What do you ladies wear on airplanes?

Mrsdigi

Our flights are generally long. DH will usually wear nice slacks, shirt, with a sweater or windbreaker jacket.

Depending upon season, I will either wear nice jeans or cotton slacks, and a nice top with a sweater or jacket. Both of us pack an extra outfit in our carry-ons, in case of a luggage loss.

Since September 11, I will use sportsbras on airplanes. No metal in them. We know of an elderly lady who was asked to remove her underwire bra before boarding a flight right after Sept. 11.

I don't mind being asked to remove my shoes, but a bra is too much.

You should always wear natural fabrics while flying. No panty hose. These could melt into your skin if there should be intense heat during an accident.

Barb

I Used to dress to the hilt...Now I wear jeans and a nice top/jacket.I like to look nice but the nylons were KILLING me. Wear whatever you want to wear- Believe me- Nobody cares but YOU!!-Judy

You're so right. Sitting in a cramped main-cabin seat, you need to be dressed comfortably.

My next flight will be Boston to Honolulu next winter. Jeans & sneaks for me.

Barb

Since September 11, I will use sportsbras on airplanes. No metal in them. We know of an elderly lady who was asked to remove her underwire bra before boarding a flight right after Sept. 11.

I don't mind being asked to remove my shoes, but a bra is too much.

Barb

The security wands used right after September 11th were not powerful enough to detect underwire in underwire bras so I'm thinking maybe it was something else.

I've flown literally hundreds of times after September 11th and have never had a problem with underwire. No one has copped a feel or asked me to remove my bra.

Millions of women fly every single day wearing a bra.

As far as what I wear it depends on whether it is a long haul and the climate at my point of origination and my point of destination.

I usually try to look nice in hopes of an upgrade. The airlines have dress codes for this sort of thing.

On my trip from LAX to St. Thomas, I wore jeans, a plaid blouse, and a black pullover sweater, with espadrilles. It was a two leg journey, LAX to Miami, Miami to St. Thomas...so I opted for comfort. On the way back from my cruise (Ft. Lauderdale - LAX), I had on a little sundress and white sandals. Looked cute, but both the plane and LAX, upon return home....were COLD!

I usually dress for comfort, but I also like to look nice. I like to wear something, when I come home from my vacation, sort of fun and kicky, to remind me of the great time I just had!

Jane :)

I try to look decent but not at the cost of comfort!! I have a black pants and jacket that I always wear--with a colorful t-shirt. All items are VERY stretchy and all have pockets! Pockets are very important to me. I also wear thin socks and my Danskos. When I walk thru security I don't want to be barefoot.

I have a metal rod supporting my spine so never worry about underwear!

I also put a complete itinerary in my luggage and in my tags. If my luggage is lost I won't be able to replace the clothing on ship (size) and probably not in port. I want it to have a chance to find me.

The security wands used right after September 11th were not powerful enough to detect underwire in underwire bras so I'm thinking maybe it was something else.

I've flown literally hundreds of times after September 11th and have never had a problem with underwire. No one has copped a feel or asked me to remove my bra.

Millions of women fly every single day wearing a bra.

You may not have encountered a metal detector powerful enough to find the underwire in your bra, but I certainly have! Years before 9/11, my underwire set off every metal detector in the tourist sites of Washington DC. Just last year, it set off the detector at O'Hare. The security lady frisked me to ensure that it was just an underwire, and said that it happens all the time.

I agree with SweetDreams on the Victoria's Secret IPEX No-Wire Bras, they are AWESOME! They are pricey, around $45-50 maybe more, but are very worth it. I only have one but plan on buying some more.

I have set off the metal detectors and the wand also in 2-3 airports (Charleston, WV; Charlotte, NC; and Atlanta, GA) with my bras also and my tennis shoes. So, now I will be switching my bras and not wearing my tennis shoes when I fly. I was felt up bywomen at the airports too!

I will wear comfortable attire for flying, bring along a jacket and make sure it's something nice also that is good for dining out/shopping too!

Many metal detectors (not the wands) detect cumulative levels of metal. I always wear underwire bras and have never set off the metal detector. However, I remove all my jewelry and stick it in my bag prior to going through the metal detector....

As for the rest of my clothing, comfortable and neat. Never jeans (not comfy enough) Usually slim knit pants from Lands End, t-shirt and a cardigan.

LMCruise, if you re-read Caviargal's reply, she said she wears dress

slacks if she is going to a meeting...that would be for work.

On the plane for business travel. As you said you are 24..guessing maybe

you are a college student? Remember, we are all ages and backgrounds

on here. Some of us (many) are way older than you and are in the

workforce.

I wasn't referring to Caviargal, I was referring to the entire thread, just some examples:

crucero-amante--says slacks and a blouse

sail7seas--says decent black slacks

Happy ks--says knit skirt or dress, pants with a comfortable waistband

To set another thing straight, I am in the "workforce." I don't want to be offended, because I know you didn't mean it this way, but it sort of felt like you are talking down to me. Yes, I do understand a MEETING is for WORK.

I graduated college 3.5 years ago. I don't know many 24 year olds that are in college--maybe I come from a different background than you. I work for my state's government and I do travel for business, meeting mostly with the federal government and other state governments. My coworkers are my age to 48, and we all dress comfortably on the plane. Nobody wears "meeting clothes." We clean up and change clothes whenever we get there so we look fresh and put together. Of course, my coworkers right now are all women, so I'm sure that influences things. I always see men dressed in business attire.

Ever had a attendant spill a drink on you in turbulence? I have...thank goodness I bring my clothes instead of wear them!

I wasn't referring to Caviargal, I was referring to the entire thread, just some examples:

crucero-amante--says slacks and a blouse

sail7seas--says decent black slacks

Happy ks--says knit skirt or dress, pants with a comfortable waistband

To set another thing straight, I am in the "workforce." I don't want to be offended, because I know you didn't mean it this way, but it sort of felt like you are talking down to me. Yes, I do understand a MEETING is for WORK.

I graduated college 3.5 years ago. I don't know many 24 year olds that are in college--maybe I come from a different background than you. I work for my state's government and I do travel for business, meeting mostly with the federal government and other state governments. My coworkers are my age to 48, and we all dress comfortably on the plane. Nobody wears "meeting clothes." We clean up and change clothes whenever we get there so we look fresh and put together. Of course, my coworkers right now are all women, so I'm sure that influences things. I always see men dressed in business attire.

Ever had a attendant spill a drink on you in turbulence? I have...thank goodness I bring my clothes instead of wear them!

I was not talking down to you...sorry if that is how you interpreted

my comments.....just as I thought your comments were judging

those who chose to dress up rather than down.

You cannot read "tone" on the internet....so I guess we both

read each others comments wrong.

For our cruise in January I will be in jeans, tennis shoes t-shirt and leather jacket as we will be coming from snow country at that time of year and very cold in the mornings. I pray that we don't get hit with heavy snowfall the night before we are due to leave. Hate driving in the show.

Christine:D

I was not talking down to you...sorry if that is how you interpreted

my comments.....just as I thought your comments were judging

those who chose to dress up rather than down.

You cannot read "tone" on the internet....so I guess we both

read each others comments wrong.

Agreed! I know this is stupid...I was trying real hard not to be offended because I know better.

I wasn't judging others at all. I was just pointing out I come from a different background. This is one of those things that keeps changing--my great uncle wouldn't come to his own brother's funeral because he didn't own a suit to wear on the airplane. That's his generation.

Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with SweetDreams on the Victoria's Secret IPEX No-Wire Bras, they are AWESOME! They are pricey, around $45-50 maybe more, but are very worth it. I only have one but plan on buying some more.

If you think VS IPEX is great, you should try Wacoal's version. Maybe even pricier than VS but well worth it. In fact, I'll never buy another brand of any style bra. I'd rather have 3 Wacoals than 6 of anything else. Great quality.

I was an aviation weather forecaster for 24 years so I always fly in natural fabrics, preferably good jeans, cotton tops and jackets but as put together as possible. I will wear my newest, darkest jeans and take them to our local dry cleaners before I fly. For crease and all. They would walk for me if I let them. It is true, when push comes to shove, how you look will affect how you are treated. Although I am retired, I frequently use my soft laptop case as my purse. It is remarkable how much you can get in it coming home.

I have been checked for underwire bras. But since I also have a brace on my leg and am automatically checked anyway, I have learned to live with it. Until I got to Amsterdam last year when the female inspector shoved her whole fist down in between. I, too, bit my tongue before saying something along the lines of even with dinner and drinks, you are just not my type.

Well, considering I will be leaving for our flight at 2 am, drive 3 hours to make my 6 am flight..... NOTHING business casual or anything remotely uncomfortable to interfere from sleeping as much as I can get in! I'm thinking fitted tee, comfy slacks or jeans, a hooded jacket for the cool airplane. If it doesn't wrinkle, it stands a chance. I am usually a big dress up type person but this is just one area I have to give. And no makeup until we reach our destination! (OKAY maybe a little!) :)

Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions. The suggestion to wear natural fabrics is a good one. I think I'll wear jeans with cute flip flops (bring a pair of sock if my feet get cold) and one of those tank tops with the bras built in and a long sleeved shirt over that for warmth. I go through metal detectors all the time going into court, but if you set off the big detector they just wand you, they don't touch your person, so I'm definately not wearing an underwire just in case.:) And I'll leave all jewelry except my rings off.

I flew every week for 20 years and never had a drink spilled on me; I guess I was lucky.

I do care what I look like when I fly so would not wear sloppy clothes, ever. As an executive, I never knew when I was going to run into a client or co-worker. Wearing jeans and flip flops would not have been appropriate, IMO. Just my preference. And, the clothes I choose are comfortable (never did understand why very casual equates to comfortable).

To each his own....

If I'm heading from NY to FL in the winter, I usually wear my hiking "zippies" - they convert from long pants to shorts by zipping off (or putting back on) the portion from above the knee to the ankle. They look like kakhis with extra pockets. That and a short sleeve short and usually an extra long sleevet button-up (usually oversized). I usually shoot for cotton as it's the most "breatheable." I usually have my heavy coat (I take the train and Airtrain to get to/from the airport - Jamaica Station NY can be ungodly cold waiting for the 11 pm train home after being in the Carribean!). I used to wear my sneaks on the plane, but recently found a pair of Dr. Scholl's slipons that are really comfy and great for walking the airport.

As for underwires - mine don't set off the regular metal detectors, but since I usually get the SSS search I know they set off the wand. Course I used to set off the detectors when I wear 2 hair clips too...

I usually get pulled over anyway because I travel with my trusty knapsack/hikebag, and I look really young (at 40 I still get carded for alcohol every now and then!), particularly when I have my hair pulled back, my bag over my shoulder, a baggy hoodie, Reeboks (usually untied) and tech toys everywhere.

As a side note: I asked the guy at the Staute of Liberty why he pulled me off the line after scanning my bag - he said it was the combination of the dense round object the size of a baseball (my apple), the long cylinder of liquid (my 1/2 liter of water), the dense square block (the novel I was reading), and the unidentified loose electronic object (a handheld game I had with me, not a regular video type game) that all scanned in my bag. Apparently, the combination of shapes/size indicated I could create an incendery (sp?) device once I got to the island. Good to know. So now I'm more careful about what i pack in my bag

I just this morning returned from a trip to Vegas. While waiting for the metal detector line, I did see a 60ish yr old woman in a tank T, long prairie skirt and flip flops get buzzed. She was pulled aside and wanded....her bra set off both the wand and the walk through. She did have the female inspector run her hands down between her breasts and under each of her breasts and felt the closure in the back, then get wanded again. And the bra set it off again. Poor thing. I knew what she was going through. This was in the Milwaukee airport. So, not it's been 4 airports that I have seen this/or experienced it. It does happen. I don't care that much when it happens to me, I'm pretty easy going, but I feel bad for people who don't expect it or are embarrassed by it.

Mrsfuzzmo

I have a metal rod supporting my spine so never worry about underwear!

Does yours set off the detector? I have two 15-inch titanium rods in mine, and I breeze right through!

Makes you think - could I tape my titanium dive knife to my back under my shirt to take it onto the airplane? :eek: :( :mad:

911632169_titaniumdiveknife.jpg.237e61bfe778e51753e6da5c36d76de0.jpg

I'm with the "Chico's" bunch. Forget the stiff jeans unless you really like them. I fly back and forth between Cleveland and Naples, and I like the comofort of synthetics with the appropriate layers of tops when in Cleveland to take off after exiting the airport in SW Florida. You don't feel the heat until you get on the street, and even then it's only for a minute until you get onto the shuttle to the cars, which is also very cool. I see all kinds of dress on the planes, but most dress for the climate they are leaving with a wrap to protect against the chill of plane or airport to remove when needed.

BTW, I found some great buys at a Cleveland area Chico's that had been sold out at the Naples, FL stores for over a month. :D

Slinkie

Archived