I don't get the big deal about aft balconies!?!?!?

Just wondering why so many people rave about having an aft balcony. I understand they are bigger and that's great, however everyone I have seen (all Voyager class) has had tons of space and bars between the balcony and the actual ocean. I think it ruins the view. At least a balcony on the side you have a railing that directly overlooks the water. I can't see the draw of the views off the aft............. Am I missing something?

~Jen

Just wondering why so many people rave about having an aft balcony. I understand they are bigger and that's great, however everyone I have seen (all Voyager class) has had tons of space and bars between the balcony and the actual ocean. I think it ruins the view. At least a balcony on the side you have a railing that directly overlooks the water. I can't see the draw of the views off the aft............. Am I missing something?

~Jen

I agree. Aside from the larger balcony (how big does it have to be?), so what. A midship and or hump cabin is much more to my liking.

Hi Jenand Gene,

Not all the ships have those large vertical rails/beams that I think you are referring to as bars. The aft balconies we have had all had great views and none had those railings you are referring to. Some people really use their balconies, prefer to sun there rather than by the pool or on one of the open sun decks. We like to sit out in the late evening or night and enjoy watching the wake of the ship that is often illuminated by the moonlight. No, it is not a big deal but we like like it. Guess that is why there are so many different cabins and ships. Enough to go around for everyone and enough differences to suit everyone too. Some folks do not like balconies at all, or they prefer inside cabins since they happen to spend very little time in their cabins. Or they they feel that a balcony is frivolous and prefer to spend their money on other things. Guess it just all boils down to personal preference. In either case I hope everyone that cruises will always have a great and memorable cruise vacation.

Oh and by the way, someone who knows, please tell us, are they aft cabins or are they stern cabins? I read somewhere than an aft cabin is a cabin that is towards the rear of the ship, but a stern cabin is a cabin that is actually at the rear of the ship and for instance if you are on the balcony, you would be looking at the wake of the ship. I have always referred to it as an aft cabin. Guess since I like them so much I should learn the proper term for it.

Annieeee

Hi Jenand Gene,

Not all the ships have those large vertical rails/beams that I think you are referring to as bars. The aft balconies we have had all had great views and none had those railings you are referring to. Some people really use their balconies, prefer to sun there rather than by the pool or on one of the open sun decks. We like to sit out in the late evening or night and enjoy watching the wake of the ship that is often illuminated by the moonlight. No, it is not a big deal but we like like it. Guess that is why there are so many different cabins and ships. Enough to go around for everyone and enough differences to suit everyone too. Some folks do not like balconies at all, or they prefer inside cabins since they happen to spend very little time in their cabins. Or they they feel that a balcony is frivolous and prefer to spend their money on other things. Guess it just all boils down to personal preference. In either case I hope everyone that cruises will always have a great and memorable cruise vacation.

Annieeee

I totally agree, we spend a lot of time on our balcony, the view is perfect, we like having room for a table and lounge chairs. we also enjoy watching the wake at night. While people are fighting over chair hogs by the pool we just go to our aft balcony, when we can get one.

I've been reading a lot about aft cabins since I started reading CC.

My question is, how far in advance do you have to book these coveted cabins, and while I'm thinking about it, I'm also curious about "hump" cabins?

We'll be on the Mariner in 2 weeks (from today!), and if we decide to book while on board for summer 2007, do you think all the good aft and hump cabins will already be booked on the Voyager class ships? We're interested in doing a Western route next; either out of Miami or Port Canavaral.

I've been reading a lot about aft cabins since I started reading CC.

My question is, how far in advance do you have to book these coveted cabins, and while I'm thinking about it, I'm also curious about "hump" cabins?

We'll be on the Mariner in 2 weeks (from today!), and if we decide to book while on board for summer 2007, do you think all the good aft and hump cabins will already be booked on the Voyager class ships? We're interested in doing a Western route next; either out of Miami or Port Canavaral.

I have also been reading alot about Aft cabins and when I called Rc last month to book our Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami for December they told us they had Aft 1688 open and would we like it ? We jumped at it since we have never had a Aft cabin and have heard so many great things about them! :D I see alot of people book way in advance for these cabins. I think you should book it while you are on your next cruise that way you get a great cabin and a credit too :) Have a great time on your cruise .

Kimberly :cool:

Voyager 12/16/06 Western Caribbean

Voyager 11/26/05 Eastern Caribbean

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90 Mexico

We'll have to let you know next year, we have our first aft/stern balcony booked for next Christmas! I'm very much looking forward to our mornings with coffee and our sea days on our large balcony :)

While we were pricing out cabins for this cruise, we found that we could get one of these cabins for only slightly more than 2 outside (no balcony) cabins. While we aren't crazy for having our kids (teens) in the cabin with us, the larger balcony will be a big plus. My sister and her DH have the cabin next to us, so we'll all have a great place to hang out together.

Anieeee (had to count those "e's"!) I've always read of them as aft cabins, but I think you're right, technically they should be considered stern cabins. After all, all the cabins in the last third of the ship would be considered aft cabins, right :confused: It's kind of taken on a new meaning to refer to them as such, most people know what you're saying when you say "aft cabin". Like facial tissue always referred to as Kleenex.

We've seen pictures of one of our actual cabins and the balcony is as large as the cabin itself. I love the wake of the ship, I've read that you can feel some vibration, but I happen to enjoy that, too. I like to be able to feel the motion of the ocean on a cruise. If not, I just feel like we're staying in a hotel.

Anyway, can't wait :D :D

We didn't get it either. Yes, you have a bigger balcony but all you see is what is behind you. I like to also see what is in front of me. We fell in love with the hump cabins last cruise and will try for 1 of them from now on. Have 1060 booked for our Brilliance cruise and cannot wait to see it!

We had our first aft cabin on our last cruise and got one for our next cruise next March. I love it because besides the huge balcony and the long walk ( burns calories, LOL) the hallways were so peaceful and quiet because there is very little traffic back there.

~Jen

The corner afts, especially on decks 10, 9, and 8 don't have as much of the framework visible; you'd need to be looking towards the center of the ship to notice. But when I'm on that balcony I'm looking at the overall view -- not at the framework. I also like being "way up there" with all the space below me because I prefer a high view.

Here's one of views I like from 9390:

354570211HrCdZF_th.jpg

Note that 9390/9690 also only has a partition on one side (separating the balcony of the next cabin). On the other side, where the huge porthole looks out, there's no opposite wall or partition on the balcony at all.

However, I'm not encouraging you nor anyone else to get an aft just for the sake of it -- because afts are hard enough to get for those of us who prefer them above all other cabins. Yes, please go for other cabins like the hump ones instead!

Has anyone experienced a lot of engine noise and vibration (along with ship movement) in cabins at the rear of the ship? We encountered this during some rough weather leaving and returning to Ft. Lauderdale on the Celebrity Millennium and it was very unnerving. It was our first cruise and we really did not know what to expect. We were in the last port side balcony cabin just before a row of stern suites. We understood the captain had to keep the engines revved up and the steering turned into the wind or something like that. I'm sure that is not technically correct but maybe someone can clarify. Not like the Millie was exactly an old bucket of bolts or anything. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that experience turned us off of the rear of the ship and we found our hump cabin on the Serenade to be much smoother and quieter, not to mention the convenience of being mid ship near elevators etc.

I like the idea of large balconys but can't get my mate to even consider the aft section of the ship again.

Two things for me...the bigger (much bigger in some cases) balcony and the Quiteness/Privacy.

Our last 6688 on Mariner,corner aft..Very nice shaped and large,of course the 2 loungers and table were great.as is the panoramic (two a degree)view to the back and the side.

On our far away Voyager sailing,I have 1690..Which is not corner,but one over,and still one of the largest baclonies.

Another great thing is a much larger balcony,a sometimes larger room..same price.Our 6688 was a E1..So I got a great balcony,at an E1 price.

Granted not all afts are created equal.On Mariner & Navigator you have that large grey deck area on 6..and you look down to the crew deck on 5 ,but rarely anyone there.And even though you cant see straight down..You still have a great view.On the ships that have metal instead of glass,you can't see anyway unless you are standing at the rail.

And lastly..Obviously you could get some rowdy neighbors anywhere..But there is so much less traffic and noise on the end...Its usually very peacefull.

To me the walk is relative..I mean you have to walk whereever you go..You could be in a deck 2 foward lifts...and need to go to the Viking Lounge...Still a long haul....

Have had side balconies..never a hump...I will always take an aft over a side until I am in a RFS or above:D

We will not book an aft cabin on a Voager class ship unless we can be on deck 10. I think that the best aft balconies are on the Radiance class ships. Another nice thing about the aft cabins is that there is no wind.:D

I booked an aft cabin in March for a btb on the Radiance for Nov. You need to call the cruiseline to ask if the cabins are available for the dates you want. Don't rely on what you see posted as being the only thing that is open.

carrie

Has anyone experienced a lot of engine noise and vibration (along with ship movement) in cabins at the rear of the ship?

On our Constellation transatlantic last month we had a corner aft family view cabin. The vibrations were so bad I had a lot of trouble getting any sleep the entire cruise. Felt like an earthquake at times. Yet I spoke to others who had a balcony located near the middle of the aft and they felt nothing. Go figure. There was definitely more motion back there during rough seas. Although we loved the HUGE balcony. Had three lounges, a table and four chairs. :D

We have stayed in a mid-ship junior suite on the Grandeur, a hump junior suite on the Mariner and an aft junior suite on the Grandeur (8086). We like the aft cabin on the Grandeur the best and in September will again be on the Grandeur in the aft cabin just 2 doors over from where we stayed last September (8586).

We did not noticed any engine (or other) noise in the aft cabin.

And, when you stand at the rail, you actually have a 180 degree view - not just aft.

to jules815 - I think that booking a year in advance you should have a good chance to get an aft cabin. I've been surprised that they do not sell out faster than they do.

Great news for me, Adam....On Tuesday, my TA will be checking for an aft JS on the Grandeur. Since we may be doing the Canada/NE itinerary next September, I think the aft balcony will give us great protection if there's any windy/rainy/chilly weather as we head north. ;)

We have stayed in a mid-ship junior suite on the Grandeur, a hump junior suite on the Mariner and an aft junior suite on the Grandeur (8086). We like the aft cabin on the Grandeur the best and in September will again be on the Grandeur in the aft cabin just 2 doors over from where we stayed last September (8586).We did not noticed any engine (or other) noise in the aft cabin.And, when you stand at the rail, you actually have a 180 degree view - not just aft.

I think the aft balcony will give us great protection if there's any windy/rainy/chilly weather as we head north. ;)

That's a great advantage to the aft cabins that I forgot to mention. You do get a lot more protection from the weather. We appreciated that when we were skirting Hurricane Ophelia last September.:)

Hope your TA is able to reserve one for you.

I think an aft would be good to try just to say we did.. I would dread that very long walk to get to the cabin though.. I prefer to be near an elevator. Maybe one day we will try one... I have had the opportunity several times to book one, but in the end I would choose mis ship balcony instead, mainly because they are so far to get too.

Have had two D1 aft cabins on Radiance class ships, and really liked them. There is a definate plus in having your own deck chairs anytime you want them, on the oversized balcony. The view of the wake at night glowing in the moonlight is awesome, and the sailaway from the island du jour is wonderful. Like one poster said, you will miss out on having a direct line of sight down to the water, but you can experience that closeup on the promanade deck. I thought the aft cabin was an advantage on our Panama Canal cruise. We were topside forward going through the locks, then watched from our balcony coming back out. Very memorable for us.

We'll have our first hump cabin on our upcoming cruise, and I'm looking forward to that and comparing the experience to previous balconies.

I think an aft would be good to try just to say we did.. I would dread that very long walk to get to the cabin though.. I prefer to be near an elevator.

That's a good point, BearySweet2Cruise. That's why I like the Grandeur of the Seas. The Vision class ships are just the right size -plenty of activities, but you don't have to walk your legs off. I would not like an aft cabin on the Mariner or any other Voyager class ship. On the Mariner, even with a mid-ship cabin right by the elevator, it seemed like we were forever walking - and I still gained weight on that cruise, so what good did all that walking do?:)

I was considering booking an aft cabin for our next cruise until I got to the postings that mentioned there is no wind aft. I love the breeze on the balcony at night. I also think the wind cools things down a bit. Is it hot on the aft balconies; hotter than say the pool deck when at sea?

Have had two D1 aft cabins on Radiance class ships, and really liked them. There is a definate plus in having your own deck chairs anytime you want them, on the oversized balcony. The view of the wake at night glowing in the moonlight is awesome, and the sailaway from the island du jour is wonderful. Like one poster said, you will miss out on having a direct line of sight down to the water, but you can experience that closeup on the promanade deck. I thought the aft cabin was an advantage on our Panama Canal cruise. We were topside forward going through the locks, then watched from our balcony coming back out. Very memorable for us.

We'll have our first hump cabin on our upcoming cruise, and I'm looking forward to that and comparing the experience to previous balconies.

Hey cruiseman, I was wondering what cabin you had going through the canal, we have 9260 for next March and we are planning to do the same thing, going forward as we pull into the lock and then we are heading to the back, get room service breakfast and watch the locks close behind us on our beatiful balcony.

Several years ago there was big posts about an aft so I booked on board the Explorer for the Navigator corner aft deck 10! Wow what a treat. We loved having the aft cabin especially when we left port. Hubby has a funny picture of the sunset with his feet near the rails.! There is less traffic and you can see the wake of the ship since my aft I have had inside to save more aft for Hawaii for 07. We have deck 8 aft on the Serenade can't wait!

Lexi

Archived