First HAL Cruise - Which Cat on Veendam

Host Anne

We've always wanted to try HAL and have just booked our first cruise with them next March on Veendam. We are currently booked in Cabin BA220 aft on the Verandah Deck. The Cat A cabins on the Navigators Deck above is $150 less per person.

For those familiar with the ship and decks, do you think we should hang on to BA220 or consider a switch to a Cat A?

Thanks for your advice. We are looking forward to cruising on HAL very much!

I'm checking the deck plans, and can't figure a reason not to switch.

The "A" cabins are a bit further forward---thereby saving a few steps. The aft pool is right there!

And it's $150 cheaper?

All those cabins are the same size, as are the verandas.

Welcome to HAL. You're gonna luv it!

Ruth ~ thanks so much for the response. BA220 is the very last cabin on the corner of the Verandah deck. The verandah on this on this cabin is about twice the size of the other cabins in this category. So that's where my question comes in. :) I am certain we will love the ship and HAL experience! Glad it is finally working out to try HAL.

Thanks again!

That's a tough choice! The longer balcony might be nice - it's completely sectioned off from the public deck space at the aft end of the Verandah deck if I remember correctly. Either one would be great!

We've always wanted to try HAL and have just booked our first cruise with them next March on Veendam. We are currently booked in Cabin BA220 aft on the Verandah Deck. The Cat A cabins on the Navigators Deck above is $150 less per person.

For those familiar with the ship and decks, do you think we should hang on to BA220 or consider a switch to a Cat A?

Thanks for your advice. We are looking forward to cruising on HAL very much!

We occupied 218, next door, and don't recall any problem(s) with the location. The only difference between the cat's is apparently BA220's larger balcony.

If that's worth the $150 p/p to you, keep it.

An advantage to moving upstairs is proximity to Neptune's Lounge. You could sneak in there and steal some of the goodies!:D

BTW - the "Verandah Suites", aka "Minisuites" are very nice. They're roomy and well appointed. There was adequate storage and maneuvering space for the two of us and a 9YO grandson.

The verandah on this on this cabin is about twice the size of the other cabins in this category.

O.K., I see that now---daylight sure helps the ol' eyesight.

Tough decision, but I'd still go with the (slightly) more mid-ship, and cheaper:D , location.

I would go for the A cabin and save the $300 for more spending on the ship.

If you have a port intensive cruise or you are cruising in a cool climate you may not use the larger balcony. I looked at the plan and though the balcony is large, the cabin seems to be a bit smaller.

It is unusual to have an A verandah cheaper than a BA. We are also sailing on the Veendam in a B, midships which we prefer and that is more expensive than a BA, BB and BC. I have an interesting publication here which states that if you are booking a verandah, take a B over an A as you are only paying more for one deck higher. In your case it is the reverse and the A is cheaper than the B.

Could they have made a mistake in the pricing?

Jennie

Hello everyone ~ thanks so very much for all the great advice. I had my agent double check...not error in pricing. Just strange. Can't always figure them out.

We actually prefer aft cabins in general to mid-ship. I probably should have mentioned that earlier. We have some time to switch so we'll keep discussing it.

I sincerely appreciate all the input.

stevesan ~ we wouldn't sneak into the Neptune lounge. This is our very first cruise with HAL (not that we'd do it even if it weren't our first cruise). We do our best to set good examples for our daughter :) .

I'm an aft balcony person when I can afford it. If the aft balconies are all booked, or too expensive, I'll take an OV. The midships balconies make me feel claustrophobic, like I'm sitting in an airplane seat and can't stretch out my legs.

Archived