Playa Uvas

rscima

Stircrazy: Say "hola" to Carmen and Eduardo for me too, please. Gracias :p

Me too!! Tell Carmen and Eduardo I said Hola & that I wish I was there again!!! :D

I hope you have a great time up there Stir!!! (i'm so jealous..i wish i was going too!! lol Enjoy!!)

Me and my girlfriend will be there 1st of next month... Im hoping i can get her in the water.. she is way to worryed about sharks and jelly fish

Tell your girlfriend not to worry about sharks. I haven't seen one yet!! lol I have heard that every once in awhile someone may spot a nurse shark but I only heard this in Playa...on the other hand jelly fish...i hate those things!! lol I have only been stung once! It itched/burned for a min or two. I think that the jelly fish are only around during a certain time of the year but I have read somewhere on here that you can buy suntan lotion that prevents jelly fish from stinging you.

Neener Neener...we had such a great lunch at Uvas on Saturday that my family group decided to stay there instead of continuing on to our other excursion! LOL!

Kiko treated us so well, Eduardo showed up on his day off to collect his Chipotle Tabasco sauce, and Carmen traded hugs and kisses for some new Crocs. The grounds were gorgeous as usual and they even brought a cloud over for a couple of minutes to cool us down after we spent the morning at Discover Mexico.

I love going back to Uvas...it feels like home!

This time I got to meet Lezlee (LRene) and hubby, Mike...and sister, Linda!

You people need to get in on our RuleBreaker's Cruise in September. Email me for details if you might be interested! Put "RuleBreakers" in the subject line so the spam monster doesn't eat you.

donkeywranglerATgmail.com

Neener Neener...we had such a great lunch at Uvas on Saturday that my family group decided to stay there instead of continuing on to our other excursion! LOL!

Kiko treated us so well, Eduardo showed up on his day off to collect his Chipotle Tabasco sauce, and Carmen traded hugs and kisses for some new Crocs. The grounds were gorgeous as usual and they even brought a cloud over for a couple of minutes to cool us down after we spent the morning at Discover Mexico.

You people need to get in on our RuleBreaker's Cruise in September. Email me for details if you might be interested! Put "RuleBreakers" in the subject line so the spam monster doesn't eat you.

Glad to hear you had a great time Stir!! Thanks for posting!:D

Welcome back Stir, thanks for letting us know how everyone's doing. I have only been to Playa Uvas twice, but, the second time it was truly like being home. They are so amazing. Wish I was there right now.

Teresa

It was great to meet and visit with you too! It was another great day at Uvas for us as well. We really enjoyed the clear kayak experience this time and the food was better than I remembered. I recommend the combo fajitas.....so good. Thanks to Eduardo and Carmen for their usual generous hospitality! :)

Stir - I don't know about you but I though the sail away of the Fantasy and Ecstacy side-by-side was one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Two identical ships - dueling horns to sound off the sail - sailing off into the Cozumel sunset side by side for the longest way. I could see you on your balcony from our balcony. :) I don't know why that impressed me so much but it all my sailing, I've never seen that happen like that.

We'll keep the Rulebreakers in mind. Hard to drive so far to sail to the same places I can sail to from NOLA or Mobile but you never know where we might turn up.....

We will be going to Uvas on a cruise with the Holiday in March. This will be our first cruise so I am wondering about tipping if we purchased the all-inclusive package at Uvas. I got the package with everything included, my husband got the package with everything, just not the snorkeling. Then we also booked two 30-min. massages. Do we tip the guide for the snorkeling and kayaking separately? How much do you give them for the tip? What about the waiter (especially with the open bar)? Massage?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

We will be going to Uvas on a cruise with the Holiday in March. This will be our first cruise so I am wondering about tipping if we purchased the all-inclusive package at Uvas. I got the package with everything included, my husband got the package with everything, just not the snorkeling. Then we also booked two 30-min. massages. Do we tip the guide for the snorkeling and kayaking separately? How much do you give them for the tip? What about the waiter (especially with the open bar)? Massage?

We tipped the snorkeling guide, our waiter (we loved Kiko! You'll be assigned someone) I tipped the bartender on my way out, yes, I think it was the tequilla tipping, I mean, talking! I personally gave Carmen $20 just because she made sure our group of 13 felt very welcomed and pampered. Two of our gals got massages & tipped them as well. It is likely, depending on how many people are there that day, that you could have different guides for snorkeling & kayaking so I think that tipping them both is appropriate. Our snorkeling guide teared up when I handed him the tip from our group, he was so appreciative. Whatever you decide, have a great time. We love Playa Uvas & can't wait to go back.

Oops, forgot you asked how much tip. We tipped the snorkel guide (roughly) 5pp & Kiko our awesome waiter got 10 from each of us, trust me, he earned it! I think I threw 10 into the bartender's jar (I'm not sure if anyone in my group gave any extra-like I said, tequilla talking!)

Hope this helped. Have fun.

After reading this thread I made reservations at Playa Uvas for our cruise in April. It sounds great. There will be a total of 10 of us going.

I have a few questions though. Hopefully some of you people who've recently visited can give me a few answers.

I've heard that the beach there can be a little rough on the feet. Would you recommend water shoes? Also, with the all inclusive pass drinks are included. After we are done in the water I plan to drink quite a bit. I've been on an all inclusive excursion before and getting a drink was quite a task. Is that the case at Uvas?

Do any of you have recent pictures of the place?

After reading this thread I made reservations at Playa Uvas for our cruise in April. It sounds great. There will be a total of 10 of us going.

I have a few questions though. Hopefully some of you people who've recently visited can give me a few answers.

I've heard that the beach there can be a little rough on the feet. Would you recommend water shoes? Also, with the all inclusive pass drinks are included. After we are done in the water I plan to drink quite a bit. I've been on an all inclusive excursion before and getting a drink was quite a task. Is that the case at Uvas?

Do any of you have recent pictures of the place?

The beach is basically tiny little crushed shells, we just had flip flops & it was fine. Let's face it, you don't feel much after several margaritas! You shouldn't have any problems getting drinks, we never did & there were 13 of us & several others there that day. I'll see if I can come up with a few pictures to post. Sadly, I forgot my camera this trip & have to rely on my friends for photos so it might take me a few days. We had such a good time, hope you enjoy it too!

Teresa

Just back from our cruise. Playa Uvas was great! We had Kiko as a server. He was on top of everything. He's very attentive and anticipates what you will need. I didn't care for the strawberry margaritas at all. They didn't taste anything like how they are supposed to so we just got some beer. Kiko recommended Sol, which is very good. The fajitas were good as well. We got a bed, which was nice and comfy. My boyfriend got a massage which he said was awesome. Snorkeling was good, but I wish they would've went a little slower so we could enjoy more. It seemed like a lot of straight swimming. The weather was perfect! Couldn't have asked for better weather, 85 with a nice breeze. I will be heading back there soon!! Thanks for everyones recommendations!

Just back from our cruise. Playa Uvas was great! We had Kiko as a server. He was on top of everything. He's very attentive and anticipates what you will need. I didn't care for the strawberry margaritas at all. They didn't taste anything like how they are supposed to so we just got some beer. Kiko recommended Sol, which is very good. The fajitas were good as well. We got a bed, which was nice and comfy. My boyfriend got a massage which he said was awesome. Snorkeling was good, but I wish they would've went a little slower so we could enjoy more. It seemed like a lot of straight swimming. The weather was perfect! Couldn't have asked for better weather, 85 with a nice breeze. I will be heading back there soon!! Thanks for everyones recommendations!

I'm wondering what you mean by a lot of straight swimming? Did you snorkel off the beach? Just wanted clarification--thought we'd try Playa Uvas this summer.

We were at Playa Uvas for the first time last week. It was close to paradise on earth!

I hope to return one day soon. Our party of 7 were made to feel as welcome as long-lost cousins. We were greeted by name by Carmen and Eduardo and were introduced to David and Kiko. My husband & I were offered the choice to go on the first snorkel tour or wait for the next group. We elected to wait and get our French-speaking elderly relatives settled in. We had pre-requested 4 massages, so we met with Alicia and the other nice masseuse to arrange times.

After the first couple had their massage, another aunt decided to get one also. The ladies were nice enough to fit her in. They suggested I have my massage after snorkeling and lunch. That was the perfect way to do it! I even managed to get my husband to have a 15 minute massage on his sore shoulder. He loved it! I have had massages at some very upscale resorts and can say that Alicia's massage was one of the best I have ever had! My friend from the ship said that her step-mom is a real massage connoisseur and she was also full of compliments about her massage.

As far as the snorkeling, we really found the pace just fine. Our snorkel excursion was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being more like an hour. That's because one of the snorkelers was very nervous. She was brave to want to try snorkeling with her family. The guides were great with her, letting her hold onto the buoy. One guide basically swam pulling her along. That did slow us down a bit. We got to see lots of fish, a stingray and some brain coral. Of course the fish weren't as brilliantly colored as in Hawaii, but we really enjoyed seeing the caves and the stingray. It was a nice relaxed adventure since we were close to shore and the water wasn't too deep.

Right after we dried off from snorkeling, they had our pre-ordered lunch and drinks waiting for us and for the rest of our party. The fish platter and chicken Fajitas were both very good! I am allergic to shellfish, and they were very careful to take note of this and prepare my food in a separate pan. Eduardo even noted my allergy on the reservation confirmation with yellow highlighting. The waiter also knew about it before I mentioned the allergy.

After lunch, I walked over to Alicia and she was ready for my massage. It was fabulously relaxing!

We relaxed on the beach until about 4 p.m. until it was time to head back into town and to the ship. It was very easy to get cabs back from Playa Uvas.

We were sad to leave after a perfect day. Thanks to everyone at Playa Uvas! What a well-run operation.

Jane

I'm wondering what you mean by a lot of straight swimming? Did you snorkel off the beach? Just wanted clarification--thought we'd try Playa Uvas this summer.

By swimming straight I mean at a pretty steady pace, and I am in my early 20's, my boyfriend thought so as well. You walk down the beach a little ways and they have you get in the water and go out just a bit and you snorkel along the shoreline back to where Playa Uvas is. It was a good time though. I do have to agree that the snorkeling in Grand Cayman had a lot more colorful fish, but that's the only thing I have to compare to this, besides the other time I snorkeled in Cozumel. They have different guides, so maybe they vary their pace. You'll have a fine time!

By swimming straight I mean at a pretty steady pace, and I am in my early 20's, my boyfriend thought so as well. You walk down the beach a little ways and they have you get in the water and go out just a bit and you snorkel along the shoreline back to where Playa Uvas is. It was a good time though. I do have to agree that the snorkeling in Grand Cayman had a lot more colorful fish, but that's the only thing I have to compare to this, besides the other time I snorkeled in Cozumel. They have different guides, so maybe they vary their pace. You'll have a fine time!

Thanks for the explaination. Now, I'm wondering where you snorkeled in Grand Cayman LOL. The most colorful place we've ever snorkeled was at Chankanaab which is right next to Playa Uvas. On a past cruise we took the ferry from St. Thomas to Trunk Bay in St. John to snorkel and the snorkeling was SO disappointing :( All brown fish. Maybe it was the time of year. We do stop in Grand Cayman this summer so let me know where you snorkeled there, we will have to try it out. We've only done the beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, and shopping in GC so far.

We used Captain Marvins and went to Stingray City, Barrier Reef, and to the Coral Gardens. It seemed like a lot more to see. That's my opinion anyhow! They gave me some pieces of bread that was rolled up in a big wad and told me to just shake it in my closed hand in front of me and the fish were all over right in front of me. I was curious if they would take it out of my hand, and the one did and got my finger a bit (didn't hurt). That was really nice because then you could take better pictures of the fish up close. I'm ready to go back, and I've been home 5 days.

Laura,

I'm so sorry. I mis-addressed your CD, and it was returned to me this morning. I'll fix it up and send it right back out later today!

That's okay! I was wondering if my cd was ever going to make it!! lol

Thanks for letting me know Stir! :D Again, thanks for doing this for me!!

Janestarr-

Enjoyed reading your review! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the explaination. Now, I'm wondering where you snorkeled in Grand Cayman LOL. The most colorful place we've ever snorkeled was at Chankanaab which is right next to Playa Uvas. On a past cruise we took the ferry from St. Thomas to Trunk Bay in St. John to snorkel and the snorkeling was SO disappointing :( All brown fish. Maybe it was the time of year. We do stop in Grand Cayman this summer so let me know where you snorkeled there, we will have to try it out. We've only done the beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, and shopping in GC so far.

The best snorkeling we have ever done was in Grand Cayman last April. Once we tendered in, we walked a few blocks (like maybe 2) to Eden Rock, rented gear for like $10 & jumped in off the shore. It was truly amazing. I was a little unerved by the 5 ft Tarpin (there were 3 of them) the were huge! But it was beautiful, lots of colorful fishies & squid too.

Check out the GC boards, you'll find more info there.

Oops, forgot you asked how much tip. We tipped the snorkel guide (roughly) 5pp & Kiko our awesome waiter got 10 from each of us, trust me, he earned it! I think I threw 10 into the bartender's jar (I'm not sure if anyone in my group gave any extra-like I said, tequilla talking!)

Hope this helped. Have fun.

How much did you tip for the massages???

Yes Uvas is torture on the feet-bring water shoes! Also the rocks and sandbags they have down are slimey and slippery, so again wear the water shoes. Dreas had us wear ours down the beach till we got to the spot where we'd snorkle, then he put all the shoes in the rescue boat so we'd have them when we got back to the beach. The snorkeling was great, we saw lots of cool stuff, and really up close, tons of huge purple fan coral... Dreas was great about diving down and showing us stuff and helping us to dive, but the fish were definitely more colorful in Grand Cayman. In GC we went with Native Way watersport, whom I HIGHLY recommend. I have written a lengthy review of our experience with them but with these boards being the way they are I have yet to post it, it keeps going into cyberspace. If anyone wants to read it I can email it.