Formal Nights

Okay, I understand the smart casual night.

We are sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas, (we've been on Carnival 1 time), does RCCL enforce suit or tux on formal nights. I'll be lucky to get all my "boys" in dress shirts and pants, I don't think I can get them to wear ties! I want to enjoy the dining room experience and formal nights. Please help!?!

For formal night it is expected that men will be in tuxedos or suits. For boys I think shirts and ties are acceptable (my opinion only). Unfortunately, RCCL doesn't often enforce the dress code which can leave you sitting next to a guy in dockers and a t-shirt...

We've never had folks in dockers in the dining room on Formal night. Some wear suits that aren't black (or even dark), but at least they're suits! Yes--get the kids in a jacket if possible! It's good to conform once in awhile! They can change after dinner, if they must! Once they get a few compliments, I bet they won't be so reticent about the whole thing!

I may sound a little simplistic, BUT.....just tell the "boys" that it's a rule to dress up for formal night and rules cannot be broken (OK.....I know.....it's really a SUGGESTED dress code, but if the "boys" are children or teens, it is a GREAT opportunity to enforce respect for guidelines and rules).

If the "boys" you are referring to are really adults, there are other dining options if they don't want to dress up.

<stepping off soap box>:rolleyes:

We are sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas, (we've been on Carnival 1 time), does RCCL enforce suit or tux on formal nights. I'll be lucky to get all my "boys" in dress shirts and pants, I don't think I can get them to wear ties! I want to enjoy the dining room experience and formal nights. Please help!?!

I was on the Rhapsody in April. You asked if RCCL enforces suit or tux on formal nights. The answer is no.

I've told the story before of my friend who is a rough construction worker and hardly ever wore a suit. His wife bought him one for the cruise. They got a beautiful formal picture taken before dinner, that hangs in their living room today. He dressed for the first formal night because his wife asked him to and they had brought the suit. The second formal night, he put it on without being asked. He told me, he really enjoyed it, especially when everyone else was dressed up. He felt it was part of the cruise experience. He was proud and happy he did it for himself and his wife.

To answer your question, no, they probably won't enforce the "suggested" dress code any more than to require long pants and a decent shirt. That said, what do you expect to "experience" if your "boys" aren't dressing the part of formal night? If they won't even wear ties, when the "suggested" dress is a dark suit and tie, or TUXEDO, then how do you expect to "experience" anything different from any other casual night? It'd be like taking a portable DVD player to a Broadway show, and watching a movie. Yes, you're there, but you aren't "experiencing" the show. JMHO.

Shirts and ties for children and young men is fine. My son wore this on formal night for several cruises up until he was 18 (went to college, got poor, we won't pay anymore...:D ).

Tell your boys what my son told him friend on a cruise once, when the friend got balky about dressing up: you gotta dress right to get the REALLY GOOD food in the dining room. Holds true for Chops and Portofino's if they are on your ship, also.

When he was younger, and let Mom dress him more, I went to the thrift store and bought two jackets for him. They didn't fit perfectly, but he looked very nice for an extra $20 for the two jackets.

My sons weren't thrilled with the idea of dressing up either. In fact the oldest (then 15) was going to "stay in the cabin and order room service". Then we went shopping... when the youngest two (then 11 & 12) tried on suits at JC Penney it was a riot! They were striking poses and couldn't stop looking at themselves in the mirror (they look so grown up). Then the oldest gave in as well. They all had a great time and really enjoyed fully participating in formal night. We leave in a week for their second cruise, and they are all wearing tuxes (willingly).

Archived