What happens now?

abbydancer2003

Ok, I've never done anything quite like this before in my life, and am not sure how to proceed, and what to expect.

Last night, we got an email from Princess Dream Deals (I'm assuming that is from signing up for last minute deals) offering us a balcony cabin on the Diamond for a 2 day coastal from SF to Vancouever the week after next. We live about 30 miles from SF, so that end is easy.

I've been more or less unemployed since 2001 (I did some occasional contract work for my former employer but that dried up about a year ago), and this past Monday I received (and accepted) a job offer. I start the Monday after the cruise (thurs-sat).

Anyway, I called my husband and he thought it was too good a deal to pass up, so we booked it.

Now what happens? We were on the Sapphire in Oct, but did that through a travel agent. The cruise is in less than 2 weeks.

How do we get our documents, and information about the cruise? Is it possible to transfer it to our travel agent and is there any benefit to doing so?

Also, I didn't book transfers. I think we'll need a transfer in Vancoever because we'll either fly back from there or take a bus that leaves from the airport to seattle (cheaper and we have friends in Seattle that want to see us). I'm also debating parking the car at one of the long term lots in San Francisco, and then having princess transfer us to the ship. If I want that, should I call Princess?

We're very excited about this, but I'm concerned that it's very close, and I have no idea what documents we'll get.

I'm also assuming that on a 2 day cruise there is no formal night?

thanks,

abby

I am confused about your question...what does your employment/unemployment have to do with anything?...or am I missing something? Are you worried about being back for the start of your new job?

Princess will send you your tickets (no advantage to transferring to your TA at this stage)...call princess about transfers, etc formal night , etc. Get your answers from them and rest easy.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that if you transfered this to your agent, they get a commision...which of corse builds good feelings between you and your agent, because they know you are looking out for them. I didn't understand the rest of your question either.

You do not need any documents to board the ship as long as Princess has you booked. Check the cruise personalizer. It has all the info....print it out if it makes you feel better to have something in writing. We have booked late on both of our coastals and had not documents, just a letter from our TA. We were never asked for the letter. As soon as we gave our name, they checked the manifest and found our names.

Both of our coastals were 3 night ones and did have a formal night....don't know about a 2 night one. Probably will have one as my guess is they want to give the photographers a chance to take pictures of formal wear. They're usually busier on formal nights.

Don't get Princess transfers.....they are more expensive than a taxi. A taxi for 4 from the pier to the airport is about $25-$30 CAD depending on the traffic. You can share a cab with another couple. The taxi line is very organized in Vancouver....just ask someone in line if they are going to the airport also. Most are.

If you park in the parking lot across from the pier in SF ( I read on other posts, it's $12 a day), you can just walk across to the pier. No need for a transfer or even a taxi.

Have a great cruise and time!!!!! Coastals are fun and jam packed with many activities. On both of our 3 night coastals, we got 2 big production shows on each cruise.

Employment was just information. Sorry to confuse you.

I'll call Princess on Monday - thanks. I'm a bit concerned about them sending the tickets since wel leave in less than two weeks. I'm guessing that printing a copy of our receipt and immigration forms would likely be sufficient.

thanks.

In San Francisco, I would park at the air port or cruise ship parking.

From Vancouver, I would either book a trip back to Seattle on Quick Shuttle or consider the 6PM Amtrak train.

Then I would book a flight from Seattle to SFO and pick up the car.

(Or maybe your friends would be willing to pick you up in Vancouver?)

Thanks everyone for the great info. While I wasn't real worried, I haven't done something like this, so it is good to know that we will be able to board.:)

We'll probably take QuickCoach. We will have to go to the airport to get to the bus, since the last bus leaving from the pier leaves at 10:30, and we dock at 10.

At this end, we have to park at the airport but may just take public transportation to the ship.

Again, sorry for the confusion about the employment thing - that was why we decided to go for it, and it was just background (and after 4 years, I am excited).

thanks so much!

abby

We just booked this on Saturday - there's a roll call for it on the roll call board!

We're going to park across the street from the pier (I think it's 55 Francisco St). We did that a couple of years ago when we did a round trip out of San Francisco. Very easy to just walk over to the ship from the parking garage.

We're using Princess air to fly back to San Francisco (at this late date it was the cheapest we could find). Then we plan on taking SuperShuttle from SFO back to our car at the pier. (Unless someone has a better idea!!)

I called Princess today, and they were able to give me my flight info (leaves YVR at 5:53pm, arrives SFO at 8:09pm). I think the Princess xfers are $18pp, so it sounds like a cab to the airport may be cheaper for two of us?

We haven't done a cruise this last minute - or this short - before. Sounds like fun!

Join the roll call!

We just booked this on Saturday - there's a roll call for it on the roll call board!

We're going to park across the street from the pier (I think it's 55 Francisco St). We did that a couple of years ago when we did a round trip out of San Francisco. Very easy to just walk over to the ship from the parking garage.

We're using Princess air to fly back to San Francisco (at this late date it was the cheapest we could find). Then we plan on taking SuperShuttle from SFO back to our car at the pier. (Unless someone has a better idea!!)

I called Princess today, and they were able to give me my flight info (leaves YVR at 5:53pm, arrives SFO at 8:09pm). I think the Princess xfers are $18pp, so it sounds like a cab to the airport may be cheaper for two of us?

We haven't done a cruise this last minute - or this short - before. Sounds like fun!

Join the roll call!

You are taking the cab from the airport back to the pier, right? Our cab driver ( 2 weeks ago ) told us the metered fare will usually be about $37.00. Ours turned out to be $38+change as there was a lot of weekday morning traffic. A cab will only be cheaper if you share the cab with another couple. Super Shuttle is $15pp.

mississauga-

Our plan is to take the SuperShuttle from the airport back to the pier... it sounds like that's a cheaper plan anyway. There's just the two of us..

Just another thought! Have you considered parking at the airport and taking the super shuttle TO the pier? That way your car would be right there at the airport waiting when you fly in in the evening. We got this offer too and wish we could do it. We've been on the Princess standby list for ages and this is the first time we've ever been offered a last minute cruise! Unfortunately, it just won't work for us this time. Hope they don't take us off the list!! Have a great time!!

Just another thought! Have you considered parking at the airport and taking the super shuttle TO the pier? That way your car would be right there at the airport waiting when you fly in in the evening. We got this offer too and wish we could do it. We've been on the Princess standby list for ages and this is the first time we've ever been offered a last minute cruise! Unfortunately, it just won't work for us this time. Hope they don't take us off the list!! Have a great time!!

After thinking about it, you're right. We'd rather have our car waiting for us at the airport when we land. So, it looks like we will park at SFO, then take the shuttle to the pier.

So many details for 2 nights!!

What time do you think you'd be heading to the pier from the airport? We're leaving our car there, probably around 10 or 11. I was thinking of bus/Bart, but now thinking about supershuttle. If there are 4 of us, and we're going at the same time, it might be cheaper to all share a cab?

Just a thought,

abby

What time do you think you'd be heading to the pier from the airport? We're leaving our car there, probably around 10 or 11. I was thinking of bus/Bart, but now thinking about supershuttle. If there are 4 of us, and we're going at the same time, it might be cheaper to all share a cab?

Just a thought,

abby

Abby - Not a bad idea. Our plan is to get to the airport around 1030-11. We'd like to leave the airport for the pier around 11am (get as much ship time as possible!). I don't think luggage will be a big issue. Any idea how much a cab ride is? It looks like fares range from $37 -$44, according to a couple of websites. I think Supershuttle is $15 for the for the first person, then $8 for additional passengers in a group, which would make it $39 for 4 people. We'll have to do some more research. I like the idea of sharing a ride!

Archived