Does the Zaandam Have Balconies??

Golfette

Found an interesting cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam on the AAA website, but they list no balcony cabins. Does this mean that possibly they are all booked or that they don't have balcony cabins?? Would appreciate hearing from Zaandam & HAL knowledgeables. Thanks!!!!

On the AAA website, balconies on ships prior to Vista Class appear as 'Suites'. If it's a BB Category (or something to that effect), it's a balcony cabin. If it says S-Suite, it's a suite. The Zaandam most certainly has balcony cabins :)

Categories "PS", "S", "A" and "B" are all balcony cabins on Zaandam and her sister Volendam.

Actually, that is also the case for Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, and Veendam.

Unfortunately, HAL continues to use confusing terminology when listing their cabins.

On the Zaandam, HAL refers to all cabins with a balcony as a "suite", and they would be listed on the AAA website under "Suites." But only categories PS and S are true suites.

The B, BA, BB, and A categories which HAL calls "veranda suites" are what other cruiselines would call a balcony cabin. True, the HAL cabins are larger than most balcony cabins on other cruiselines, but they are not suites with suite privileges. In the past, HAL called them mini-suites.

These are usually the first cabin categories to sell out on popular cruises, so it is entirely possible that there may not be any of these cabins available for the cruise you like. Or as KK mentioned, AAA may only be selling certain cabin categories. You can always check on the HAL website to see whether any are available.

HAL's "balcony" cabins, aka minisuites, on nonVista class ships are ~284 sq feet, including balcony. They are larger than the typical balcony cabin. The nonVista ships are often referred to as R and S class ships. The S classs includes Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam. The latter two are sister ships slightly larger than the first two, which are also sisters.

The Vista class ships have typical balcony cabins of various sizes. In addition they have SS, SY and SZ categories which are equivalent to the "minisuite".

There are really too many categories and types and sizes of cabins to summarize here.

Visit HAL's web site (when it's working:o ) for deck plans and cabin layouts.

Another very good web site for this kind of info:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/

The S classs includes Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam. The latter two are sister ships slightly larger than the first two, which are also sisters.

Quick correction: those are the R-class ships.

The S-class are: Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

I'm sure it was just a little brain cramp on Stevesan's part, but I just hate even little tidbits of incorrect info out there.

Quick correction: those are the R-class ships.

The S-class are: Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

I'm sure it was just a little brain cramp on Stevesan's part, but I just hate even little tidbits of incorrect info out there.

Exactly right. I got my Ss and Rs reversed.:confused: Thank you for the correction.

Another senior moment, but they're better than the alternative.:rolleyes:

The HAL CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii

"The Voyage of the Spammed"

Aboard the ms Zaandam

Saturday October 7, 2006 - Sunday October 22, 2006

Round Trip out of San Diego, CA

Join us on a cruise to PARADISE!

hawaii227.jpg

For more information:

HAL CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii Page

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=71

We still have 6 AA Category Minisuites available on the Zaandam for the October 7, 2006 "Voyage of the Spammed" Group Cruise!!!! They're aft on the Navigation Deck. These are GREAT cabins, and look like this:

minisuite.jpg

Outside Cabins are available in categories:

C, D, DA, DD, E, EE, F, H, HH

Inside Cabins are available in categories:

M, NN, N, I, MM, L, and K

SO ... if anyone wants to join us, final payment isn't due until 6/23!!!!! LOTS of cabins still available for less than $2000 per person! SO ... come join us on a glorious cruise to Hawaii!!!!

Archived