Playa Uvas

rscima

My friend and I had such a fun day at Uvas last year, we're coming back only this time with 4 more friends who've never been. We showed them the website and they couldn't wait to go. Unfortunately, it's not until Feb 09, but that's ok, cuz it's great to have something to look forward to. I still remember how wonderful the service, food, drinks, ambiance, water kayaking, and massages were.

I am sorry to hear the massage is no longer under the canopy by the shore. It was so amazingly relaxing to hear the water sounds and feel the gentle trade winds. Maybe they will reinstate it before we return.

In any case can't wait to go back for another perfect day in paradise.

• 4 weeks later...

Cozumel time is an hour behind so that it will be 0900 when you arrive. I think that we made our reservation for 1000 when we went in May. I don't think it really matters, they will accomadate you when you get there. We had a great time, wish we were there.

Did you ever see my wedding pics?? I posted them a while back..if not, I will be more than happy to post em again!!

In case your not familiar, I got married at Playa Uvas!!! :D

Is the beach here nice and sandy or rocky? We are going to be there in late October and just curious about this beach. Our ship is the only one in port that day so I am sure it is not going to be real crowded. Do you know if they tender or dock in this port? How are the taxi fares to the beach. Sorry for all the questions but this is our first visit here and trying to know a little about the places we are going. Thank You:)

There weren't too many people on the ship excursion on our trip - maybe 20 or so? But wait until you see the looks on the faces of the excursion people when they all get served a fruit plate after snorkeling and you're sitting there with a great big plate of yummy grilled fish or fajitas and all the drinks you want.:D

This is why I booked direct with Uvas. The price is right and you get a lot more than the ship tour. Their tour is 3.5 hours.Since our ship is in until 10:00 P.M. I feel we can stay at the beach as long as we wish and then do some shopping and return in time for supper. My wife does not snorkel but it is still a good price at that. She can do the kayak tour with me. Would really like to see some pics from some one. :D

Is the beach here nice and sandy or rocky? We are going to be there in late October and just curious about this beach. Our ship is the only one in port that day so I am sure it is not going to be real crowded. Do you know if they tender or dock in this port? How are the taxi fares to the beach. Sorry for all the questions but this is our first visit here and trying to know a little about the places we are going. Thank You

To answer your question, in my opinion I think that the beach is a mixture of both rocky and sandy. The beach there does have rocky spots on it but at the same time it also has some sandy sections in it. This being said, I have been there 3 times with different people they have always enjoyed it there. I think that the rocks being there makes the snorkeling better!! You can see the fish as soon as you step into the water!!

Playa Uvas is a great place to visit. I have enjoyed it there. The people there are extremely nice and if you ever have a problem always go to Carmen, she will take great care of you!!!

If your going to be the only ship there I have to assume that you will be docking there. Which cruise ship are you going on? I was on the Carnival Ecstacy and both times we docked.

I am going to attach some of my wedding pics and other pics my dh took while I was out snorkeling. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!! I will be more than happy to answer em!!

101_101.jpg

View of the ocean from the entrance

102_102.jpg

093_93.jpg

The beach

091_91.jpg

I love those beds!! They are soo comfy!!

077_77.jpg

That hut to the right of the pic is where you can go and get tattoos.

DSC_0878.jpg

Our ceremony!

P1000516.jpg

To the left of this pic is the bar and you can just anywhere and order

your food or drinks.

P1000515.jpg

Hammocks

P1000512.jpg

Awesome jewlery for sale at Uvas

P1000511.jpg

The massage tables;

Right behind the pic you will see some life vests and a clear kayak. That is where they will give you a brief instructions about being out on the kayak.

The massage tables are not out there on the beach now.

Regarding the sandy beach, read through the thread.

Some people are very disappointed that it isn't sandy, while most state that this is typical of beaches where you have good snorkeling right from the beach.

When we went in May, I wasn't at all disappointed in the beach, or the fact that there were ship excursions there and lots of people, because I'd read the entire thread and knew pretty much just what to expect.

It was a very pleasant day. It would've been even better if there had been fewer people, but it was nice enough that I'd return and I'd recommend it for people wanting to snorkel, have a nice lunch and a few beverages!

Thanks for posting the wedding pics. What an awesome place to go for your wedding!

So sorry to hear the massage table is not on the beach anymore. Between us, we have 3.5 hours booked for our upcoming trip. And that was because I told everyone it would be right on the beach. Where is it now? Is it still open to the sea breezes? Can you still see the water? Can you hear the waves? These were all the things that made this so special, and not just another massage at a spa.

We went to Playa Uvas last Saturday (June 28th) in the afternoon. The taxi cost 10 dollars each way to/from the Punta Lagosta pier. I researched beaches a lot before going and I was very happy with my choice. We were a group of 6. We made reservations before going (no credit card necessary, so no risk involved) and it ended up being cheaper - $7 entry instead of $10 with no reservations.

The snorkeling was AMAZING - one of the best experiences I've had! It seemed pretty empty at the resort, so they offered a guide to us for no charge (we tipped him afterwards). We were so glad that we went with him because he pointed out a stingray, eel, barracuda, and freshwater cave (very cool), and of course tons of beautiful fish. The sand isn't very comfortable to walk on, but that is the price you pay for great snorkeling. We got 2 free drinks with our snorkeling equipment rental - the pina coladas were good.

I didn't do the massage, but saw the massage tables in a room off to the right side.

It is great!! Book through Playa Uvas website not your cruise. Kayaks are not clear, no fun. Best snorkeling is right off shore don’t pay for the tour unless you want to go deep.:)

So why are they called clear kayaks? Why were they not fun???

Although we had an enjoyable day, I am not planning on returning to Uvas this year for our trip. I was somewhat disappointed.

We did the clear kayak tour and when we arrived, we were rushed to get to the guide area for our instructions, then we started our kayaking experience. I would have liked it very much if we could have kayaked at our own speed, but instead we were constantly coaxed to stay all together. We kayaked to the right to a pier area and then back again. It was like they wanted to hurry up and get done. We had some children (youngest 10y.o.) and an adult non-swimmer that was unfamiliar with kayaking and we think it would have been alot of fun if we could have explored at our own pace, instead of feeling like we were lagging behind holding the group up from the hurry up and get nowhere attitude.

Then, I remember something about having to have all of our party's meal served at ths same time. Some were hungry right away, others were not. But they wouldn't let those of us order, unless we all ordered. I do remember the food tasting wonderful and staff at the bar area very friendly.

This time I think we will try PB.

Stillfloatin--

I emailed Eduardo to find out where they moved the massages too and he sent me an email and confirmed that they have indeed removed the spot to another location.

The reason whey they moved it from the beach was because they rec'd several complaints about the privacy. So to satisfy their customers they moved the massages to a cabana behind where Carmen greets customers. So now when you go and get your massage it is private and you don't have to worry about anybody seeing you.

I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you need any additional information. :D

Stillfloatin--

I emailed Eduardo to find out where they moved the massages too and he sent me an email and confirmed that they have indeed removed the spot to another location.

The reason whey they moved it from the beach was because they rec'd several complaints about the privacy. So to satisfy their customers they moved the massages to a cabana behind where Carmen greets customers. So now when you go and get your massage it is private and you don't have to worry about anybody seeing you.

I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you need any additional information. :D

Thanks for the info!

Stillfloatin--

That's too bad. I've had 2 massages at Uvas on the beach and they were both wonderful. No one ever watched, and if they did... Oh well!

Yes, as you enter, they're under shelter on the right, before you get to the bar/dining area, which is on the left. It is open, but it isn't right near the beach.

We were also "rushed" to join up with a snorkeling group, but that wasn't a problem. I preferred to go in the early group rather than wait as I knew the sun would only get more intense and that I'd be starving if we waited. And we couldn't drink before we snorkeled, so it worked out well.

Playa Uvas was not offered as one of the excursions on our cruise. But it should have been!! I looked it up on the internet. I loved it because it was close, clean and such a personal staff. We showed up early so it wasn't crowded. In fact there were only two or three other families there with us. Other tour groups came in the afternoon. We had a great time and would definately recommend this stop.