New York In October

HMSDingy

DW and I are booked on the Crown Princess sailing October 9th out of New York. We'll be back into New York on a Wednesday. Never been or even stayed in New York. Does anybody have any suggestions for AFFORDABLE hotels in New York? Would it be cheaper to stay in New Jersey?:confused:

You might try this thread if you're interested in staying in Manhattan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=339611. Since you're sailing on Princess, you'll be sailing from the new terminal in Brooklyn, and I wouldn't recommend staying in New Jersey - it's not convenient at all. I'm not familiar with Brooklyn hotels except the Brooklyn Marriott (which is a good hotel). Fall is a pretty busy season for hotels in NYC. Hope this helps!

Does anybody have any suggestions for AFFORDABLE hotels in New York?

Affordable is a relative term, especially in NYC. If $125 or so for a double room works for you, then yes, it's possible to find that in Manhattan. Try the Hotel Mayfair on West 49th, directly across the street from St. Malachy's (the Catholic Actors' Chapel), where Joan Crawford married Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in 1921, or the completely renovated Econolodge on West 47th (the former Hotel Sherman, a dreadful place--if the walls could talk, they'd be testifying on "Law & Order.") Both are right in the middle of the theatre district, and perfectly safe. Check out TripAdvisor for reviews and other possibilities in the neighborhood.

DW and I are booked on the Crown Princess sailing October 9th out of New York. We'll be back into New York on a Wednesday. Never been or even stayed in New York. Does anybody have any suggestions for AFFORDABLE hotels in New York? Would it be cheaper to stay in New Jersey?:confused:

September through New Years is peak season and October will be very expensive. Even the Jersey City hotels will be pricey.

My advice is if you want to see Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. The extra money and time for the commute can be frustrating for a first time visitor.

The Applecore Hotels Group has the most reasonably priced hotels in Manhattan.

http://www.applecorehotels.com/

The following hotel group also has some reasonably priced hotels.

http://www.newyorkhotel.com/

Lastly, I stayed at the Milford Plaza in February (it was a priceline room) and it was perfectly acceptable. Small room, one queen bed, small bathroom for $100 a night.

One caveat, Manhattan hotel rooms are notoriously small and standard rooms will only have one bed. If you need two beds, chances are the standard room rate will not apply and you'll have to upgrade.

Affordable is relative in Manhattan. Plan on spending $175-$200 per night for a moderate hotel room in October.

I have stayed at the New Yorker Hotel which is located at the rear of Madison Square Garden & Penn Station. Its spic & span and I had 2 double beds and 2 full baths, and couch so the room was huge for $125 in September last year. The Tick Tock Diner is attached and the food was outstanding now when ever I go into the city I go there for breakfast or lunch can't beat it.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to be on the Legend in Oct too,I was looking at Hotels. I found a few inexpensive ones in Secaucus, NJ and in Jersey City. What kind of area are these towns? Are they safe? It looks to me like we can take a ferry to Ells Island from New Jersey. We only have half a day (the day before we sail)l so we dont have time to do a lot of sightseeing. Does this sound likie something that I want to look into? The difference in price is lot compared to Manhatten.

Thanks.

I don't believe Secaucus has easy transportation into the City, although there might be a bus line; check New Jersey Transit.

Jersey City, I'd need to know where the hotels are. Jersey City is not nice, although there is a section on the river called Newport that is, and that has a PATH train station that'll take you into the City easily (and is right next to the Holland tunnel, although I assume you're not driving). If I wasn't familiar with the section of town the hotel was in, I wouldn't even consider risking it, no offense to anyone who lives there and might have different advice.

• 4 weeks later...

We leave on the Spirit on Oct 8th., we get to NYC on the 6th. we booked in Newark by the Liberty Int'l airport at the Sheraton Newark $99.95 per night, i believe NJtransit has good connections to Manhattan, a friend told me that the subway stops by GROUND ZERO on the way to PENN Station, for your info...

Last year myself and 5 other ladies stayed at the Travel Inn and it was very affordable. It is on West 42nd St across the street from a police station. We were just a few long blocks to Time Square. People were concerned with the area but it was perfectly safe and rooms were large (by NYC standards) and clean. They even had a pool and free parking which is unbelieveable for NYC! I would recommend it or it's sister hotel, the Belvedere (that spelling maybe slightly off). Enjoy your cruise.

Do NOT stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania. This place is rundown.

Many towns in New Jersey are served by bus which goes directly to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on W 42 Street in Times Square. From the Times Square area you can get a Greyline Bus Tour, try the Red Double Decker busses, they are fun. This is the best way of seeing Manhattan if you only have one day. I would not recommend staying in the city of Newark.

The one thing about hotel rates in NYC and most large cities is that the rates are lower on the weekends than during the week, because during the week there are many business travelers. If you stay at a hotel that caters to business such as a Hilton you might get a good rate on the weekend. Check the major chains websites directly and see if you can find any internet only deals.

We leave on the Spirit on Oct 8th., we get to NYC on the 6th. we booked in Newark by the Liberty Int'l airport at the Sheraton Newark $99.95 per night, i believe NJtransit has good connections to Manhattan, a friend told me that the subway stops by GROUND ZERO on the way to PENN Station, for your info...

NJTransit and the MTA are two different entities and don't share the same lines.

Archived