Question about the Maasdam

twoatsea

From reading this board, I know there are a lot of you CC folks out there who know the Maasdam from stem to stern! :D So, I have a question, please.

We leave for a 15 day cruise on 4/28/06. :D Have never cruised longer than 7 days. On the deck plan there is a "Launderette". Is this a washer & dryer area for passenger use? 1 of each machine or more? Do we need to bring our quarters, or is it free? What about laundry soap? Is it really available or always busy?

Trying to decide on how much to pack. Would rather pack for 1 week, do the laundry thing (just like at home :eek: ), & wear the same clothes for the 2nd week. Hate to pack 2 big suitcases!

Thanks in advance

There's several self-service laundries aboard---check the deck plans for locations. The nearest one to your cabin could be on a different deck.

Each launderette has a few machines---can't remember how many. Maybe 2 or 4 of each, washer and dryer?:confused: There's a charge of $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or reverse; I never can remember). You can change bills for quarters at the Front Desk. (No sense carrying those heavy things.) Detergent is provided complementary. Bring your own dryer sheets.

There are also irons and ironing boards in the laundry for those so inclined.

Ditto Ruth's info.

Though laundry/dry cleaning is included in the fare for our cabin category, from time to time, I go to the Laundry Room on Verandah Deck and find it very handy. I mainly only go to use the iron and ironing board but notice the machines are only sometimes in use which means you should not have a problem finding a convenient time for you to do your laundry.

Enjoy Maasdam......she's a great ship IMO

Non-suite passengers can also pay for per per bag to have laundry or buy a laundry package for the cruise. The bags are fairly small but will hold at least a couple's clothes from one day or two days worth for one person.

We are also on the 4/28 15 day cruise and will be signing up for the laundry package the day we embark. Not inexpensive, but worth it to us. We get to pack less and also don't have to spend cruise time doing laundry. On a port intensive cruise we especially don't want to be doing laundry. (The per bag and laundry package are laundry only, not dry cleaning which is a separate cost for those not in suites.)

We always get the laundry package on longer cruises and so far have been pleased.

I used the laundry service on our eleven day cruise. It was $12.00 a bag and you would be amazed at how much you can fit into a bag if you roll the clothes. Shirts and slacks come back pressed and on hangers. Undies come neatly folded in a basket and are wrapped in tissue paper. We used it at least two times and it was certainly worth it to me. I don't want to use the laundryroom on the cruise ship even if it is there ... I'm on vacation!! I recommend the laundry service very highly. Never had a problem.

I love having the self-service laundries onboard the ships, especially for a 10-day or longer cruise, I can enjoy packing lighter. I have never had a problem finding a machine when I needed to do laundry, very convenient.

If you are a night owl, do it at night. We wound up taking a looong nap one day, and my husband did our laundry around 2am. No one was around, and wound up walking around an almost empty ship getting a good unimpeded look at all the antiques and art while he waited for the machines to finish up.

Non-suite passengers can also pay for per per bag to have laundry or buy a laundry package for the cruise. The bags are fairly small but will hold at least a couple's clothes from one day or two days worth for one person.

Maybe it was done differently on the Amsterdam this past January, but I recall paying something like $17 for a full bag of laundry, and believe me ... that bag was NOT small. I got something like six tee-shirts, three pairs of jogging pants, and four "Aloha" shirts in there ... easy.

I think maybe because it was a 30-day cruise, they gave the passengers a break?

Believe me, I'm not about to do laundry when I'm on vacation. I think I sent laundry out twice during the cruise, and it was the best money I spent. The stuff came back the next day ... hung on hangers, and ready to be put into the closet. I would do the exact same thing again the next time I cruise. No way do I want to shleap anymore suitcases through airports than I have to. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hated to bump this post up, but definitely want to say "Thanks" to everyone who responded. We like the idea of the laundry facilities, but we also like the option of having it done for us at a resonable price. So, we will just "wing it"! If we feel like doing it, we will; if we don't, we won't! How much better can life get!:) At least now, thanks to all of you, we have the info we need in order to make the decision.

Thanks again.

Archived