Question for those who have been on the Radiance of the Seas - Regarding Aft Stairs

For those who have been on the Radiance can passengers use the aft staircase?

I have heard tons and tons of complaints from people with aft cabins because there are no elevators back there and they have to walk to mid ship to take elevators.

I don't need to take elevators, I don't mind the stairs but are the stairs back there for passenger use and do they go to all levels of the ship?

Thanks

They are crew only so don't listen to Royal!!! Lucky I asked the boards and found out the truth before booking aft.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please be advised that the stairs located next to cabin 1586 are for the guests.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Rae Shah

Customer Service Representative

BonVoyage

Dawna

The "aft stairs" are definitely for "CREW ONLY". Although I have used them several times, with permission from the crew, I feel much more comfortable taking the walk down the hallway and using the elevators in the middle of the ship. To be honest, placing yourself in "CREW ONLY" areas is just not safe for anyone.

The "aft stairs" are definitely for "CREW ONLY". Although I have used them several times, with permission from the crew, I feel much more comfortable taking the walk down the hallway and using the elevators in the middle of the ship. To be honest, placing yourself in "CREW ONLY" areas is just not safe for anyone.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Then why the HE|| does RCI even show them on their deck plans. What a joke.

I am still not giving up my awesome aft cabin though.

It is going to get really old after 14 days, walking to mid ship going up and then walking all the way back to the back again to go to the Windjammer. UGHHHHHHHH

From one Ohana to another, just think of all the wonderful quiet and bliss you'll have back there! And don't forget, you'll get some exercise too!

I have 1100 for the Ohana cruise and couldn't be happier!

Don''t get mad, get glad!!!:D

:mad: :mad: :mad: Then why the HE|| does RCI even show them on their deck plans. What a joke.

It is going to get really old after 14 days, walking to mid ship going up and then walking all the way back to the back again to go to the Windjammer. UGHHHHHHHH

I think you are under the assumption this ship is like the Voyager Class. It is not. I've been in an aft cabin before on the Mariner and it's a HUGE hike. The Radiance is not near that big. It's a ship that is so easy to get around.

There is a set of stairs between the Aft and the main elevators. It's not that far of a walk from aft or mid-ship. It's about 10 cabins from the aft. We used them a few times while on the Radiance.

Those little stairs in the back aft is on most of the ships and it's a small stairwell used by the crew. They are narrow and you don't really want to use them.

Enjoy the Radiance. It's an awesome ship and one of my favorites.:D

There is no walk back again to the Windjammer. The entrance to the WJ is right at the Centrum stairs.

There is a set of stairs between the Aft and the main elevators. It's not that far of a walk from aft or mid-ship. It's about 10 cabins from the aft. We used them a few times while on the Radiance.

Those little stairs in the back aft is on most of the ships and it's a small stairwell used by the crew. They are narrow and you don't really want to use them.

Can you please clarify the stairs you are talking about? See my pic below, the stairs circled in red...are those the forbidden crew only stairs? The ones in yellow....are those the ones you claim are 10 cabins from the aft? It looks like a lot more than 10 cabins to me.

deck96kr.jpg

Nope.....those stairs are actually crew area only for the laundry and there is also an area in there where they bring up luggage/store luggage , I believe. That whole area is behind closed doors.

The stairs we are talking about are the ones located in the corner next to Cabin 1100, 9256, etc. It is only in one corner.

Can you please clarify the stairs you are talking about? See my pic below, the stairs circled in red...are those the forbidden crew only stairs? The ones in yellow....are those the ones you claim are 10 cabins from the aft? It looks like a lot more than 10 cabins to me.

I am so sorry.. I had the ship backwards and was looking at the front stairwell. I was incorrect. I believe they are correct that those don't go through as part of them go right through the dining room. One of the downsides to an aft is the walk to the elevators/stairs. That's why I wouldn't do one again on the Voyager Class (check out and compare to this one). However, on this ship I would by all means. The Decor on this ship is fabulous. I've been on many cruises since the 80's on most major lines and I just love this ship.

We were on Jewel last April, and this was the one big design flaw to the Radiance class ships, in our opinion. It was our first time on RCCL. On Celebrity's Century and Millenium class, there are three stair/elevator banks. We love taking the stairs everywhere, but it really was inconvenient from the back.

We cruised 14 nights on the Radiance last month through the Panama Canal. Having our beautiful aft balcony was one of the highlights of our cruise. It is not really a long walk from the centrum elevators to the back of the ship. And, to get the Windjammer, it was just down the hall back to the centrum area and then up the stairs (only 1 flight for us). I am presently undergoing chemo treatments and I'm very tired, but this walk - either to the Windjammer or anywhere else on the ship, did not poop me out. Hallways to the aft are much shorter than those on Voyager class ships.

You'll soon be used to the walk and sitting out on your beautiful balcony is certainly worth it. Enjoy!

Unless you have mobility issues, it's just not that long of a walk - you can walk there in less than a minute unless you've been overindulging at the bar, in which case it might take you two minutes to CRAWL back there. It looks a lot worse on the deck plans than it is in reality. Besides, it's good for you to walk off some of your desserts!

But you know what? I'm gonna stop saying that - the more people who think it's the Bataan death march, the better odds we have of booking our preferred cabin!

Unless you have mobility issues, it's just not that long of a walk - you can walk there in less than a minute unless you've been overindulging at the bar, in which case it might take you two minutes to CRAWL back there. It looks a lot worse on the deck plans than it is in reality. Besides, it's good for you to walk off some of your desserts!

But you know what? I'm gonna stop saying that - the more people who think it's the Bataan death march, the better odds we have of booking our preferred cabin!

It only takes a minute and a half to stumble back there when you're drunk.:D

We were on the Serenade (same class ship) last January, deck 10 cabin 1600 aft. It is a very long walk to the lobby. 150 steps to be exact. It is a trek when you need to run back to the cabin for any reason. We booked Serenade again next January but this time we will be between the elevator lobbies.

Only stairs for guests are Forward and Mid-ship(Centrum), that is it. All others you see pictured in deck plans are suppose to be for Crew only inless you don't caught.

Jimbo:)

You brought up a good point. We need to start telling everyone that it's a horrible walk all the way to the elevators and stairs. It will make our getting those aft cabins easier. :) Have to remember that.

You brought up a good point. We need to start telling everyone that it's a horrible walk all the way to the elevators and stairs. It will make our getting those aft cabins easier. :) Have to remember that.

Should also tell everyone how noisey the hump cabins are!!

Archived