Playa Uvas

rscima

I booked this trip through Shoretrips and spent about $63 (approx. $4 more than through the website...I think that's what I paid). I can't wait to go! Hoping i can find some people to share a cab with as it's $10/trip for me.

See below for my review from last month!

attachment.php?attachmentid=72847&d=1205372617

attachment.php?attachmentid=72848&d=1205372743

attachment.php?attachmentid=72849&d=1205372750

attachment.php?attachmentid=72850&d=1205372758

stdatwmu, may I please have permission to add one of these pics to my collection of Uvas pics? As I mentioned I only have the one beach pic of my daughter b'c I used all the pics on the disposable camera underwater, and the pic of the chairs in the seating area under the canopy is EXACTLY where we sat to eat. I always wished I would have gotten a pic of that area and your pic is exactly what I would have liked to have gotten.

The pic would only be added to my personal collection of our cruise pics.

Let me know if you're ok with my snagging it.

Thanks!

stdatwmu, may I please have permission to add one of these pics to my collection of Uvas pics? As I mentioned I only have the one beach pic of my daughter b'c I used all the pics on the disposable camera underwater, and the pic of the chairs in the seating area under the canopy is EXACTLY where we sat to eat. I always wished I would have gotten a pic of that area and your pic is exactly what I would have liked to have gotten.

The pic would only be added to my personal collection of our cruise pics.

Let me know if you're ok with my snagging it.

Thanks!

Of course you can add to your collection... if you want me to see if I have a higher-resolution copy let me know and I can email it to you.

Of course you can add to your collection... if you want me to see if I have a higher-resolution copy let me know and I can email it to you.

That would be great :)

Mail to Len Jane Yobi At Yahoo Dot Com

No spaces of course.

Thanks again so very much :)

• 2 weeks later...
I booked this trip through Shoretrips and spent about $63 (approx. $4 more than through the website...I think that's what I paid). I can't wait to go! Hoping i can find some people to share a cab with as it's $10/trip for me.

Ana--

Wanted to know how your cruise went as well as your trip to Playa Uvas. I hope you had a great time at Playa Uvas!!

I was at playa Uva two weeks ago......overall I wasn"t that impressed. We went for beach massages but as the turned out they weren't aren't on the beach but in a stucco bldg. Massage was pleasant though.

The beach is rocky not a tropical sandy beach. More like New England beaches. To get into the water they have sandbags under water to walk on....somewhat slippery. I would strongly suggest that you wear water shoes. The bar and "dining area" was small but nice. They have a variety of 4 mexican beers there and no other choices. (no corona)

There is a $7/pp charge to get onto the beach and a $3/pp rental fee for towels if needed. The bathrooms are ok...not the cleaniest but it is the beach so we must be realistic.

The people there were very nice. There are two (?) little shops there to buy goods but nothing appealed to us.

It is approximately $10.00 to get there via taxi and they were very easy to access. Our cab driver recommedned a different beach but we had reservations for massages so we stayed with UVAs.

I did see some kayaks go out but did not indulge. They appeared to be in ok shape. There really was no crowd to speak of and very few kids...if any.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 5. I think I will try someplace new next time. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. The fact that the beach is rocky has been well publicized here, and since we're going mainly to snorkel, that's fine with me.

Sounds like you probably should've gone to Nachi. They have the sandy beach and I'm pretty sure the massages are outside. At least it looked that way from the pics I've seen in those threas.

I still think, for what we'll be paying, that it's going to be a really good deal to snorkel, have lunch and a few drinks.

I just hope it's relatively quiet when we're there. I had checked criusecal when we first booked (before they went to paid subscribers only) and believe there are to be 3 ships in port that day, which is a fairly light load for Cozumel.

The beach is rocky not a tropical sandy beach. More like New England beaches.

Agree the beach is very rocky, have to disagree with it being like New England beaches...I've lived here all my life and have yet to see a beach area here that is as rocky as that place was! Yes, the coast is very rocky in areas, but most of our actual beaches are clear of rocks and sandy.

I'll wade in for the snorkeling (must remember to get some water shoes for DD), and then later, if I want to get in the water, I'll get in the pool! :D

That's what I figured when I was there also, but we were pretty disappointed in the pool. It is very small and was pretty dirty looking when we were there so we skipped it. No one else went in either, so I don't think it was just our group that wasn't crazy about the looks of the pool.

Once you get into the water and past the rocky area it was really nice clear water, so warm and blue :)

We weren't allowed to wear our water shoes for snorkeling--our guide told us that the water shoes could damage the coral, but couldn't the same be said for the fins??? They had us wear our water shoes to walk down the beach b'c the sand was very rough with lots of sharp shards of rock and shells and was very hot. We walked down the beach so we could snorkle with the current which would take us back down to the P U beachfront. Once we got to the next pier area they had us get into the water and we all put our water shoes into the rescue kayak. We put on our fins and stuff when we were in the water and got our shoes back when we were finished snorkeling and were back on the P U beach.

I really loved the snorkeling and kayaking experience here, don't get me wrong. Love love loved it. But as I've said if I were going for the beach experience only, I'd have been disappointed.

Enjoy Playa Uvas :)

Ah! Got it. Hope they clean the pool, then.

I'll still need to get DD some water shoes, though.

We'll be doing a beach day at both Roatan and Freeport. I'm not even much of a beach person, so that should satisfy my need for beach time.

Well, I don't know, both times we were there, the pool was VERY clean! But, honestly, with the ocean in front of you - warm, crystal blue clear waters, who really needs the pool? That's just my opinion! ;)

Well, a week from today, I'll know all about Uvas, as we'll be there next Monday. Really looking forward to it! Must somehow find time to get DD some water shoes! Bought some Burt's Bees sunscreen, which should be ok to use in the water there. Hope so, as it wasn't particularly inexpensive.

Can I just show up to Playa Uvas, or do I have to have a reservation before hand?

It's probably best to make a reservation depending on what you want to do - I think they limit the number of people so it doesn't get too crowded. There were also only two ships in Cozumel the day we went. Crowds weren't an issue for us - we were one of two families on the beach the day we were there. The ship tour of about 20 people came through and left, and there were 3 or 4 tables of other tourists who showed up for lunch. Other than that it was like our own private beach resort for the day. :D We did the lunch/snorkel tour/open bar package for around $40pp.

Okay, I admit to being a Playa Uvas "cheerleader", but I do try to be objective when reviewing. I feel the need to explain some of the reasons for the "crowds" at Uvas the past few months...especially in March.

1. High Season...during the high season there are often 6, 7, 8, even 9 ships in port. Even though Playa Uvas limits reservations it can get crowded with ship excursions, people who reserve from the website, and those who just show up.

Thank goodness, High Season is over!! Fewer ships in port means more room to spread out at Playa Uvas, especially during the low season from May until around October.

2. Too Nice...for 10 days in March, Playa Uvas allowed Punta Sur to send over their snorkelers since high winds out of the South made it impossible to snorkel there. Punta Sur is now operating normally, and Playa Uvas was just trying to help their neighbors by taking their snorkelers. Sometimes we seem to hurt ourselves when trying to help someone else.

While I'm at it, let me defend the rocks:

No rocks, no snorkeling...or not very good snorkeling. Uvas is part of the National Marine Park, and unlike other areas that have trucked in sand to make their beaches, Uvas must follow the federal guidelines, or lose their ability to operate. They are not allowed to cover the rocks or to alter the shoreline without express permission from the government of Mexico.

I think we've all been very careful to make sure that our reviews are fair about the rocks. We've warned of the need for water shoes! We've posted photos so that no one is unaware of the rocks.

As for the massage being in a stucco building, I don't know if that was an experiment or what. I've always had mine out on the beach under a nice tent!

I'll ask Eduardo about that!!

Just got off the Inspiration this morning, had a great time. We went to Uvas on Sat. it was exactly what we needed. We were four women(3 in their 40's and one 50's) We did the complete package snorkle, kayak, open bar, lunch. I also did the massage. The massage was off the beach but I didn't have a problem with that at all, I was so relaxed that I fell asleep. The lunch was good, the water beautiful. We wore water shoes and had no problem with the sand or the rocks. The drinks were not watered down. We also got henni tatoos. All in all we had a great time and the other three were thrilled with my choice.

Just got off the Inspiration this morning, had a great time. We went to Uvas on Sat. it was exactly what we needed. We were four women(3 in their 40's and one 50's) We did the complete package snorkle, kayak, open bar, lunch. I also did the massage. The massage was off the beach but I didn't have a problem with that at all, I was so relaxed that I fell asleep. The lunch was good, the water beautiful. We wore water shoes and had no problem with the sand or the rocks. The drinks were not watered down. We also got henni tatoos. All in all we had a great time and the other three were thrilled with my choice.

I'm glad to have read that you had a great time! I can't wait to go back to Uvas again! I love the atmosphere there!! :D

We were there last Monday.

Taxi for 2 was $12. We arrived just after a ship excursion with many people, and were told we could join them for the snorkelling, which was fine with us.

My first snorkelling, and I was just about having an anxiety attack and ready to back out, when I put my face in the water, realized I could actually breath through the tube, and I wasn't going to sink to the bottom. I did get very tired by the end of the excursion, though. Saw a stingray, flounder, puffer fish, and many others.

When we were done, Raul directed us to our table, where the chips and salsa were waiting. I ordered a beer and DD had a margarita. Soon, our chicken fajitas arrived, which were excellent.

I have to say, the place was packed. Every table was full and we didn't even go sit in a lounger on the beach. We just sat and ate and drank until we decided to head back.

There was a couple who were on the Triumph, and since we were docked next to each other, we decided to share a taxi going back, so it was $5 each.

I would return, but it would've been more fun had there not been such a mob.

2521034080102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

2999935300102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

2394453980102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

2827491590102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

2272151240102755439S425x425Q85.jpg