Please Help a HAL Virgin?

albertiger

Contemplating a November cruise on Zuiderdam, this would be my first HAL experience. Ill be traveling alone so say I want to skip the dining room and eat at the buffet...what are the hours, how is the selection, and could i wear shorts? If I dont eat in the dining room all week, can I have the tips removed and give them out to the staff in the buffet area and my cabin steward in cash? And lastly, if i book a handicapped accessible room and its not required by a handicapped person, will they let me keep it? (4089 and 4090 on Upper Promenade Deck seem to be isolated-elevators on one side, blank cabin spaces on the other side-are these officer cabins?) Thanks for any help you can provide!!:D

I am not sure what is in those cabin's next to 4089 and 4090. Of course on the other side is the lobby for the elevator's. One thing to point out is those 2 cabins have a fully obstructed view. In other words you can't see out! Those cabin's next to them maybe used for the entetaniners or someone else on the ships staff. They wont be used by the ships officers in the navigation department as they have cabins next to the bridge on the navigation deck.

If I remember correctly, the dinner buffet hours were 6:00 - 8:30.

Yes, you can wear shorts there.

We were served the same things being served in the dining room. In my opinion their buffets are the best when compared to Princess, RCI, and Celebrity.

Happy Sailing,

Jill

I would strongly advise against booking a HC cabin if you do not require one. Once the cabin is booked it is taken out of inventory and a HC person may not be able to cruise because of that. If it's close to the sail date and still available then that's a different story (4 weeks out or so). HAL does not flag HC cabins booked by non-HC passengers in their system so once it's booked it's gone.

the dress code says no shorts after 5pm in any public area

you are missing out on a great part of cruising if you dont eat in the d/r

you should leave all tips in place because the d/r staff also works in the lido during meals there

Hi,

Are you not wanting to eat in the DR because you would feel awkward as a single, or because you want to wear shorts?

If it's because of sailing by yourself, I've had excellent experiences on HAL with being assigned to a DR table with others. Never felt out of place and have always had great tablemates.

Roz

I believe the Lido Buffet hours are from 6 pm - 7:30 pm. I agree with the others, by not eating in the dining room, you are missing out on a wonderful cruise experience. The Zuiderdam is a warm and friendly ship, you will enjoy it.

If you remove or reduce the $10 service charge, and then distribute cash tips, those in receipt of your tips are obliged to turn them in to the pool. Stewards in the Lido do share in that pool, so leaving your service charge in place does provide something to them.

Shorts are never acceptable in the evening.

I travel solo all the time and love having tablemates in the dining room. It's a highlight of the day to have the same folks every night sharing the details of the day.

As a handicapped traveller myself,,,,why would you book a HC cabin if you do not require one!!! There are few enough of these types of cabins available on any particular ship and once they are gone, that prohibits a HC-traveller from enjoying a cruise experience of their own. Sorry to jump on you, but this is one of those things that get me going.

I wouldn't book one but I have been assigned one on a short notice cruise. Now I bet if you saw me coming out of a HC cabin you would think the worst. I am especially aware as my mother was in a chair for the last 4 yrs onf her life.

Just wanted to point out that there are valid reasons...now booking it on purpose...well thats' another story

Thank you for the info but not for being so quick to jump on me about the HC cabin. (some lines do things differently) I never said i was going to book it, i was inquiring in case it was the only cabin(s) left in the category i wanted to book. I ended up with a cat. G, 4055 anyway so its a non-issue.

As to the dining room, after 46 cruises i no longer wish to dress for dinner or engage in small talk. The Lido dining will be fine with me in shorts or long casual slacks.:eek: Ill just leave the automatic tips in place

Archived