San Diego Hotel Choice????

Indy Cruiser

We are doing the March 07 Panama Canal (Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego) onboard Mercury, and plan a one or two night stayover to sightsee in San Diego. Any suggestions on where to stay? Thanks for your help!!!!

Indy Cruiser

US Grant Hotel........it's in Downtown SD, and walking distance to the gaslamp quarter. Close to the ship (not close enough to haul your luggage, but close for a cheap cab ride). Nice Hotel too......Have fun :) here's a link - http://www.usgrant.net/ I just realized they are closed until fall for renovation, so you may have to try the Hyatt. It's also close to the pier, gaslamp & Seaport Village.........you can't go wrong here either.

We are doing the March 07 Panama Canal (Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego) onboard Mercury, and plan a one or two night stayover to sightsee in San Diego. Any suggestions on where to stay? Thanks for your help!!!!

Indy,

It really depends on what you're looking for...

San Diego may have the most and the widest range of hotels of any city in America...

From the Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe to the Motel 6...

Do you prefer a major chain? An historical landmark? Close to the pier? or the heart of Downtown? Or an upscale suburb? A beach resort? Near restaurants? Near shopping?

Looking to stick to a tight budget? Or willing to pay typical 5 star rates?

Will you have a rental car? Or relying on public transportation/cabs?

With two nights and just off a cruise, I would recommend staying in the Gaslamp District... a short cab ride from the pier, right in the heart of the nightlife and restaurant area...All transportation systems run nearby, including the hop-on-hop-off trolley tours...

Westin Horton Plaza, US Grant, Horton Grand, Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, Sheraton Suites,...there's even a Comfort Inn in the area...Restaurants and night spots all over and there's the Horton Plaza shopping Mall...

Or you could stay not that far from there, on the water at the Embassy Suites, Manchester Grand Hyatt or San Diego Marriot--all near the Seaport Village complex...

The largest collection of mid-range to inexpensive hotels is in the Hotel Circle/Mission Valley area...

For more interesting sites, but fairly remote, you can go up to La Jolla (an upscale beachside suburb) or to Coronado--the island (really a penninsula) reached by bridge across the bay...where you'll find the historic Hotel del Coronado...

Don't stay south or east...

Good luck...

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay which was right opposite the cruise ship terminal and it was very comfortable and well priced. Seeing as you are arriving rather than departing, you won't need the added bonus of seeing the ship as she docks, but it's handy for when you get off! They do have a free shuttle to the zoo and this was useful. There are also some nice eateries close by.

I do hope to return to San Diego. I thought it a lovely city and definitely worth a couple of extra days at least. Lots to see and do.

Phil

stayed at the Marriott Coronado Island. It was great. To get there you have to go over the bridge, but once you're there, there are a couple of very reasonable (read...cheap) options. Marriott's own water taxi or the much larger water taxi for all on the island. There's a lovely paved walkway all along the water, a couple of very good restaurants, and if you want to go to the Gaslamp district, very short boat ride and about a 5 minute walk. We actually wheeled our luggage along the promenade to the larger ferry dock the morning of our departure. The ferry docked right next to our ship....literally.

We were at the Hyatt for a conference, very handy for the conference center, but I'd stay at the Marriott or the Omni if we ever go back, looking at hotels in that price range. There is also the Hotel del Coronado if you want something special, but a bit out of the way. Gaslamp area is a fvery good suggestion.

Indy Cruiser

We did the Mexican Riveria last year and stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street and it was great. As a matter of fact we stayed both before and after. Its great when you get off the ship because with a nice tip the porter will take your bags over there and there is no need to get a cab.

Have a great trip

I would agree with Bruin Steve. I visit SD quite a lot living only a short 50 min. flight away and in fact was just there this past weekend. Holiday Inn at the Bay is the closest to the ship. Walking distance to the Midway carrier, (an excellent tour) and Seaport Village. The trolley (train) just a short 2 block walk. Take the trolley to the Gaslamp district for nightlife , food and fun. Though you'll probably read or be told to eat your seafood dinner at Anthony's Fish Grotto across the street from the Holiday Inn (and next to the cruise terminal), don't waste your time. They must stuff the ballot boxes themselves to be voted the best San Diego fish restaurant. All fried and greasy food. Gaslamp Quarter has quite a few other choices and it's only a trolley or $10 cab ride away.

For sightseeing, the Seaport Village, Gaslamp, Midway, Zoo, Sea World and Coronado Hotel are your best bets. Have fun.

I have to vote for the Holiday Inn as well. We live in San Diego and still stayed there the night before our Mexican Cruise. (we love to watch the ship come into port) It is relatively inexpensive for downtown, has great access from the port (literally across the street) and has been kept up quite nicely for a hotel of its age. The concierge will be happy to help you with getting around town and dinner suggestions (almost anyplace in the Gaslamp is worth the short cab ride from the hotel)

We will be staying in SD from Jan 8 to Jan 16 after out Christmas / New year cruise on Mercury I like the sound of the Holiday Inn on the Bay but there have been some favourable reviews about the Best Western Bayside on Ash Street and the price seems ok – but before we book either - does any one on have first hand knowledge on the hotel and its location, from what I read it is not too far from the Trolley and Gas Lamp District etc .

regards Alan Berkhamsted UK

We stayed at this hotel twice. It's actually closer to the gaslamp area than the Holiday Inn by about a 5 minute walk. I think if you stood on the sidewalk in front of the Best Western and looked down Ash Street you could SEE the Holiday Inn. Haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn so I can't make a comparison, but the BW was nice...they provided a free shuttle from the ship to the hotel (all you have to do is call them) and we had a package that included breakfast. Hope this helps.

We just stayed at The Westgate. It was lovely, and at the corner block of Gaslamp. Would stay there again in a second, but it is a bit more formal than one might expect and may not be to your liking. They will pick you up from the airport to the hotel and take you to the pier to the ship, all at no cost, we did tip the drivers though. I believe they will provide car service to other locations as well as part of their service.

Best thing I can recommend is to take the Old Town Trolley for the day and see as much a you can. The waterfront is easy by foot for another day. Sunday Brunch at the Del is beyond imagination, the Trolley will stop there and you can brunch and then pick up the Trolley for the rest of the tour. Brunch will run you $60 per, but King Crab Legs and Oysters and Shrimp and Sushi, maybe the best Sushi we've had, plus everything else and then the desserts, oh my you just can't beleive it....

Can you tell we liked it???

Footnote for the US Grant, a few weeks ago it was under renvoation and closed...so check to see about timing.

Holiday Inn on the Bay folks -

Advice requested. There are three types of rooms, standard with balcony, city view and bay view. My question relates to the standard room - what is the "view" and are these the rooms where you hear the trains? If anyone knows, please share with me. We need to make this hotel stay as economical as possible, but if paying $15 more per night (2) will really make a difference we can spring for it.

Thank you.

Indy Cruiser

My Hubby and I like the Holiday Inn directly across the street from the port. You can walk there and back with no hassel. the other hotel is the Wyndam. Both cost us about $ 149.00 for a nice room with a great view.

We did the same trip about 4 years ago on the sme ship. It was great. Have fun.

Nancie

A query for History136 please, Thank you for your views on the Best Western Bayside. Can you kindly answer my last few queries?

I see they offer a complimentary Continental Breakfast. As we will have over-eaten on the Mercury for two weeks we think a complimentary Continental breakfast will be easier on our waistline and quicker so we have more time to sightsee.

Can you tell me what food was on offer for the included breakfast – in Europe as you probably know this could include bread, croissants, and probably cold meat and cheese. But some years ago while touring in America it consisted of coffee, doughnuts and muffins

Does the BW Bayside have an in-room safe or Safety Deposit boxes for guests?. We will be staying for 8 nights and will have passports, spare cash and odd bits of jewellery. Not all that valuable but we don’t want to carry them about.

Is there a refrigerator in the bed rooms

Isn’t this board great there is a lot of knowledge and helpful people out there thanks

Regards Alan Berkhamsted UK ancre15@hotmail.com

US Grant Hotel........it's in Downtown SD, and walking distance to the gaslamp quarter. Close to the ship (not close enough to haul your luggage, but close for a cheap cab ride). Nice Hotel too......Have fun :) here's a link - http://www.usgrant.net/ I just realized they are closed until fall for renovation.

A couple of years ago, American Airlines put me up there for a night after I allowed myself to bumped from my flight (am extra night in San Diego - what a hardship:D). It was a great hotel then. Beautiful rooms, good staff, well kept up, lots of visible history which I loved. I can't wait to see it after the renovations are completed. Isn't it now part of the Starwood chain?

The difference between the rooms are significant at the Holiday Inn. Standard with balcony faces into the pool area and does not have significant views otherwise. The City View rooms are nice, but you may have issues with the trains (especially if you leave your balcony doors open, as we do) The best bet for the money is the bay view balconys. The all have great views of the bay and if you are booking pre-cruise, you are pratically nose to nose with the ship. (it's nice to get up early enough to see the ships pull into port while enjoying a cup of coffee). The distance to the gaslamp is actually about the same, however the BW is closer to little italy, which has some nice resturants as well. (still within easy walking distance from either hotel)

For the night before our 1/2/2006 cruise on Mercury, we stayed at the Sheraton Suites hotel. It actually was a very very nice hotel with a fairly large room with a separate bedroom. Cheap from the airport in a taxi, and also very reasonable from the hotel to the port.

We like Sheraton because of the very comfortable beds.

What great info you all provided. Wish I had asked this question before my trip! Anyway, we just got back from San Diego where we took a Celebrity cruise to the western Mexican rivieria. We stayed at the Quality Inn located at 7th Ave & Ash. The complimentary shuttle will pick you up at the airport, take you to the hotel, cruise terminal, zoo, etc. Very accommodating. A free breakfast was also included, nice rooms, and about 10-12 blocks from the cruise terminal--a nice walk (without luggage, of course!) Rate was only about $90 plus tax.

There was a convention in San Diego when we were there in February and hotel rooms were limited. We ended up picking the Ramada Gaslamp. Don't make this same mistake. It a great location but the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. In 2004 we stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt which is a beautiful hotel right next to Seaport Village. We paid $75.00 for a room with a beautiful view of the bay by bidding on Priceline. This room normally went for over $400.00.

Good luck.

Archived