Verizon Wireless in St Thomas and St Maarten

Have any of you great CC members had any experience with your Verizon cell phones in St Thomas and/or St Maarten? We will be on Mariner in July with our 16 year old and best friend. DW and I thought it might be good to be able to stay in touch with them while we go off touring and they stay behind on the ship (thier choice). No chance of changing carriers because of contracts and my wife's discount on the service through her employer. Thanks

I just called Verizon yesterday about this very question. I was told (for my plan anyhow) I am fully covered in the states and Peurto Rico. I have free Roaming, so even if my phone says roam, there is no extra charge. However, with that said, although my phone MAY work in St Thomas, St Maarten, and/or Nassau it is NOT covered under my plan and would cost quite a bit.

My suggestion- call verizon and ask them specifically about your plan. 800-922-0204 They look it up by phone number.

If you have Verizon In (I do not) you may be able to use your phone to call others in the Verizon network (even out of contry) without an extra charge. Since I do not have this program I did not get info on it.

If you just call and ask a general question about whether your phone will work in a particular place, you get a general answer..... I've done that several times. A couple weeks ago, I did a search on their website and found out you have to call and ask for a "International Dialing Service" (I-Dial). It's free, but has to be specifically requested and turned on from their end. I'll place a link below which lists the country's/Islands where there is service with rates. It also talks about service on cruise ships and says it's 2.49 a min, still less than the satellite service(also requires I-Dial)! Apparently, customer service people aren't really aware of any of this, you have to tell them specifically what you want, they go away and ask other employees and then finally come back and do what needs to be done.....

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/roaming/rates/St.%20Maarten.html

I will be doing souther carribbean on the AOS June 25. I stopped by a Verizon store and was told the same thing as cruise cruise cruise. So it seems as if Puerto Rico is the only "safe" island in order to avoid roaming charges. Even though they had St. Thomas shaded on the in store map as covered:rolleyes: BTW rische1 maybe we will see you again at the World Series. Our Cardinals won't fold up a second time:mad:

I've used my phone frequently from San Juan, and it's part of the America's Choice package. I did get hit with a roaming charge the one time I used it from St. Thomas. I've also used it off the coast of St. Lucia - that was quite expensive, but it was an emergency. We were within site of the island, which is why I could get a signal. I did have to give a credit card number, since Verizon didn't, at that time (may now) have any roaming agreements down there. I also had Verizon turn on international capability on my phone, just by calling customer service. Costs nothing unless you use it.

Jodi

I have t-mobile so pricing is unknown to me for Verizon, but if you have a 4 band phone your phone will work in any of the islands in the caribbean. If your phone is only a tri-band it will not work in st Marteen, but will work in St Thomas. If you are on one of the newer ships your phone will work at sea (most voyager ships have cingular owned cell towers on board, not cheap though)

As for how to dial: you must dial any US number in the 1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx format. if you leave off the 1 and area code it will yell at you in spanish (first hand experience) you must do this even if calling your home area code, which is different than the dialing needed in the states.

Good luck and even though you said you are not to worried about fees keep in mind that the roaming charges on the Islands and on the ship are up to $7.00 a MINUTE depending on your service. so that quick call could cost you a hundred dollars.

One more thing I am pretty sure that you will have to call Verizon and activate international calling on your phone (free) or it will not make calls outside the states. I know I had to do that with t-mobile.

PS I love the Red Sox nation theme on this thread!

We have T-Mobile as well. When we were in St. Thomas in February on the Mariner, the phone screen said something like "US 52". We were able to call home from our cell phone in the Windjammer and it was charged as a local call on our cell phone bill. Not so in St. Martin though, it was an international call.

I think I read that Verizon tri mode phones can be used in St Marteen, but Verizon needs to be notified ahead of time.

When I travel, I tend to notice tshirts and caps for baseball teams. Outside of the local teams, the Red Sox rule based on this non scientific study. I'm excited about the team this year.

Always had my Sox hat with me. Hooked it on the carry-on when traveling and wasn't wearing it. Was fun to cruise in January and have table mates that were from Pittsburg area in 2005. They bought us drinks when they lost to the Pats that year.

Cardinals???? Who?? hehehe ;)

Archived