've found a couple of great low carb brands that don't have cornstarch in them. I also buy her naan when I go to the indian store. :( I just can't eat too much of it because it has loads of carbs. Less than bread, for sure, but still too many.

Tami

I've just re-started Atkins (bought the book and did it about 5 years ago, but gave the book away) and need some help. How many carbs do you restrict yourself to in the induction phase? Is the induction phase followed only until you get into ketosis, or for a certain number of days. I don't plan on added many carbs back in after induction, but what is the # to keep youself under after induction (recommended #-I know the fewer you add in will help the loss continue). It's working already in less than 5 days but Lordy, I'm taking in 10 or less carbs a day right now, 0 a couple of days! :D

I've just re-started Atkins

Welcome back

How many carbs do you restrict yourself to in the induction phase? Is the induction phase followed only until you get into ketosis, or for a certain number of days. I don't plan on added many carbs back in after induction, but what is the # to keep youself under after induction (recommended #-I know the fewer you add in will help the loss continue). It's working already in less than 5 days but Lordy, I'm taking in 10 or less carbs a day right now, 0 a couple of days! :D

20 carbs on induction which is two week. You are suppose to be in ketosis by than. For me I stayed on induction for four weeks.

After induction you add back 5 carbs a week, mostly veggies, than berries. Add 5 a week until you stop losing than back off 5 for your personal number.

You really shouldn't be doing less than 20. You need that 3 cups of veggies for nutrition and to keep, real you know REGULAR.

The info is on the Atkins web site.

Melody

Well, I did well yesterday with the gum. but I've had 3 pieces already today. I am planning on doing the 2 mile walk tape when I get home from work. As far as transfats go...we shouldn't have any. Atkins ( and I believe other research) has shown that they are actually worse than saturated fats. Atkins believes that it is the transfats that are causing heart disease. It has nothing to do with weight loss it has to do with health. I think it's in 2005 that they will have to be listed on the nutrional labels.

Linda, you have done so great:D We are definately your cheering section.

Welcome back eyern, and I second what was said about not cutting carbs entirely. Carbs are not bad, in fact they are essential. It's just that we consume too much ( in my case..WAY too much!). Try to eat at least 20 carbs a day and keep them in vegatable form. You do need the fiber as well.

I'll be home alone after work, so I plan to settle down and relax. Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend. It looks as if our weather forcast here is going to be pretty bad...hope everyone's is better. Mary

I was doing so well, but had a bit of a setback yesterday. :( Two things happened. First, we were out golfing and DH went to get some cold drinks for us. He knew Diet Pepsi was OK so assumed Diet Coke was too. Wrong! I took one big mouthful and then read the label (which BTW are not mandatory in Canada) and the bottle had 37 gms. :eek: I gave it to him and stuck with my lukewarm water. Then all four of us came back to our house for dinner. I was ready for that - BBQ chicken wings, potato salad which I didn't even touch and caesar salad (no croutons for me). I did have two ryes with Diet Pepsi. But I had a weak moment and added a wee bit of BBQ sauce to the wings that I had seasoned for me. Bad Beth. And to make matters worse, I ate a teeny, tiny piece of apple pie with a dab of butterscotch ice cream. :o I couldn't believe how sweet it tasted. The end result - up 1 lb this morning. Now I'm back to square one. My own da**ed fault. :rolleyes:

Beth

Beth, don't beat yourself up. Look, you took SMALL servings . I'll bet the pound is just daily fluctuation. It will be gone tomorrow.:D I think you did great. By the way, there are great BBQ sauces now for wings. Next time , bring your own bottle! I like the steels,Atkins, and the Carb options sauce. They are all pretty low carb, esp. compaired with "real" BBQ sauce. Steels and Atkins I buy on line, but the carb options is in the supermarket. HOWEVER, I will now have to scrutinize the label of the the Carb options since I found transfat in the peanut butter, goodness knows what's in the sauce:confused:

I have been good so far today..had a morning start bar as a snack in the AM ( usually don't snack, but I was hungry). It took care of that and I'm having Chicken and salad for supper. Now, let's think positive and wish those pounds away. (If only it was that easy!) Mary

Are you drinking the caffeiene free ones? I thought these and other artificially sweetened foods weren't allowed because of the "gycemic index" and that they would make your body "think" it was about to get sugar since they were sweet tasting, thus disrupting your blood glucose levels. Are they only disallowed/discouraged to keep your blood sugar from dropping and thus giving you cravings? Are there any of you who regularly drink diet coke or tea sweetened with splenda? How can diet coke have carbs if it has only a couple of calories (somethings wrong with that picture-must have looked at the label wrong). If so, how are you doing with the losing? And what about the Atkins products themselves. I bought some of the expensive shakes and I notice they have splenda in them. Isn't that a contradiction? I haven't looked yet at the expensive candy bars she just bought me. Alan.

Alan, I think you are somewhat confused. Artificially sweeted foods are "allowed" on Atkins. The problem with aspartamine is that it causes some people to stall. Dr Atkins suggests splenda instead of sugar. It tolerates high heat for cooking . Most of the approved low carb products are sweetened with Splenda. I think what you are refering to is that some people who are VERY sensitive to sweet products...eating them with artificial sweetener will make their cravings for such things come back. I haven't found that, but I was not a "sweet tooth" . I was a starch addict. I think it's best to eat real food that you sweeten yourself with splenda. Then you know what's in it. All packaged foods we should all avoid, but in this fast paced society, we get these for convienience. ( sorry I'm a terrible speller!). The closer we stick to basic "whole" foods, the better we are. And that goes for any WOE. Keep within your carb count and you will do fine. Mary

We went to DD's house for dinner yesterday and although I wasn't really bad, I had small servings of mashed potatoes and apple crisp. I really expected to see a gain this morning, especially after my Saturday fiasco but to my surprize I was down the 1 lb that I had gained the day before. :confused: I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if I'll pay the price tomorrow. It doesn't really matter because I'm back on strict induction today. This week I only have one event to worry about. That's Friday when we golf with friends and then go to their house for dinner. I'll worry about that when I get there. :D

I did discover that Diet Pepsi is not OK. It also has 37 gm of carbs. There is a house brand in our local grocery store that's OK, so I'll stick with that.

Beth

I did discover that Diet Pepsi is not OK. It also has 37 gm of carbs. There is a house brand in our local grocery store that's OK, so I'll stick with that.

Beth

Beth, that's freaky. I was sitting here drinking my morning diet coke (my preference over coffee) when I read this so I went and looked at the bottle. My diet Vanilla coke says zero carbs. I'm so glad! I need a little boost of fizz in the morning to get me breathing again.

Tami

Beth, that's freaky. I was sitting here drinking my morning diet coke (my preference over coffee) when I read this so I went and looked at the bottle. My diet Vanilla coke says zero carbs. I'm so glad! I need a little boost of fizz in the morning to get me breathing again.

Tami

Don't forget that I don't live in the US. Formulae can be a bit different because the manufacturers adjust the taste for the area. I'm sorry I scared you. :o

Beth

Beth, I didn't know about the formulation difference. I try to stay away from soda. The only fizzy stuff I have is perrier when I splurge. I am so used to drinking water that when I have "real" soda diet/or otherwise it's way too sweet.

Water is my drink of choice and I try to have it with me at all times. I also told you that you weren't bad and that the weight was just normal fluctuation. Glad it worked out.

Linda, back with you AGAIN on strict induction. Am going to make it through the whole day this time:rolleyes:

Tami, if I was going to drink a diet soda it would be the diet coke with lime. I had that at a party one time and I really liked the taste.

Everyone stay on track..must get back to work. Mary

Beth,

No problem. It actually helped wake me up this morning. My kitten woke me up at 5:30 this morning and then my 4 year old had a meltdown at 6. I really don't function until at least 8am so I needed the kick. I knew that the formulation in MExico was different but it never really occurred to me that the carbs would be different in other countries.

Mary,

I hear what you're saying about lime diet coke. It's a tossup as to whether I like it or the vanilla better. Never try the lemon though. To me it tastes like what you accidently breathe in when you use insect repellent like OFF. :( I also drink alot of carbonated waters as long as they aren't sweetened and I'm beginning to really like green tea. Plain water won't cut it in the morning though, especially not during sinus season. Some people need their caffeine but I need my fizz.

Tami

Tami, I splurged last night on a bottle of lemon Perrier. I have it in the fridge for dinner tonight. I am going to put pork chops in the crock pot using a low carb recipie from a low carb slow cooking book I have. It's nice to have dinner ready when I come home. I have already made the salad, so all I'll have to do is cook the asparagus and that's a quicky.

Going to a laboratory instrument demonstration today, so they will provide lunch. Always a worry for me. I'm going to bring a meal repacement bar incase they don't have anything I can eat. ( Sometimes they have pizza delivered :eek: )

I got on the scale today and had a heart attack. Told my husband I would divorce him if he brought any more peanut butter in the house. As you can tell, Linda, I was good until after dinner when I saw the jar of peanut butter. I literally threw it out last night! Today I am going to make it through the WHOLE day, I promise!

Carolyn, hope everythings going well. Good luck everyone. Mary

My DH does the grocery shopping and most of the cooking during the week. :) Yes I know I'm spoiled, but he's retired and I'm not. His idea of legal foods and mine aren't the same. Last week he brought home a cantalope, thinking that he'd done a real good thing. He's almost finished it now. :D So now, I've left the Atkins book out on the kitchen table with a bookmark to the page of allowable foods for induction. If it's not on the list, it's not going into my mouth. Period! :D

Now for the problem. There always is one you know. :p Other than a few peanuts, I ate nothing I wasn't supposed to. My weight hasn't budged since the weekend when I had a few things I shouldn't. Maybe it takes a few days to get the chemistry back in line. :confused:

Beth

We went to DD's house for dinner yesterday and although I wasn't really bad, I had small servings of mashed potatoes and apple crisp. I really expected to see a gain this morning, especially after my Saturday fiasco but to my surprize I was down the 1 lb that I had gained the day before. :confused: I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if I'll pay the price tomorrow. It doesn't really matter because I'm back on strict induction today. This week I only have one event to worry about. That's Friday when we golf with friends and then go to their house for dinner. I'll worry about that when I get there. :D

Beth

Nosno, I can't understand that at all. Each gram of carb has 4 cal, so that would be 148 cal per can, which is the same as a non diet one. Something has been mislabeled. There's nothing diet about that at all.

Archived