Jane 110...are you back and did you have a good cruise?

Lois R

:) Hi Jane....I know you went on Princess to the Baltics earlier in the month...
lots of changes since you left....(on here)...

Are you back? Did you and hubby have a good time? Would love to hear (read) about it!!

I'm flattered that any of you noticed I was gone. Thank you! (or perhaps some of you were just basking in quiet of my absence) :-)

Anyway, yes, we're back as of about 36 hours ago, from our first Princess cruise on their Grand Princess ship. We had a very good time. As this is the fashionboard, I'll keep comments focused on the fashion aspect.

We had a lovely time - though the weather wasn't the best. Chilly and rainy in many of the ports - not heavy downpours, just drizzle. I did get to sit on our balcony in a few of the ports - but just for a short time.

It was a fashion nightmare with the calendar saying one thing and the temperature saying another! Walking around in cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, I saw people wearing anything from lightweight woolen wintercoats to short sleeved tee shirts. Boots to sandals. And this was the locals...not travelers confined to what they had brought along!

I packed really well for this trip. Other than a few evening tops that never got worn, I was happy with the choices I made.

For daytime in ports I had long sleeved cotton or linen blouses that I layered over a color coordinated tee - sometimes a tank, sometimes long-sleeved. I brought 2 cashmere cable-knit pullovers (black & pink) that I wore alot. Also I was thankful that I brought 2 pashmina shawls (blk & hot pink) and one silk shawl (gold/orange/brown) - all these did double duty as scarves around my neck during the day and then over my shoulders at night aboard ship. Just days before the cruise I found a cotton lined yellow rain slicker w/ hood that I bought on the spur of the moment. I'm SO glad I did.......I wound up wearing it everyday in ports. For shoes, I brought a pair of black microfibers that are great in the rain and just can't be ruined as well as a pair of butterscotch patent leather loafers for non-rain days. Once back aboard ship I switched to flat sandals for daytime.

BTW, I know that many here talk about buying the fake pashmina shawls. I don't advise it if you're looking for warmth. You need the cashmere/silk blend. Rayon may be pretty in the carribbean over a summer dress, but it won't keep you warm if the weather is chilly.

For evenings aboard ship, I was happy with what I brought. For the 2 formal nights I brought 2 black dresses. One long and one mid-calf length - both quite dressy. (other choices got left at home because they either took up too much room in the suitcase or their accessories did) I was as dressy as anyone else and DH brought a pinstriped DB suit with 2 elegant shirts and ties. For the other evenings I had a nice selection of pant outfits (creme silk pants w/ gold silk jacket & matching tank-top) black crepe pants w/ magenta silk chinese jacket & blk tank top), a black georgette skirt w/ dressy black top, etc. For shoes I wore either black d'orsay cut high heels or high heeled gold sandals.

I had a lovely facial at the spa one day and a back/neck/shoulder massage on another day. I could have used a manicure 3/4 through the cruise, but I just can't see spending $45. (plus tip) on one! We were in Gdansk, Poland and found a salon where the manicures were $5.00, but the lady giving them was going to be busy for at least an hour w/ appt's. so I skipped doing it. Glad I wear white polish on my hands! <vbg>

Our last two days post cruise were in Zurich where it was warm and sunny and I pulled the tank-tops out of the bottom of the suitcase for a wearing.

So that's my Baltic fashion report. Anyone going there, pack 2 umbrella's - you'll need the second one after the wind blows the first one inside out and breaks the spokes! LOL!!!

Happy cruising!

Jane

[color=darkorchid]Hey...I am glad you had such a good time...and even though this is a fashion board, you can expand on the cruise itself a bit (if you want):) . Did you and hubby enjoy Princess?[/color]

[color=#9932cc]Your outfits sound like they were perfect:D but I figured you would know what to wear...and how to wear it too;) .[/color]

[color=#9932cc]Nice to see you again and welcome back:) [/color]

Jane, congratulations on your wardrobe choices. As for the yellow slicker, I have often found that the last, impulsive item I toss in the suitcase turns out to be indispensable. I'm in the final phases of packing for an Alaska cruise tour and am expecting weather from the upper '80s to the low '50s, much like your trip. It sounds like you used layering to carry you through.

I haven't been to Copenhagen since 1975, but I thought it was a lovely city. The other ports sound like they were rich in history and culture as well.

Welcome back!
Ann

HI Lois,

Yes, I did enjoy Princess overall, but hindsight being 20/20, I would not have chosen this ship (Grand Princess) to take this cruise.
When we first chose this itinerary, I looked for a Celebrity cruise (have done 2 in the past and liked them), but Celebrity had no availability for the dates we wanted, so we went with Princess. (was not interested in HAL since I went on a HAL cruise once and didn't particularly like that line).

The problem is where the ship has to dock in the ports. A ship this size (2600 pax) has to dock in the "boonies" so while the pax from other smaller ships can just walk off the ship and be in the heart of the city, we had to take transport to the city itself. Sometimes this was a shuttle or a bus at extra cost - but more importantly, lost time - or a train. The Stockholm port was a nightmare. We docked in Nynashamn, an hour south of the city, and had to be tendered to shore. Well 2600 pax and only 3 tenders made for a long wait, then add to that an hour's train ride to Stockholm, made the total day's travel time, 4 hours (2 hours each way) giving us only 5 hours in Stockholm. (BTW, Northbound's info was great. I hope she saw the thank-you I posted to her in another section).

The other problem was that Princess chose to give us only short days in most of the ports, so to get to a port at 7:00AM (when nothing is open yet) and have to leave by 1:00PM, was very annoying. Seems that cruise ships pay by the hour to dock and perhaps Princess is saving money by cutting time in port??? They cut an hour off a port with no explaination or apology.

Having two full days in St. Petersburg was wonderful and DH and I hired a private tour guide with another couple so we weren't stuck with an itinerary we didn't want or having to be on a bus with 100 others. We changed plans in the middle of the day according our wishes and it turned out great. Also, the company we used (Red October) whisked us past lines of hundreds waiting to get into the Hermitage as well as other palaces. We got to see more than those on group tours as well as having the place to ourselves by being admitted to Catherine's Palace before it even opened to the public.

That said, I would consider cruising with Princess again, but probably on an itinerary where the ports where not that important to me (i.e. carribbean) or on one of their smaller ships (and then read the itinerary much more carefully) The ship itself was nice, our mini-suite cabin w/ verandah was roomy, pleasant and comfortable, shipboard range of activities was good (I took a computer class, yoga class, wine tasting seminar, gambled and enjoyed the spa), the service of most of the staff was good (though the people at the purser's desk couldn't solve a problem or answer a question if their life depended on it) and the food was good and dining room service was excellent. The evening entertainment was excellent and on the overnight in St. Petersburg, they brought in a local group from a St. Petersburg nightclub to entertain and they were wonderful. Everyone was raving. Another night was a musical song/dance review from hit Broadway shows and I was really impressed with the professional level of the onboard perfomers.

Bar drinks and wine prices were fairly priced but the coffee on Princess was the worst I ever had. Paying extra for a cappuccino didn't help matters - it was the same awful "brew" (use that term loosely) with some hot milk in it. If I go again on Princess, I'm bring a coffeemaker and coffee with me!

You asked. I wrote. :-)

Mezzaluna - yes, you're right. Sometimes those last minute decisions and purchases are the best. I packed an extra cahsmere sweater and pashimina moments before leaving and used them both alot!

Jane

[font=Tahoma][size=3][color=darkorchid]Hi Jane! Sounds like you had a good time, other than the problems with the port..that does sound like it could have been annoying for sure.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3][color=#9932cc]I have never sailed Princess...but when I was on the Mercury in March there was a Princess ship on the same itinerary...I can't recall which ship it was...but she looked...the term that comes to mind is "HUMONGOUS"....[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Tahoma][size=3][color=#9932cc]She looked SO BIG...especially compared to Mercury or the HAL ship that was there too.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3][color=#9932cc]I will be on a really[size=1] little ship;) [/size][size=3]in September LOL....going on the Horizon...she is only about 45, 000 tons and holds 1350 pax! I can't wait to visit Bermuda! This will be the first time in 4 cruises I think I am wearing clothing I already have in my closet!....I figure I don't get to wear these clothes very often...and I love them...so as of this point I am not spending more money on new stuff![/size][/color][/size][/font]

Hi Lois,

Funny how perceptions are.

I've sailed on the Horizon and with 1350 passengers consider her a big ship....though you're right, the Princess "Grand class" with 2600 pax does make it seem "small".

I personally prefer a small ship - Oceania, with 600 passengers is just perfect for my tastes. I would have taken Oceania for the Baltics - however, we sailed on Oceania last summer (Spain/Portugal/France) and will be on one again in Feb. (Argentina/Brazil) and honestly, their prices just didn't fit into the vacation budget right now with the amount we like to travel (went to Australia in Jan and will be going to Prague in Sept.) so we had to cut somewhere.

BTW, my first cruise, on Renaissance, held only 114 passengers max. I LOVED it!

I'm sure you'll like the Horizon very much. How great you won't need to buy any clothes for the cruise either...........but knowing your passion for shopping, I'm sure you'll find SOMETHING new you have to have to bring along! :-)

Jane

[color=darkorchid]Hi Jane:) ..the Horizon sails out of Norfolk, VA but if I ever cruise out of NY I will let you know![/color]
[color=#9932cc]I understand what you mean about the perception of ships though....when I think of LARGE...what comes to mind are the "Voyager Class" on Royal. I believe some of those hold 3100 passengers...that is BIG.[/color]
[color=#9932cc]Your cruise on Princess was BIG too.[/color]
[color=#9932cc]I have sailed on Century and Mercury...those are perfect for me. Not too big or too small.[/color]
[color=#9932cc]I know Horizon is even smaller but I have friends who have sailed her and all their comments have been great:D . I cannot wait!!![/color]

Lois,

Yes, Horizon is a nice ship and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Didn't know there was a Norfolk to Bermuda run. Great for you Floridians!

Okay, we'll save the "Bon Voyage" cocktail for when you cruise out of the Big Apple. Look forward to it!

Jane

Archived