Why can't Celebrity just fix the M-Class ships once and for all?

avalon1025

We have been avoiding the M-Calss ships as we usually do longer cruises which require lots of planning, and it seems Celebrity just can't keep these ships working. We have now planned a 14 night South America cruise on the Infinity and wonder why they can't just fix these ships on their drydock periods once and for all. Is there a reason they can not replace the entire POD with ones that have not been problematic for other lines?

Not quite as simple as replacing the pods.

The thrust bearings are the trouble spot, not the pods, and until the engineers can overcome excessive wear on the bearings, the pods will continue to be high-maintenance items requiring excessive attention and frequent replacement.

It is not a matter of they can't fix the pods. They just won't fix them.

Hi Zaandam !

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I cant imagine that Celebrity would want to risk this situation, over and over, if they had a bona fide fix to the situation. I truly feel that if a permanent solution was out there, it would have been done by now. I have spoken to many of the Ship's officers about this, and they surely dont seem to feel as if there is a permanent fix out there, not at this point anyway.

Hopefully, Celebrity will come up with a fix for this, and I am sure we all agree, that the sooner it happens, the better.

We have been avoiding the M-Class ships

With this latest Summit debacle I'm sure you will start seeing alot of people avoiding these ships. Celebrity is offering 30% off of your next cruise as compensation for a botched cruise. The 30% is apparently taken from their rack rates and not from what you could actually book the cruise for. When this becomes common knowledge watch out for the next wave of negative reports.

If you look at page 2 on the "Mutiny" thread you will see an excellent explanation by "Cruise News Daily" of the issues. He posted a couple of messages that I think fully explains the situation.

Having said that, I would be hesitant to book a trip on the affected ships unless it right after a scheduled dry dock.

I have spoken to many of the Ship's officers about this, and they surely dont seem to feel as if there is a permanent fix out there, not at this point anyway.

No offense Andy, but I'm sure none of the ships officers are marine engineers, nor do they have the first clue of what the problem really is. Now if you had gone down to the engine room and talked to the mechanics I bet you would have obtained the real scoop.......

With this latest Summit debacle I'm sure you will start seeing alot of people avoiding these ships. Celebrity is offering 30% off of your next cruise as compensation for a botched cruise. The 30% is apparently taken from their rack rates and not from what you could actually book the cruise for. When this becomes common knowledge watch out for the next wave of negative reports.

My clients received a full refund of the cancelled Summit cruise. They received a free cruise later in Sept on Summit. They elected to upgrade from their previously booked Cat 7 to a 2b. On the new sailing, they are paying the difference in fare from what they paid on their Cat 7 (Resident rate) to the 2b which I booked them in under a Senior Fare code.

My clients received a full refund of the cancelled Summit cruise.

Sorry. I was actually referring to the cruise which just ended on May 20 and not the cancelled cruise starting on the 20th.

Since you are in the business perhaps you could explain the 30% off of rack rate versus the lowest available rate. I saw that somewhere and can't find it again so I do want to make sure I re-stated it correctly.

Sorry. I was actually referring to the cruise which just ended on May 20 and not the cancelled cruise starting on the 20th.

Since you are in the business perhaps you could explain the 30% off of rack rate versus the lowest available rate. I saw that somewhere and can't find it again so I do want to make sure I re-stated it correctly.

Lowest available fare = fare anyone can purchase. No restrictions.. age. residency etc.

Senior Fare = 55+ (at least one person in the cabin)

Resident Fare = (proof of certain state residency - states change)

Five Star fare = typically found on suites or near to sold out categories. (Non promotional) This is as high as it gets.

LAF = sometimes is equal to Five Star fare

30% off a future cruise.. works the same way. The lowest available fare code your agent can find on the sailing you are interested in.

No offense Andy, but I'm sure none of the ships officers are marine engineers, nor do they have the first clue of what the problem really is. Now if you had gone down to the engine room and talked to the mechanics I bet you would have obtained the real scoop.......

Hi Florida Cruiser !

No offense taken. I am aware of what you said, but most passengers do not get a chance to speak with the the engine room crew. I believe that a Captain or a Staff Captain would have firsthand knowledge of the situation reasonably well, as Senior officers must be kept aware of problems. It's not like I was speaking with the Maitre'd about this :)

Any ideas as to why all the M class ships have this particular problem yet after 4 years in service,the Constellation does not.Is it the crew?the Captain? is it maintainance procedures?luck?Any thoughts?

Celebrity is not the only cruise line that has had problems with the POD. While I was on the Summit recently (before the recent problem) I was on another cruise line last fall that has a problem with the PODs. On our cruise, they had to change the itinerary and they were lucky that about a month later they already had a dry dock planned so they could address the problem then.

Cleary, the fix to the problem has nothing to do with the expertise of the crew as they are not the ones who fix the problem. And, I can assure you that Celebrity or any other cruise line does not want to lose revenue associated with this problem, does not want to face losing current or potential passenger's, would rather not have to give credits, etc. so I am sure that they are not happy about the situation. For anyone to just say that they don't care or don't want to fix the problem makes no sense. I'm sure we have all experienced some problem with a car or at our home or with something we owned that either took multiple times to be fixed or in the end just required more maintenance than what was desired on a regular basis.

Keith

They may not be marine engineers - but they are on the ground - so to speak.

They all must have some engineering in their background or they would not be a ships officer. In that section.

They do have a clue.

More than someone on the sideline throwing darts.

I got a 1/2 hour talk from one of the officers a few years back about this specific problem.

They know what it is.

They know how to monitor it.

They know what the fix would be.

Ship out of commission for a good long time.

I would hope posters get more information before they post thing that are just not true.

They may not be marine engineers - but they are on the ground - so to speak.

They all must have some engineering in their background or they would not be a ships officer. In that section.

They do have a clue.

More than someone on the sideline throwing darts.

I got a 1/2 hour talk from one of the officers a few years back about this specific problem.

They know what it is.

They know how to monitor it.

They know what the fix would be.

Ship out of commission for a good long time.

I would hope posters get more information before they post thing that are just not true.

LOL. So, the folks who work on the Celebrity cruise ships not only know what the problem is but they know also know the fix. So, the ships are not fixed so that Celebrity can lose revenue, give credits, lose loyal passenger's to other lines, and get bad publicity as having unreliable cruise ships. Does that really make sense?

As I said, other cruise lines have experienced similar problems and it is unfortunate that they have not bee fully corrected but I'm sure the solution is not due to lack of trying.

Keith

Realizing that the Constellation is a Millennium class...is it true that it has not experienced these problems? I sure hope such is the case as we are booked on it in November and I assured my wife that the problem was contained to the Summit. If not...I aniticpate getting my grapes crushed.

Can anyone shed any light on the efficiency of the Constellation???

Since the Constellation entered service in May,2002,there has never been a pod problem-the only M class ship not to have this problem.I still believe a good part of this good fortune belongs to that part of the crew that works everyday with this area of the ship

Since the Constellation entered service in May,2002,there has never been a pod problem-the only M class ship not to have this problem.I still believe a good part of this good fortune belongs to that part of the crew that works everyday with this area of the ship

Not sure I can accept your conclusion that Constellation's crew are what keep her going. But, she is the newest of the M-class ships, is she not? Possible, me thinks, that the pod manufacturer had worked out some problems by then and delivered Celebrity a superior product versus what was installed on the three prior M ships.

And

Realizing that the Constellation is a Millennium class...is it true that it has not experienced these problems? I sure hope such is the case as we are booked on it in November and I assured my wife that the problem was contained to the Summit. If not...I aniticpate getting my grapes crushed.

Can anyone shed any light on the efficiency of the Constellation???

Yes. The Constellation has not had pod problems.

But the Connie has not been doing the log extended runs.

The Infinity had the problem because of the Hawaii runs.

Long periods when the engines and turn drives were running.

Longboysfan,

Using new technology does present problems, but this technology is not that new. Perhaps, as you say, the type of usage is new with long extended runs like Hawaii. Bet if we could check the hours of each ship between overhauls the Connie has the lowest usage (check the San Juan run to all the close by islands during the winter). No company wants problems like this. Especially one that lives or dies based on providing quality and reliable customer sevice.

Not sure I can accept your conclusion that Constellation's crew are what keep her going. But, she is the newest of the M-class ships, is she not? Possible, me thinks, that the pod manufacturer had worked out some problems by then and delivered Celebrity a superior product versus what was installed on the three prior M ships.

image.php?u=176500&dateline=1146596455

Baltigator...Do let me know how you enjoy the Constellation this August. We are looking forward to being on it this November....Also, let me know the next time you are on the Eastern Shore (St. Michaels). Your fellow Gator!

Longboysfan,

Using new technology does present problems, but this technology is not that new. Perhaps, as you say, the type of usage is new with long extended runs like Hawaii. Bet if we could check the hours of each ship between overhauls the Connie has the lowest usage (check the San Juan run to all the close by islands during the winter). No company wants problems like this. Especially one that lives or dies based on providing quality and reliable customer sevice.

Your right.

But the company that put in the pods was either new to installing them.

or

This was the first of it's type installed.

From the offices explain about the problem - long run's.

Archived