Any thoughts on the Alaska TourSaver book?

smariner

We are going on an Alaskan cruise next month (on RCL's Vision of the Seas) & were wondering if the "Alaskan Toursaver" book will help us save money on shore excursions.

Has anyone used this book (www.TourSaver.com) to save on shore excursions? The cost of the book is $99. I searched through this website, but didn't find any reviews on the book.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

check out the Alaska threads.We went to Alaska in May/June of 04,and I saw many threads then on this book.Some ppl liked it,I guess it depends on what you plan on doing in ALaska.We felt that it would not have helped us.Some ppl talked of buying it on Ebay too.

In Juneau,we did a helicopter/glacier trek,and it was awesome! In Ketchican,we did Misty Fjords float plane with Michelle and Island Wings.It was incredible,and she was wonderful! In Skagway,we did the WhitePass train,and it was fun,with some beautiful scenery of its own.

Alaska is beautiful! I know you will love it.We want to go back soon.I have to take the Capt Larry Whale watch tour! It gets great reviews too. Dot

We have purchased the book. We are using several coupons for our per cruise touring and lodging. The savings will more than pay for itself. I did not see anything we would use while we were actually cruising

After your trip, please do NOT throw out your used Toursaver books! Remember to sell them--they are worth a fair amount on the open market! I, for example, would certainly buy it from you! :)

We purchased tour saver books last year and have again this year. In my opinion, it's very much worth it if you're planning on touring the interior of Alaska and simply go on one flightseeing excursion. There's also options for cruise only such as: Ketchikan: Southeast Sea Kayaks (2for1 $80 - 2 1/2 hour Pennock Paddling Adventure) We did that excursion last year and had so much fun and $40 is a great price!! Also in Skagway there's a couple options. In Junea there's an option for Glacier Gardens. I understand it's a good option. The regular rate is around $20 so 2 for 1 makes a good option. If you're going to Sitka, the Rapture Center is included in the book.

Bottom line, if I was just doing the cruise, I really don't think it's worth it because of the cost of the book. If you're doing a land tour, then by all means, it's a great way of saving a lot of money!

I have used toursaver for years and highly recommend it for INTERIOR Alaska independent travelers. It can be useful for others, just factor out the costs. I always save over $500 and most often much more. Be aware of expirations and restrictions. Always reserve in advance and MENTION the coupon.

If only going to use one coupon for flightseeing- be aware you may not go due to cancelations. My trip last year had 4 reschedules and never did go. :) There is a big resale market to consider, can not advertize remember. :)

Are the individual coupons good for more than just one 2 for 1. Are they good for up to six people in your party like a restaurant coupon? Thanks.

NOPE, one time use, if you have 6 people , you need 3 books.

we are using the toursaver for 2 for 1 nights in anchorage & renoun fjords in seward. and then plan on using some of the our coupons in anchorage

just the fjords alone is worth buying the book it is $150 per person and we are getting 2 for 1

we are returning home on aug 5 and will put the remainder on ebay for whatever

we are using the toursaver for 2 for 1 nights in anchorage & renoun fjords in seward. and then plan on using some of the our coupons in anchorage

just the fjords alone is worth buying the book it is $150 per person and we are getting 2 for 1

I am using the Toursaver book for several items but one of them is not hotels in Anchorage. I found, at least for late June, the cheapest rates I found at comparable hotels were less than half of the prices of the hotels listed in toursaver, thus negating the toursaver savings. YMMV depending on dates and prices but just be sure to compare.

I am using the Toursaver book for several items but one of them is not hotels in Anchorage. I found, at least for late June, the cheapest rates I found at comparable hotels were less than half of the prices of the hotels listed in toursaver, thus negating the toursaver savings. YMMV depending on dates and prices but just be sure to compare.

I have never found any bargains at toursaver hotels. Since I like B&B's these are always a cost saving option. It is also a good idea to think carefully and don't get caught up in staying 2 nights in a location that would better be in one. Especially with people who just don't have the extra time for what they ideally want to do.

Which specific Renown Tours cruise will you be doing in Seward--the 6-hr Kenai NP cruise?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

our family is going this aug.

anyone spare a coupon for pikes landing or a restaurant/activiteis in fairbanks?

this will help off set the costs. Thanks. email me

thanks

Barry

From what I understand, you need to show the whole book - not just a coupon out of the book.

nancy,

bummer....but if not we'll still take a coupon or two.

Thanks

I used 3 coupons. I will post the book for sale on ebay this week, unless some one wants to make me an offer.. the coupons used.. one for horse trekkin, the denali cabin one.. and the renown 6 hour tour.. all the rest are in tact.. and I will toss in 10 unused internet minutes, that is on a credit card as well.. used it in ketchican.. right across the street from where we docked.

Jim

I used 3 coupons. I will post the book for sale on ebay this week, unless some one wants to make me an offer.. the coupons used.. one for horse trekkin, the denali cabin one.. and the renown 6 hour tour.. all the rest are in tact.. and I will toss in 10 unused internet minutes, that is on a credit card as well.. used it in ketchican.. right across the street from where we docked.

Jim

Keep listing them Toursavers! There always seems to be 5-10 of them for sale at a time nowadays. Unfortunately, the one coupon I really need (the 6-hr Renown Kenai Fjords NP tour) is often used already. :(

Advice please. You order the toursaver book over the internet, then make your own reservations at hotels,tours, etc and mention you have the coupon? When you arrive you then show the coupon book? Have you ever been told they won't accept the coupon or are fully booked at the toursaver

2 for 1?

Thanks

lke

You MUST mention that you want to book using a toursaver coupon at the time of reservation. The book must remain intact and the vender tears out the coupon.

Yes, certainly, the venders put limits on coupon usage and hotels, flightseeing , especially will "sell out". I never use toursaver for lodging- I find cheaper lodging using B&B's. Also many people get caught up in the 2 for 1 deal and make plans based on the lodging rather than on touring, finding themselves in locations that aren't of big interest for 2 days, or short amount of time that tying up 2 days is one too many.

[Cruise Critic's policy has always prohibited advertising in any form on all of our message board forums, including our Ports of Call boards.] Previously Posted by Host Caroline. I guess some people forgot or just plain ignore the rules.

[shame one you......Cruise Critic's policy has always prohibited advertising in any form on all of our message board forums, including our Ports of Call boards.] Previously Posted by Host Caroline. I guess some people forgot or just plain ignore the rules.
Is it really necessary to chastise people when they have already figured out that they can't mine for prospects on this board? Also I believe the "advertising" reference made by Host Caroline was in reference to a vendor getting on here and soliciting for customers. I didn't see any posts on this thread from the vendors listed in the book talking about how great they are or stating that their services are listed in the book. Of course - I guess this could be considered advertising in someone eyes.

Personnally I see nothing wrong with people reselling their toursaver books - but since it is the policy of CC that it not be done here then Ebay is a great alternative. Unfortunately some have not been on this board long enough to know where to find them/sell them - so I see no harm/no foul when someone asks as long as after they are told they can't buy/sell here they don't continue to post about it - so I don't feel anyone should feel any shame over what has been said here.

Archived