OK.. .need some suggestions

Perseids

Then call the two companies I listed, see if they can get you to Seward. In fact, I just looked at the two dogs website-they have the EXACT tour you want. Then book one of the Kenai Fjords/RR tours and you are set. Enjoy!!!

http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/seward.html

Just got off the phone with Renee @ PJ's (who is glacierlady btw) and she says it is doable IF I do not set my luggage in the hallway the nite before. She advises that once the ship docks and the 'gangplank' is down that I can leave the boat basically anytime I want. I have never heard of this and would think that Carnival might take issue with that statement.

Anyone know if this is acceptable?

Are you interested at all in taking one of the day cruises from Whittier? There are some very nice offerings which would easily work into your schedule. You can make it to the Alaska Railroad depot in time to depart for and arrive in Anchorage the same evening you disembark the cruise ship following the day tour. This would allow you a small boat tour of a beautiful area, a 2+ hour ride on the AKRR, and still have the next day for visiting points of interest near Anchorage via rental car.

Good luck whatever you decide. I better start worrying about my own trip! We leave early-thirty tomorrow for the airport.:)

Just got off the phone with Renee @ PJ's (who is glacierlady btw) and she says it is doable IF I do not set my luggage in the hallway the nite before. She advises that once the ship docks and the 'gangplank' is down that I can leave the boat basically anytime I want. I have never heard of this and would think that Carnival might take issue with that statement.

If you're staying overnight in Seward, you don't have to rush to be there in time for the 11:00 a.m. cruise. There's another one from 3-9 p.m.

Yes, I have seen many 'package' deals containing transportation... I am/have been assured that you can catch the AK RR after the Kenai Fjords tours...

Sigh... Now it looks like the dilemma may be whether I can get from Whittier to Seward in time for an 11am or 11:30 Kenai Fjord NP tour.

Our ship, Carnival Spirit, arrives Whittier 7am I figure best case scenario we will be off the boat 8:30 or 9am... it is looking like a crap shoot... :(

This is killing me!!! If I book the KFNP tour and we don't make it... there is $800 shot to H#$@....

OK, I HAVE done this and am telling you. You can easily get to Seward from Whittier as I have already suggested by renting a one way Whittier Anchorage car with either Avis or Harleys. SO first thing you NOW need to do, is to see if there is ANY availablity. http://www.harleysrentalaska.com/

Consider the 11:30am Kenai Fjords tour, OR an afternoon tour, JUST BE CERTAIN you have at least 6 hours on the water. Overnight in Seward. Then next day- do some touring on your way back to Anchorage.

IF You do NOT want to rent a car - expect it to be costly, it is the best option!!!! You can also arrange a pick up in Whittier to Seward, with Kenai Fjords boat tours, they do get you back in time for the train- of course nothing is 100% but they are darn close.

SO you CAN do Kenai Fjords, which is the top tour choice in my opinion in your short time.

This is absolutely CORRECT. You just walk off the ship in Whittier, you have already cleared customs in Vancouver, NONE in Alaska.

BUT it is NO advantage other than time collecting, to haul off your own bags. They will be lined up ready for your pick up on the dock. So few people are independent on Alaska cruises that there is only a small number of bags.

Hi,

If you want to spend some time in Whittier and take a train rather than the ship transfer, what do you do with your luggage until the train leaves?

Gale

The boat tour operators will store you bags. This really isn't a port, to just "hang" around. Some really great tours to be had in my opinion. :)

Yes, I have a cpl scenarios worked out... I appreciate and thank ALL posters comments and suggestions!

I have come to a realization.. I am dangerously close to over analyzing, over agonizing, and over spending.. it is supposed to be a relaxing vacation afterall.

If we forgo the Carnival xfer and overnite in Seward we add a significant cost. Unfortunately $ is an issue with us. I am still considering Kenai Fjords but it is beginning to loom more in the distance.

One factor is that we are taking a friend of our son's with us and for the time being we are paying his portion of the entire trip(cruise, air, excursions, etc..) We are unsure when he will reimburse us. If I start booking a bunch of excursions that he may or may not wish to incurr the expense.. oh well you can see where I'm going with this...

I'm thinking I need to concentrate on finding something to do out of Anchorage. We will have approx. from 1pm on the 7th til 7pm on the 8th. I am almost sure I will rent a car.

I am sure we will have a great cruise regardless!

Again, Thanks so much!!

This is absolutely CORRECT. You just walk off the ship in Whittier, you have already cleared customs in Vancouver, NONE in Alaska.

BUT it is NO advantage other than time collecting, to haul off your own bags. They will be lined up ready for your pick up on the dock. So few people are independent on Alaska cruises that there is only a small number of bags.

My TA said this was absolutely INCORRECT. She said there is customs to go through @ Whittier. Advises that the ship has been in International waters. She also advises to not put our bags in the hallway bcuz she said that she thought Carnival took them directly from the ship to the airport and possibly checked them for flights.

Does anyone have a sharp stick with which I may begin jabbing @ my eye?

I am beginning to feel like a piece of taffy, being pulled in diff directions.

Obviously I will ask onboard abt the luggage thing.. not a big deal.

My TA said this was absolutely INCORRECT. She said there is customs to go through @ Whittier. Advises that the ship has been in International waters. She also advises to not put our bags in the hallway bcuz she said that she thought Carnival took them directly from the ship to the airport and possibly checked them for flights.

Does anyone have a sharp stick with which I may begin jabbing @ my eye?

I am beginning to feel like a piece of taffy, being pulled in diff directions.

Obviously I will ask onboard abt the luggage thing.. not a big deal.

Sorry, your agent doesn't know SQUAT about cruising Alaska, AS I have already posted, you clear US customs in Vancouver on NORTHBOUND sailings and you just WALK OFF THE SHIP IN ALASKA. Ask your agent how many times they have sailed here INDEPENDENT???? Cruisetour and cruise tranfer people will be lined up like dominoes, independent just walk on by. :) No questions, no agents, just cruise staff waving bye bye.

You clear the US customs in Vancouver because, your ONLY disembarkments , once you get on your ship is the US.

Sorry, your agent doesn't know SQUAT about cruising Alaska, AS I have already posted, you clear US customs in Vancouver on NORTHBOUND sailings and you just WALK OFF THE SHIP IN ALASKA. Ask your agent how many times they have sailed here INDEPENDENT???? Cruisetour and cruise tranfer people will be lined up like dominoes, independent just walk on by. :) No questions, no agents, just cruise staff waving bye bye.

You clear the US customs in Vancouver because, your ONLY disembarkments , once you get on your ship is the US.

I believe you.. just stating what I was told :)

FYI Carnival says "Yes, you go through US customs in Whittier". I guess I will find out definitively in a cpl weeks... hehehe

With the plans we have made now it is not really of consequence, I was just curious....

Budget Queen is absolutely correct. Common sense would tell you that if there were anywhere to go through customs, it would be when you disembark from your first port stop in Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau, etc.) rather than wait all the way to Whittier of all places to check your citizenship!

Unless things have radically changed since last weekend when we were there, Whittier barely has a facility to handle customs, let alone luggage. When we worked as naturalists on Royal Caribbean last summer, we were given color-coded luggage tags for disembarkment. These tags were based on what you were doing, i.e. immediate transfer to the airport, city tour then airport, etc. Since we were independents, we did leave our luggage outside our room and then collected it in the morning in the area with our designated color for independent travelers. Very easy and efficient.

As far as transfers to Anchorage, transportation in Whittier is right off the ship as you disembark. This is a very small town (year-round population of 180) and the cruise ship will be the largest thing around other than the Begich Towers apartment complex.

As far as the Seward cruise, if making connections concerns you, I highly recommend the excellent tours out of Whittier into Prince William Sound. Three companies run these including 26 Glaciers, Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours, and Major Marine and you will see more glaciers than the Kenai Fjord trips allow (my wife even saw a couple of humpback whales last week in Prince William Sound). These outfits all provide bus or rail transfers (extra cost) back to Anchorage as a extra cost as well; you can even store your luggage in the company office until you return from your cruise.

You could then check into your Anchorage hotel, enjoy the next day taking it easy (perhaps a city tour, a visit to the Alaska Native Heritage Center, a nice meal, or some souvenir shopping) before heading to the airport for your evening flight.

Seward and Kenai Fjords is also an outstanding trip (more focus on wildlife and birds) but, given your concerns regarding time constraints, I'd highly recommend taking the cruise out of Whittier and then spend the night in Anchorage with your original reservation. For what it is worth, Whittier cruises are also less prone to weather cancellations and the protected waters of the sound are much calmer. You can always come back and do Kenai Fjords on a future visit.

Check out their websites at http://www.26glaciers.com, http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com, or http://www.majormarine.com

Enjoy your visit. Weather has been beautiful up here (but as we know, that can change).

Thanks for all comments!

We have decided to take Carnival xfers to Anchorage, reserved a car at Anc. and we will check into hotel and do whatever that evening. The next day is kinda wide open. If we are not worn out or tapped out we may drive to Seward and do Kenai Fjords or something else. Or we may just stay local to Anchorage for the day. I have decided to stop obsessing over it.. heheh kinda gonna play it by ear.

And, i agree I did not feel that US Customs was necessary in Whittier. I think it is odd that Carnival's PVP's don't know the process....

I have been reading everyone's good advice for the OP as we are spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Anchorage July 7 & 8. I have a few questions for the enlightened. If we are going to College Fjord and Glacier Bay on the cruise, do we really need to take a Kenai Fjords tour from Seward or Whittier? What else might you recommend? I plan on renting a car in Anchorage on the 8th and busing in to Seward on the morning of the 9th. Cruise leaves at 8pm and we're open to suggestions for our two days. We looking for sightseeing activities or experiences as opposed to museums in Anchorage, etc. We have a great aquarium in Monterey Bay so not sure if the Sealife Center would be the place for us either. Also we're planning on doing the helicopter glacier landing in Juneau so not sure if we could be over-glacierd? Ha ha! My wife and I will be with our 75 & 80 year old moms who walk well normally and our 6 year old son. Thanks for your input.

I have been reading everyone's good advice for the OP as we are spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Anchorage July 7 & 8. I have a few questions for the enlightened. If we are going to College Fjord and Glacier Bay on the cruise, do we really need to take a Kenai Fjords tour from Seward or Whittier? What else might you recommend? I plan on renting a car in Anchorage on the 8th and busing in to Seward on the morning of the 9th. Cruise leaves at 8pm and we're open to suggestions for our two days. We looking for sightseeing activities or experiences as opposed to museums in Anchorage, etc. We have a great aquarium in Monterey Bay so not sure if the Sealife Center would be the place for us either. Also we're planning on doing the helicopter glacier landing in Juneau so not sure if we could be over-glacierd? Ha ha! My wife and I will be with our 75 & 80 year old moms who walk well normally and our 6 year old son. Thanks for your input.

Frankly- there is no comparism to Kenai Fjords and anything you will see from your ship. Completely different. This is your opportunity for varied wildlife- again, you won't be seeing this from your ship in any area. Close up glacier viewing, far closer than your cruise ship. But you would need an early am arrival, and I suggest the Alaska RR from Anchorage.

If you care to- here is a photo sample of a Kenai Fjords trip I took last year. These are all from a single trip.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

There is plenty to see and do in Seward- http://www.sewardak.org take a look at their visitor guide and determine what is your interest.

With only 2 days, I would not be spending them in Anchorage. I would head north the first day and perhaps see Talkeetna, and all the attractions along the way. Day tour of Anchorage, Second night Anchorage- then am train to Seward.

Archived