Rental car from Skagway to Emerald Lake?

Buddysmom10

What is the road like? We're going in July; are there alot of switchbacks ?(I think that is what they are called). We are from a very flat area and I get sweaty palms driving around the Smokies! Are there a lot of cliffs like driving down the coast of California or is the road pretty tame? I have seen guardrails on some of the photos but are there some scary areas? Sorry but I get a little chicken driving in the mountains. Thanks!

The drive is a very easy drive on a good road. It is a much easier drive than any through the mountains of North Carolina. The scenery is beautiful and well worth the trip. It is much better to rent a car than take a motorcoach, IMHO. There are many pull-offs where you can stop and take pictures and just enjoy the view. You won't get the narration that you get on the tours but all that information is available online. There is a mile-by-mile guide online that is very good and includes all the things that we heard on the motorcoach ride (on our first Alaska cruise). Renting a car is much cheaper leaving us money to spend on the Taku Lodge Floatplane trip in Juneau - the BEST excursion.

I think you'll find this link very useful - mile by mile guide to the drive

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

(takes 19 pages to print, so load your printer....)

Thanks for posting the link. I couldn't remember where it was and didn't have the time to search at that moment. It is a very good guide.

I think you'll find this link very useful - mile by mile guide to the drive

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

(takes 19 pages to print, so load your printer....)

Thanks for posting the link. I couldn't remember where it was and didn't have the time to search at the moment. Those of you interested in renting a car should be aware that rental cars go fast so you should reserve as soon as possible. Our total cost for the car and gas was less than $100. It is probably a little more now with gas prices the way they are. :(

Sorry about the double post. I got the idea that my first response didn't post correctly.

Just did that drive last Monday on our Alaskan cruise on the Vision of the Seas.

The road is in good condition - a paved 2 lane highway.

Take lots of time to stop at allt he pull offs for photos. The scenery just keeps unfolding. And the return trip is just as beautiful as the outbound trip as you enjoy a different view of the mountians.

Unfortunately for us Emerald Lake was still frozen over so we did not get the benefit of seeing the ermerald waters. It was still pretty.

The Cinnamon Bun Cashe is closed - however the Caribou Crossing is open and we had a nice lunch there and enjoyed the museum. WE could have enjoyed a sled dog ride for $30. Canadian but my husband wouldn't.

You have only 2 choices for lunch and both are just north of Carcross - they are Spirit Lodge and the other is Caribou Crossing.

Souvenirs are cheaper at the general store in Carcross than at the Caribou Crossing but the Caribou Crossing has the nice art work and good stuff while the general store has all the little trinkets.

They have just opened / built a suspension bridge over a gorge at about mile 50 which was interesting.

Don't waste your time driving out to Dyea.

A great trip and well worth the money.

As there were 4 of us we rented a larger explorer and ended up with a mini-van - total cost including gas was $140 which we split between us - so a very inexpensive tour.

Yes it took us the whole day even though the distance was only 73 miles - but with all our stops for photos etc we were gone with the van from 9:30am till 4:30pm

For those debating between car and train. The train takes you to the summit which is only about 25 miles from Skagway and then turns around and takes you back. The road runs thru the same pass but on the opposite side of the valley - so as we drove we could see the tracks for much of the drive. However at the summit you are on opposite sides of the mountian.

Then with the car we carried on much further enjoying more scenery and passing thru British Columbia and on into the Yukon Territory of Canada

Hope this helps you.

Sounds Great!! We are on the Vision of the Seas Cruise from Seattle on 23 June. I have already reserved a car from Avis. Called last week and spoke with Bonnie and requested a mini-van. She sais she wasn't sure if they would have any. Apparently they do if you rented one. Hopefully by calling, they will earmark one for me. How many vans did u see?

Trip to Emerald Lake sounds wonderful. We are planning only to do that. How much would the dog sled ride be in American? My 8 and 11 year old daughters can't wait for that!!

Mark

We were there last week and did this trip. They only had 24 cars available and we didn't see any vans. They did have full size cars ...Altima...Grand Prix etc. but some were 2 door only. You might want to specify a 4 door if you require it. Real nice people at this Avis, and very accomodating. Loved this trip...extraordinary scenery....heard many were disappointed with their train ride, which made it even better since we were torn between doing one or the other.

Sounds Great!! We are on the Vision of the Seas Cruise from Seattle on 23 June. I have already reserved a car from Avis. Called last week and spoke with Bonnie and requested a mini-van. She sais she wasn't sure if they would have any. Apparently they do if you rented one. Hopefully by calling, they will earmark one for me. How many vans did u see?

Trip to Emerald Lake sounds wonderful. We are planning only to do that. How much would the dog sled ride be in American? My 8 and 11 year old daughters can't wait for that!!

Mark

I haven't been able to find a phone number for Avis in Skagway. What number did you call to talk to Bonnie?

We'll be in Skagway Sept. 20th. Avis closes down Sept. 15th. Alternate agency available or recommended?

I am using Sour Dough Car Rentals. Avis was sold out. 907-983-2523.:)

I do not recommend Sourdough. I had used them prior to my trip a couple weeks ago, OK cars, not too clean but at least were well maintained.

This past experience, had a car that was poorly maintained, didn't even get 20mpg with a Taurus. The gas gage was all over the place, so it may not have been even full to begin with??? Or leaking??? Who knows, they were not interested when I reported this, I called them since I had late drop off. This car should have been in top shape since I was on the first ship of the season, I would have thought???

This company has never gotten great reviews, which I was fully aware of, but this was really beyond my acceptance.

They are open all year. So if you just call them, far better, they are poor on email contact.

What is involved with customs at the Alaska/Canada border when doing this roadtrip? Is it just like a regular border crossing or what? Thanks.

-Suntan

You have to stop at the border and show your passport or proof of citizenship. That is about it. Of course, they have the option of searching your car but I've never seen them do it.

Scotty2, Emerald Lake is in the Yukon Territory. You are only in BC for a short time before crossing into the Yukon. It is a short trip that takes a long time because you stop so much to take pictures and appreciate the view.

Archived