kosher cruises

nadge

I already asked this on the "ask a question" forum, but I know there are kosher cruises on Celebrity. So,.........Has anyone out there been on a kosher cruise? Would you recommend?

Hi,:) a full Kosher cruise? I know they have services for those

who keep Kosher but I doubt the "cruise itself" is Kosher. I think

that would come under "Special Dietary Needs".

Actually, if you pop over to the "Floataway Lounge" there is a very

large thread of Jewish cruisers and I think some of them might

have the answers you might need.

I didn't mean a full kosher cruise. Part of the kitchens are taken over and "koshered" so there is separate kosher dining prepared on board (not airline meals.)

Yes I believe one of the orgainzaitons is call KosherAmerica .. I was on the Millenium when they had a group of around 200 people .. and served them strictly Glatt meals .. they brought their own dishes, cutlery etc and chefs and bakers ...

hope this helps

wolf

Yes I believe one of the orgainzaitons is call KosherAmerica .. I was on the Millenium when they had a group of around 200 people .. and served them strictly Glatt meals .. they brought their own dishes, cutlery etc and chefs and bakers ...

hope this helps

wolf

But was it any good? Was the food "gourmet" ?

Well I did not hear any complaints !!! and from what I could see the meals were very nice .. But then again I dont know how you classify 'Gourmet' or 'Glatt Gourmet' but Im sure that they dont use Schmaltz anymore !

wolf

Was on Infinity this past January. There was a group of about three hundred people requiring kosher food. Ship set aside one section of dining room and, it seemed, they provided some very nice food. Think it was KosherAmerica. Hope this info helps you in some way.

I already asked this on the "ask a question" forum, but I know there are kosher cruises on Celebrity. So,.........Has anyone out there been on a kosher cruise? Would you recommend?

What do you consider kosher food. And how do food become kosher food. I'd like to learn

We were on a Post Thanksgving Cruise 2 years ago that corresponded with Chaukah. There were religious service daily and from what I could tell there were special Kosher Meals Prepared. I say this as there were markings on certain elevators that they were kosher elevators for dairy use ... etc.

What do you consider kosher food. And how do food become kosher food. I'd like to learn

Hi Wally:) the literal translation of Kosher=Clean

It is how an animal is killed to begin with.....and the rest of it

is how the food is actually prepared and the dietary laws of the

Bible (Old Testament). If you are really interested in learning,

I would go see a local Rabbi or you could always google the information.

Keeping Kosher fully can be sort of complicated to explain.

Examples...you cannot eat meat and dairy together...and it needs

to be prepared separately as well.

It is more than "just food" but since that what the topic is about

figured that is what you were asking.

Nice summary, Lois.

Of course, like most Religions, Judaism has varying degrees of strictness which are subject to interpretation depending on the individual's beliefs, background, religious education, and the Congregational Standards of the Community to which they belong. Those variances can be surprisingly wide, Sauce for the Goose not necessarily being the Sauce for the Gander...:)

Here is a link to a site which will give more detailed information as to Kashrut Standards for anyone who is interested in specifics:

http://www.oukosher.org/

and another detailed resource:

http://www.kosher.co.il/Default.aspx?lang=en

The Orthodox Union is considered Authoritative by most American Jews although again, there are those who feel that some of their positions are not either correct or binding.

A strictly Kosher cruise would require consistant Rabbinic Supervision/Certification of all stages of the process: from supply of raw materials to the service of the meal and even the table settings used. It can be a demanding process. To some extent, the more guests involved on the Cruise, the easier it becomes up to a point: I would suspect if only a few were involved, then Airline-type meals might well be the result: don't forget that more than the food has to be Kosher, the meal has to be planned and served in a manner consistant with Jewish Law ( Halacha).

Hope that's of some use.

Nice summary, Lois.

Of course, like most Religions, Judaism has varying degrees of strictness which are subject to interpretation depending on the individual's beliefs, background, religious education, and the Congregational Standards of the Community to which they belong. Those variances can be surprisingly wide, Sauce for the Goose not necessarily being the Sauce for the Gander...:)

Here is a link to a site which will give more detailed information as to Kashrut Standards for anyone who is interested in specifics:

http://www.oukosher.org/

and another detailed resource:

http://www.kosher.co.il/Default.aspx?lang=en

The Orthodox Union is considered Authoritative by most American Jews although again, there are those who feel that some of their positions are not either correct or binding.

A strictly Kosher cruise would require consistant Rabbinic Supervision/Certification of all stages of the process: from supply of raw materials to the service of the meal and even the table settings used. It can be a demanding process. To some extent, the more guests involved on the Cruise, the easier it becomes up to a point: I would suspect if only a few were involved, then Airline-type meals might well be the result: don't forget that more than the food has to be Kosher, the meal has to be planned and served in a manner consistant with Jewish Law ( Halacha).

Hope that's of some use.

Just got an email today - I believe Infinity is having one run by one of the organizations mentioned above

I just googled 'Kosher Cruise to Alaska' - you'd be amazed at the number of Kosher trips that came up including one from last year on the Infinity. Lots of choices for those who are interested (including a Kosher Safari).

Hi Wally:) the literal translation of Kosher=Clean

It is how an animal is killed to begin with.....and the rest of it

is how the food is actually prepared and the dietary laws of the

Bible (Old Testament). If you are really interested in learning,

I would go see a local Rabbi or you could always google the information.

Keeping Kosher fully can be sort of complicated to explain.

Examples...you cannot eat meat and dairy together...and it needs

to be prepared separately as well.

It is more than "just food" but since that what the topic is about

figured that is what you were asking.

Ok I now think I know. My question is this. Why and does it make a difference? Or did someone say this is how it will be. So I can't eat a hamberger with a with cheese( Cheeseberger) and a glass or milk?

If so who came up with the rules and why

Ok I now think I know. My question is this. Why and does it make a difference? Or did someone say this is how it will be. So I can't eat a hamberger with a with cheese( Cheeseberger) and a glass or milk?

If so who came up with the rules and why

Hi Wally, you got it...if you "keep kosher" then no cheeseburgers

and no milk if you are having a regular burger.

As I said, "Keeping a Kosher Home" is more than just food but that

is what we will stick with since food is the topic.

And who came up with those rules? Hmmmm.....well,

they have been in place for more than 2,000 years now. (For those

who follow them).

It is usually the Orthodox who live by them. It makes a difference

for those who follow those rules yes.

Who came up with them? Basically, "God" but I will defer

the "whys" to Rabbis and others who know much more than

I could ever know.

Archived