Tracy Arm

Perseids

Tracy Arm is a glaciated u-shaped valley that leads to the twin Sawyer glaciers. The water inside is smooth and protected. In many ways, it will remind you of a water-filled Yosemite Valley.

Kenai Fjords starts in Resurrection Bay/Seward and enters the park at the mouth of the bay. Seas can vary from glassy to some rather large swells, expecially near the Chiswell Islands. Rather than a protected valley, you sail through portion of open ocean and protected fjords.

Both are excellent and each is different but the wildlife viewing is much higher at Kenai Fjords. Furthermore, Kenai Fjords is a national park while Tracy Arm is not. Can't go wrong on either one.

Early rising is not hard right now since it gets light around 4am :)

As mentioned in other posts, you might try the half-day trips out of Whittier.

The scenery is dynamite, the glaciers are active, and you are a lot closer to Anchorage.

Early rising is not hard right now since it gets light around 4am :)

you ever try to convince my wife that rising @ 4am while on vacation is a "good idea"? ;)

The half-days out of Whittier are PWS or Resurrection Bay?

Yeah, unless you have blackout curtains, early rising is the norm up here in the summer. Beats the winter when we don't see the sun until 10am:D

Seriously, those half day cruises from Whittier into Prince William Sound are great and avoid the longer trip to Seward. The major players are 26 Glaciers Tour (http://www.26glaciers.com), Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours (http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com), and Major Marine (http://www.majormarine.com). It's also value season right now so rates are a little lower until June 15.

They all depart around 1:00pm and get you back to Whittier by 4:30pm. 26 Glaciers goes into College Fjords and Barry Arm where there actually are 26 glaciers, some quite active. Prince William Sound does two trips - one to Barry Arm and its glaciers plus Esther Passage (this one leaves at 11am), the other to Blackstone Bay (1pm) and the glaciers in the area; Major Marine follows the same route at about the same time but offers an option salmon/prime rib buffet for $15.00.

The waters are much calmer than in Kenai Fjords but the cruises are excellent with a greater focus on glaciers. You will probably still see wildlife.

All companies also offer option bus transfer, train transfer for the 1pm cruises, or you can rent a car for the day and go on your own. Allow two hours to get to Whittier and there is a $12.00 fee to drive through the tunnel (got to see it to believe it). When you make reservations, they will advise you of the appropriate tunnel time (going into Whittier it is on the half-hour). No need to get to Whittier too early since there's not much to see. Instead stop at the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Lake and check out the exhibits that explain the environment of Prince William Sound

Weather right now is gorgeous up here with temps expected in the 70s. However, on all these cruises, bring along sweatshirts, coats, and some gloves if you plan to be outside since it can get cold at the glaciers.

These are the trips I take my geography college students on from the University of Alaska Anchorage; as such, highly recommended.

Thanks for the info. unfortunately I am back to 'screwed' unless I completely toss reservations and car rental in Anchorage and instead overnite in Seward. I think I am again ready to fall on my sword!

Unless I convince everyone to go to bed REALLY early the nite before to prepare for an early rising and departure from Anchorage(not likely).

It is looking like Tracy Arm is practically our only alternative for a quality glacier tour. I even considered extending our time in AK by one day.. but to change flights cost $100 pp. The unfortunate side of Tracy Arm is that will 'eat' up the entire day and at this point I feel as though I will be 'settling' for something less. But I have gathered taht both Portage glacier and Blackstone are less than thrilling....

I have learned something though....

DO NOT MAKE ANY RESERVATIONS UNTIL YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! You will end up screwing yourself.....

you ever try to convince my wife that rising @ 4am while on vacation is a "good idea"? ;)

If some guy is trying to convince your wife to get out of bed AT ANY TIME you should really be upset! LOL What are they doing there anyway?

BTW-maybe you could convince her to stay up until 4 and then go to bed ;)

enjoy

-Monte

Thanks for reposting those links. I love to recommend the Prince William Sound tours because they're better known to locals than visitors to the state. I've taught college level geography up here for over 30 years and use these trips and tour operators extensively for my summer classes and their geography lab.

The glaciers on the Blackstone Bay trips are really special and easily the equivalent of any glaciers you will see in Kenai Fjords in size and action. What sets Kenai Fjords apart is the increased amount of wildlife. However, if you go into College Fjord, Barry Arm, or Harriman Fjord with 26 Glaciers or Prince William Sound tours, those glaciers are usually quite active and the 12,000 foot Chugach Mountains rising behind them is quite a sight. You will see sea otters, bald eagles, and perhaps orca, black bear, and a humpback whale.

Compared to these, the Portage Glacier trip can be a letdown for some but it's still a good glacier.

For what it is worth, today would be a beautiful day in Prince William Sound.

It's crystal clear and 75 degrees in Anchorage and supposed to hold through Memorial Day. MtMcKinley is even visible from Anchorage and it's 180 miles from town.

The Tracy Arm excursion through Adventure Bound ranks as my favorite excursion in Alaska. I would do this again in a heart beat! If you do a search on Adventure Bound on this board, you will find some raving reviews.

The Tracy Arm excursion through Adventure Bound ranks as my favorite excursion in Alaska. I would do this again in a heart beat! If you do a search on Adventure Bound on this board, you will find some raving reviews.

Thank you both (Coral and Chenega) so much! I feel better about Tracy Arm now, as well as Blackstone and others vs Kenai Fjords.

I am really through obsessing and over anguishing over this :). I am happy with our itinerary and we will have a blast!

These trips are all different, but certainly top choices. :) Given my preferences, Kenai Fjords and PWS beat out Tracy Arm.

I personally love Kenai fjords since the wildlife is my first priority. I've had the good fortune to see a lot of glaciers too on many trips.

It's a tough choice, but you have given some big words of wisdom- think carefully re planning, and don't jump too soon. It's a common factor, I see in my private emails. Alaska is exciting- but do your homework, then do it again. Every time- you will refine and refine, change and change again. In the end you will have a superb trip planned out!!!!!!!!!!!

You have gotten plenty of good information. Sit down with a list and your wife. Maybe the early am won't be so bad with the big reward at the end. :)

I stumbled across them yesterday. After much agonizing over trying to find a glacier cruise that would fit into our schedule I found them and called. We chose the Blackstone Glacier Cruise. They are very flexible and will leave anytime you want to schedule. The gal I talked to said we would be the only 4 on the boat so it should be a personal experience. And since it is only 3 hours long we will not be harried to make it back to Anchorage for our flight.

Thanks Chenega!! It was something you said in your post that I was researching with google and just stumbled across them!

Again thanks to EVERYONE who posted with suggestions and comments!

Hopefully in a little over 2 weeks I will be back to post a raving review! :)

I stumbled across them yesterday. After much agonizing over trying to find a glacier cruise that would fit into our schedule I found them and called. We chose the Blackstone Glacier Cruise. They are very flexible and will leave anytime you want to schedule. The gal I talked to said we would be the only 4 on the boat so it should be a personal experience. And since it is only 3 hours long we will not be harried to make it back to Anchorage for our flight.

Thanks Chenega!! It was something you said in your post that I was researching with google and just stumbled across them!

Again thanks to EVERYONE who posted with suggestions and comments!

Hopefully in a little over 2 weeks I will be back to post a raving review! :)

You're welcome! I asked my wife about them and she said they are run by a local couple who live in Whittier.

Good deal is that you get to go to Blackstone Glacier which is one of the best in the area. There was lots of glacial calving last week.

Archived