Playa Uvas

rscima

My wife and I recently revisited Uvas on our own excursion on 11/7. We were on the Grand Princess, but did the excursion on our own. Quick 15 minute taxi ride from the cruise pier. We had been to Uvas previously (2005) and enjoyed it so much we were anxious to return. The Uvas website was very easy to use and we made all the arrangements on-line. I must say we weren't dissappointed. Everyone there from Carmen's initial greeting to our snorkel guide and our waiter Raul were fantastic. The food and drinks were fabulous and we had a terrific time. My wife was very pleased with the massage session on the beach as well. We would definately return and would recommend this place highly.

I looked at the ships excursions and then googled them. I don't like the time constraints and we are first time cruisers (My 13yr old son liked the look of the kayaks too). I really want to snorkel! Most people on the boards book off the cruise, so I will probably go that way. I emailed Uvas Beach Club a ? and he got back to me within 15 minutes! Was impressed. We are sailing on Fantasy and will be in Cozumel on the 12/26.. I think we will try for both Uvas and something else... Here is there website.

http://www.playauvas.com/eng/reservations2.asp

I looked at the ships excursions and then googled them. I don't like the time constraints and we are first time cruisers (My 13yr old son liked the look of the kayaks too). I really want to snorkel! Most people on the boards book off the cruise, so I will probably go that way. I emailed Uvas Beach Club a ? and he got back to me within 15 minutes! Was impressed. We are sailing on Fantasy and will be in Cozumel on the 12/26.. I think we will try for both Uvas and something else... Here is there website.

http://www.playauvas.com/eng/reservations2.asp

I have been to Playa Uvas twice and both times we were on a cruise. The first time when I went I was a little worried but as soon as I arrived to Playa Uvas all of my worries went away!! Both times that I have been to Uvas I have booked via their website. If you book it directly w/the ship the price is much higher and you only get a drink vs. booking directly w/Playa Uvas you get a meal and unlimited drinks!!!:D But do whatever you think is best for you.

Jmash-

Glad to read that you had a great time!! Thanks for posting your review!:)

In defense of Playa Uvas (about the glass):

The adjacent beach areas on either side of Uvas are used by local families on Sundays. They don't always pick up after themselves. The staff at Uvas is out bright and early on Monday mornings cleaning the area of debris, and they continue to look for problems (glass, etc.) each day.

If you see glass or anything else that needs attention, please bring it to the attention of the staff. They'll take care of it quickly!

The staff was on the glass issue and I wasn't at all upset. Just wished we hadn't left our water shoes on the ship.:D

We were there last spring for a perfect day. As others have said, Carmen was there to welcome us, we were able to spend the day on one of the canopied 'beds' - total relaxation! My friend had never snorkeled, so he was a bit freaked out by the 'forced march' of the snorkeling right after we arrived (they included us in a ship's tour group, I think - people without day passes that left afterwards) - it was a bit rushed and not much time to actually linger over the fish. That being said, it was good snorkeling and we each went out by ourselves later in the day.

We tipped our snorkeling guide, and he seemed surprised an appreciative. We also left a big tip at the end of the day for the other staff (who pool the tips) as they were all very kind.

We had a beach massage, wonderful and a good price. The drinks flowed with perfect service, not too aggressive but you never had to look for a drink. We loved the lunch, served on our 'bed'. We also enjoyed the freshwater pool. Everything was clean and the grounds were manicured.

Finally, I ended up having perhaps one TOO many margaritas, and left my disposable camera there. Eduardo mailed it back to me in the States and that is the kind of extra service you can expect from Playa Uvas. We are coming to Cozumel to stay at an All Inclusive in January (a little cruise break, for a change!) and I still would like to spend a day at Playa Uvas, even though it will cost more than staying at our AI. It's that cool!

Can't wait to be in Uvas! Only 15 days to go! My husband is so excited about taking the 3-day scuba certification course, and every day, I'll be waiting for him, relaxing in a hammock, drinking Margaritas :D, and reading "The Sigma Protocol" by Robert Ludlum ( I've been saving it for this vacation). Yes!!!

Well, you all did it....I read the WHOLE thread, talked it over with the in laws and we made our reservations today. We are doing the AUV-3...snorkle, food, drink. We can't wait. I think I will have to have one of those beach beds too. They look very comfy. We leave on Carnival's Ecstasy in 337 hours and 48 minutes!!! For the non addicted, that's 15 days! We will be at Playa Uvas on Dec. 13. These last 2 weeks will hopefully fly by....

My family just returned from Cozumel & Grand Cayman. We were on Carnival Inspiration. We were pampered on the cruise. The food was awesome, activities were great. Very impressed with the assistant cruise director- Fillipe. Wow, what energy and so much fun. My kids have been copying his happy dance since we got home.

Our excursion in Cozumel was fantastic. We went to Playa Del Uvas. I went on the website and booked ahead of time. We took a taxi to Uvas. We were treated great. Jorge was our guide, we did glass bottom kayak, and snorkeling. We had a family group of 12. The food was really good. A few in our group got on the beach massages, and they loved it. For the price Uvas far exceeded our expectations. We will definitely go there again.

ello--

Glad to read you had a great time in Playa Uvas!! :)

Town--

I think you will enjoy Playa Uvas as much as I have!!

Stir & art--

I'm leaving in 2 days to Playa del Carmen! Getting married at Playa Uvas this coming Saturday!!! Can't wait!!! :)

We were at Playa Uvas Tues. Nov. 27th. There were four of us. We did the snorkle tour which everyone enjoyed. It was the first time snorkling for 2 of us. We ate lunch and had drinks which were all fantastic. Great service and everyone is so friendly. The downside to our visit is that we ran out of time and did not, have time for massages, which we had really been looking forward to. We plan on visiting again, but next time we will spend the whole day. Just not enough hours when you visit on a cruise to do eveything you want. Thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait until we get to go again!

We will be in Cozumel 1/23 off of the Fascination, I have Isla Passion excursion booked(we were there last year and enjoyed it). But after reading the thread about Playa Uvas this sounds great also. Has anyone been to both and can comment on how they compare? Thanks!

Thanks to everyone's great information. I booked a reservation last night for Playa Uvas and am SOO excited to go. This will be my boyfriend's first cruise and I am so excited for him. I'm sure this will leave a great impression on him. I put one of their pictures as his background on his computer and now his friends are JEALOUS!!

OK, I know this is probably in here somewhere, but I don't have time to re-read, so please forgive me!

I've reserved for the all-inclusive day- do they take credit cards (visa) or should I plan on bringing cash? If cash, is there tax added or is it exactly the price listed on the site? Thanks!

We will be in Cozumel 1/23 off of the Fascination, I have Isla Passion excursion booked(we were there last year and enjoyed it). But after reading the thread about Playa Uvas this sounds great also. Has anyone been to both and can comment on how they compare? Thanks!

Instead of leaving you hanging waiting for an answer...

I've not been to Passion Island, BUT from what I read and hear, there is no real way for comparison...apples to oranges! :)

You know Passion Island is gorgeous from your own experience, so you also know that Passion Island is far from the port, has no shore snorkeling and no clear kayaks, and that you have to stay until they bring you back to the port area.

Playa Uvas is close to the port area so that you can get in some shopping before or after your Uvas visit, they have gorgeous grounds with a pool, they have snorkel activities and clear kayak, the restaurant serves great food attractively presented, the staff is very friendly, and Playa Uvas is less expensive than Passion Island.

Since you've already been to Passion Island, why not give Playa Uvas a try this time?...you can always go back to Passion Island if that's your preference after trying both!!

Whichever you decide, have a wonderful trip!!

Melagirl

We too are booked fro Dec 26 and are really looking forward to it and are hopeful the snorkeling will have lots to see otherwise eldest DS will be very disappointed.

We are a party of 5, DH and myself-50's, DS ages 22 and 19 and grandma who is young at heart. We are sailing on the Enchantment. Perhaps we'll meet up.

Safe travels and smooth sailing.

Cruisepucks

We came back yesterday from out visit to Cozumel; I've got so much to tell you, I don't know where to begin LOL.

Being a whole week on the island we realized all we've missed in our prior visit of only a few hours. We had beautiful weather with lots of sun & heat - it only rained in the afternoons, or during the night. Last time we were here we had an overcast, cloudy, rainy day, and I didn't quite like the color of the ocean, but with the sun, it's beautiful! There were days that we could see up to 6-7 different colors of the ocean.

The idea was that my husband would take his scuba diving course at Playa Uvas, so we decided to stay at the Fiesta Americana Hotel - only 300 yards from Uvas - and we liked it; the service was special, food was very good, the room was very nice, the beach club, etc., everything ! We think it is one of the best hotels on the island.

Anyway, the plan was that only my husband was taking the course, but when we were there, I traded my reading book for the course and we both got certified. On our first day to Uvas, Carmen introduced us to our 3-day course scuba diving instructor, Luis, and as soon as we said hello, I trusted him for the job. Luis is a local; he was born in Cozumel, younger than I expected, 23-24 years old, I think - speaks very good English and always, at every moment, we felt we were in very good hands.

I'm going to have to do my review of our trip in stages; I have lots of things to accomplish today, so as soon as I get a little more free time, I'll continue. ;)

I am glad you're also back! Hope all went well... I am looking forward to the review and the pics because during our time at Uvas, Carmen kept talking about your dress and I definitely want too see it so I can copy it for my 2nd wedding.... :D

Artseeker

I don't want to start telling you in detail about the diving course, because I wouldn't know when to stop.. LOL, but we had 3 very exciting and complete days. We had several "theory" sessions, equipment handling, shallow divings, diving from the boat, fun diving, etc., and, above all, Luis would make a lot of emphasis on security. We always knew, beforehand, what to do in case of........ We staged the accidents under water so we could put into practice our teachings... things like, what to do if you run out of oxygen, what to do if we get attacked, etc.

From the first time out, we were always very well looked after; Eduardo, Carmen, Rafael, Jorge, everyone, very friendly, so by the second day I felt like part of the staff :D . One time, David, the one in charge of keeping the greens beautiful, taught me a few tricks so my gardenias are always blooming. Priceless!

Because this time we didn't buy a package, whatever we ordered was A LA CARTE; the food, I didn't know this, is prepared by a Chef, everything delicious - we just didn't get to the Margaritas because Luis did not allow us to drink alcohol. LOL. The book, I read it on the plane, because after each lesson I was frankly ready to walk back to the hotel, shower, eat dinner and sleep. I don't know if it is the thrill of the new experience, being on the boat with the sun all day, but I was drained and only wanted to rest. Two minutes after putting my head on the pillow, I was in dreamland; I was up early the next day, all ready and excited to continue with our instruction, we ate great breakfasts and we would walk back to Uvas and meet with Luis.

The experience of the certification that we got during those 3 days, was unforgettable, and we were handed our provisional C-cards and were told that PADI would mail us the official ones. I hope they don't forget with all this Holiday excitement. LOL

To be continued........ :D

I don't want to start telling you in detail about the diving course, because I wouldn't know when to stop.. LOL, but we had 3 very exciting and complete days. We had several "theory" sessions, equipment handling, shallow divings, diving from the boat, fun diving, etc., and, above all, Luis would make a lot of emphasis on security. We always knew, beforehand, what to do in case of........ We staged the accidents under water so we could put into practice our teachings... things like, what to do if you run out of oxygen, what to do if we get attacked, etc.

From the first time out, we were always very well looked after; Eduardo, Carmen, Rafael, Jorge, everyone, very friendly, so by the second day I felt like part of the staff :D . One time, David, the one in charge of keeping the greens beautiful, taught me a few tricks so my gardenias are always blooming. Priceless!

Because this time we didn't buy a package, whatever we ordered was A LA CARTE; the food, I didn't know this, is prepared by a Chef, everything delicious - we just didn't get to the Margaritas because Luis did not allow us to drink alcohol. LOL. The book, I read it on the plane, because after each lesson I was frankly ready to walk back to the hotel, shower, eat dinner and sleep. I don't know if it is the thrill of the new experience, being on the boat with the sun all day, but I was drained and only wanted to rest. Two minutes after putting my head on the pillow, I was in dreamland; I was up early the next day, all ready and excited to continue with our instruction, we ate great breakfasts and we would walk back to Uvas and meet with Luis.

The experience of the certification that we got during those 3 days, was unforgettable, and we were handed our provisional C-cards and were told that PADI would mail us the official ones. I hope they don't forget with all this Holiday excitement. LOL

To be continued........ :D