Stephan Card's Book?

mechcc

IF you get the chance to purchase Stephen Card's book, jump at it. It is a treasure. It is impossible to describe to anyone who loves his art on the ships how much you will cherish this book.

We are getting so very much pleasure from this book and leave it on our coffee table so it is always at close reach.

...You can also puchase The Spotless Fleet, Capt. Card's book, via Harbor Hill Maritime Books, a division of Purple Mountain/Carmania Press. The website is here. I purchased my copy from them. Ekerr is the one who gave me the information several months ago. It is a very beautiful and informative book, and an enjoyable read.

Thank you everyone. I know we will love the book and was hoping to make it doublely (is that a word or did I misspell it) special by purchasing it on the Westerdam in Oct and being our special souvenier from that cruise. :mad: It is one of those special things that will mean alot to us.

But looking on the bright side - now I can give the internet info to loved ones as hints for B'day and X-mas and go on to picking another special souviener for our Oct cruise. I'm thinking emeralds - what do y'all think?;)

Thank you everyone. I know we will love the book and was hoping to make it doublely (is that a word or did I misspell it) special by purchasing it on the Westerdam in Oct and being our special souvenier from that cruise. :mad: It is one of those special things that will mean alot to us.

But looking on the bright side - now I can give the internet info to loved ones as hints for B'day and X-mas and go on to picking another special souviener for our Oct cruise. I'm thinking emeralds - what do y'all think?;)

Uh oh.... gotta keep Slinkie away from you... the two of you could do some serious damage in those ports on the Hallo-Westerdam Cruise.

I have "Cunarder" by Captain Card and plan to pick up "The Spotless Fleet". I'll be looking for it on Rotterdam, but if they don't have it yet, I should be able to get it on Noordam in August.

The Spotless Fleet is available for purchase on eBay, you can view it here. It says there are 3 copies available. Have no idea what it normally sells for, the buy it now price in the listing is $72 plus shipping.

Harbor Hill is $70.00 plus 3.50 for shipping..you also might want to check the price on Amazon.com, which usually comes in lower than many other sites..

Quick question: how many pages and how many different HAL ships?

That is not a quick question!:) Here's a quick answer, though: how about hundreds of pages and dozens of ships! Welcome back, Copper:); assume you are newly arrived from the home country?

That is not a quick question!:) Here's a quick answer, though: how about hundreds of pages and dozens of ships! Welcome back, Copper:); assume you are newly arrived from the home country?

You are right MOM, that wasn't quick;) Thanks/dankuwel for the info! Looking forward to getting my copy! Yup, just got back yesterday and had a great time; they said I got my Amsterdam accent back;)

Harbor Hill is $70.00 plus 3.50 for shipping..you also might want to check the price on Amazon.com, which usually comes in lower than many other sites..

Thanks for the info. I am not buying the book though. The info came to me earlier this week when it was put on eBay through favorite searches and I was just passing it on for anyone that wanted it.

I'll have to check out Harbor Hill, always interested in book sites, thanks for sharing that :)

Copper--

Stephen's book is organized around the current ships of the HAL fleet in the order that the ships were built/purchased. Each chapter begins with a short story concerning the history of the ship itself followed by the paintings that he created for each of them - the paintings are then accompanied by a short story of the subject, and interesting little tidbits concerning the history/significance of the ship portrayed or the creation of the artwork.

So let's see - 13 ships, 6 paintings each...

...that's 78 paintings, plus various pencil sketches and details of other artwork that he's created such as the ceramic tile painting he created for Prinsendam

Reading his book reminds me of listening to him tell stories in one of the lounges aboard ship while he sketched ships on bits of Noordam stationary...

(which of course I kept and tucked away in my signed-copy of his book - which like S7S has a proud place on my cocktail table)

;)

Copper--

Stephen's book is organized around the current ships of the HAL fleet in the order that the ships were built/purchased. Each chapter begins with a short story concerning the history of the ship itself followed by the paintings that he created for each of them - the paintings are then accompanied by a short story of the subject, and interesting little tidbits concerning the history/significance of the ship portrayed or the creation of the artwork.

So let's see - 13 ships, 6 paintings each...

...that's 78 paintings, plus various pencil sketches and details of other artwork that he's created such as the ceramic tile painting he created for Prinsendam

Reading his book reminds me of listening to him tell stories in one of the lounges aboard ship while he sketched ships on bits of Noordam stationary...

(which of course I kept and tucked away in my signed-copy of his book - which like S7S has a proud place on my cocktail table)

;)

Thanks for the info, Brian!

;)

EXCUSE ME???!!! You have a sketch on Noordam stationary? I thought Laura was the only one lucky enough to have that, & she had to pay for it! (still hasn't posted a pic of the framed piece).

How has your drawing not ended up on eBay? ;) :D

EXCUSE ME???!!! You have a sketch on Noordam stationary? I thought Laura was the only one lucky enough to have that, & she had to pay for it! (still hasn't posted a pic of the framed piece).

How has your drawing not ended up on eBay? ;) :D

Susan--

Oh, my little sketches are nowhere near as nice and detailed as what Laura has...

...and it isn't even signed, just a few bits and pieces like ship's funnels - a bit of a bridge and superstructure - and one little boat that I don't even remember the exact name of - a "Hog Islander" I think they called it...

Oh, and this ain't going anywhere near eBay - I'd rather keep the fond memories...

:)

one little boat that I don't even remember the exact name of - a "Hog Islander"

A Hog Islander is a ship, not a boat :) !

These were World War I emergency ships that were the first-ever mass-produced ships. A similar approach was later used with the Liberty and Victory ships.

See here for more about the Hog Islanders.

My guess is that Stephen was probably sketching Hog Islanders because Mark Goldberg, the author of the book The Hog Islanders was aboard. (At least I seem to remember that Mark was aboard during NOORDAM's maiden voyage.)

A Hog Islander is a ship, not a boat :) !

These were World War I emergency ships that were the first-ever mass-produced ships. A similar approach was later used with the Liberty and Victory ships.

See here for more about the Hog Islanders.

My guess is that Stephen was probably sketching Hog Islanders because Mark Goldberg, the author of the book The Hog Islanders was aboard. (At least I seem to remember that Mark was aboard during NOORDAM's maiden voyage.)

Doug--

Yes, quite right on all counts. :)

They were having their discussions and I was tagging along for a bit (enjoying the invite and nibblies in the Neptune)

I even recall your name being brought up a time or two...

...something about a ship w/ a blue bulb?

;)

Archived