Maasdam 5/27 Review

mrskmirolla

Maasdam – Canada/New England – 5/27/06 Review

This is the first time in a long time that we had purchase air and hotel from HAL and was pleasantly surprised. We were met at the airport by a HAL rep and given a certificate for a taxi to our hotel, it went very smooth. We stayed at the Montreal Delta Hotel, is was very nice and we also got a surprise. We were able to check in (in the hotel) other than our credit card and take our picture so that really helped on the day of embarkation. They had the bell boy pick up our bags at 8:00am and then we were taken on a tour of the city at 12:45pm, it was great. They dropped us off at the ship and we gave our credit card and took our picture and walked on board. Since we have never been to Montreal it was super.

We went immediately to the Lido, yeah we were hungry, and had a great lunch. Then went to the cabin to get our life preserver and go to the Muster Drill. After the drill we met with fellow Cc’ers that were on our roll call. They were Pete & Jan, April & David, Jill & Mark, Gary & Karin and Renee came by to say hi. It was wonderful to meet them. We saw then throughout our cruise which was nice.

The Maasdam looks beautiful and our room was perfect!! Our Cabin Steward was Hary what a dream he was. Note-my husband uses a lot of shampoo and cream rinse (no he doesn’t have long hair) and Hary made sure he always had some. In the past on some cruises we had to ask but not Hary everything was always available and CLEAN!!! We had cabin 210 verandah, near the stern but didn’t feel a thing. But we do recommend you bring a power strip as my husband had to charge his batteries and shaver and I needed power for my curling iron. So really just pick up a cheap one and throw it in your suitcase you will be glad you did.

Laundry: boy I think I win the prize on this one. We had a bag, cost of $12 sent it in on one morning and received it the next day. You could purchase unlimited for $45 but the one bag is all we needed. I am doing this by memory so bare with me. My bag had 6 pairs of socks (mine & husband) 6 underwear, 3 t-shirts, 2 women’s tops, 1 corduroy jacket, 1 sweat pant, 1 sweat jacket, 1 jeans, 4 shirts. Darn I can’t remember what else but I rolled them sooooo tight and it all fit. Something like 27 or 28 items!

We had the main seating 8pm upper dinning, Edwin and Bagus were our waiters and let me tell you those two really work their tails off. They also made us feel like they were there just for us and couldn’t do enough for us. They would answer every question I had and believe me I do ask a lot. I am a very fussy eater (hard to believe but it is true) and I really didn’t know what some of the things were on the menu and Edwin took his time to explain everything to me. One night I really didn’t want to go to the dinning room for dinner because we usually check the menu, and I didn’t see anything that I liked. So to my surprise I ordered the Shrimp something (sorry) and it was fantastic and made exactly as Edwin had told me.

Out on the Lido at the stern is where we first met Eduardo who was just a love. He couldn’t do enough for us. If he didn’t know the drink of the day he immediately went to find out for me and we never had an empty glass with him around. He worked by the pool in the afternoon too and at night he was in an area (can’t remember the name) where the string quartet played and he would always see to our needs. Great guy and hard worker.

One day in the Lido I was getting my lunch and just as I turned around to find a table and young man came up to me and offered to take my tray for me and I told him I could do it and he said it would be an honor to carry it for me. What a guy! I told him he was the first person to have ever done that for me and we struck up such a friendship. His name is Ade, be also calls everyone to dinner with the dinner chimes. He and my husband kidded back and forth so much you would think he was part of the family. He was soooo special.

Our Captain was Henk Draper (great personality), Hotel Manager Kees Streuding (he runs a great department) and Cruise Director was Carey Bolton (the only disappointment we had)

We were so fortunate with the weather, when we got to Montreal it had started raining but by the next day (Saturday) it was as clear as a bell. Then as we sailed into Boston it was raining really hard (Saturday). All the other days were wonderful. My husband wore a short sleeve shirt the whole cruise.

The entertainment: I was so surprised to recognize a couple of the performers from my Zuiderdam cruise last September, I had to go up to them and ask and he was pleased that we remembered him. Their group was awesome!! We also had John D. Smitherman, “the tenors in one” this man could really belt a tune. He was wonderful and I wish he and the Maasdam players were the only ones!! Sorry to say but Jason McPherson and Shelly Kasner were really not up to par for Holland America. Dave Levesque would have been better if he had just stuck with playing his violin, he played great!

As far as the Ports of Call: Quebec City was awesome, we took an excursion to the Montmorecy Falls and Saint Anne’s Basilica. It was really worth our time. We walked the city in the morning and took our excursion in the afternoon. We loved Quebec City.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, we just got a map from information and took our own sweet time and check out the area. We enjoyed ourselves.

Sydney Nova Scotia, we did the same as in Charlottetown, but as we walked down a street we met a couple trimming their tree and we got to talking about their charming house and were invited into their yard and found out so much of the history. They were a very nice couple and come to find out my husband and the gentleman’s family are from Italy and let me tell you they got along great. Their house has been in their family for over 100 years and they gave us the history of the town. This was absolutely incredible.

Halifax, was incredible we got a map and struck out on our own and to our surprise we walked up to the Citadel just in time for the changing of the guard and at noon they set off a canon and that was really something.

Bar Harbor Maine, we took an excursion to Acadia National park it was beautiful as was Bar Harbor. This was the only port where we had to tender in but it was such a short ride it didn’t really matter. We learned a lot about the area and truly enjoyed it.

Well it was just a fantastic trip and the Maasdam was just the best. From the Lido to the Crows Nest (yeah we wish they would have extended the Crows Nest over the Spa but it still was great), she was always clean and the staff was always around to assist you in any area that you wanted.

It is a good thing my husband has a digital camera as he took 769 pictures, honest I am not kidding. This was a great experience and recommend it to everyone.

Sorry to get so wordy!!

Kathy

Thank you very much for the very informative and excellent review of the cruise. Did you encounter much in the way of fog during the night? We did have about four nights of fog on our cruise several years ago.

This was delightful to read! So glad you had a nice time---and that the weather cooperated for you.

I tend to agree with you as to David Levesque's performance as an entertainer. But I have to say I was amazed last summer when I learned that it was he who had done the commentary when we went through Prins Christian sound. He also gave a few lectures that were excellent. If you ever have the opportunity to attend something of that sort---don't stay away. This is a well-rounded man.

I have always wanted to do the Canada/New England cruise but am hesitant because I have the perception that there will be few teen/children aboard. Our 2 young teens rank their cruise experience by the number of friends that they make. We just returned from Alaska and there were 30-40 kids in this age bracket. My kids had an excellent time. Were there teens on your cruise?

Janvan11, we saw more kids this cruise than others that we took but I couldn't even tell you how many. I know when we ate at the Lido outside by the pool there were several kids and we saw some at night at the show but the kids were so well behaved I didn't really pay attention. Sorry. I know we had a few families with older kids, one was on our rollcall but we didn't meet, but we met a nice couple that had all four of their kids aged 22 down to maybe 15 or 16. Wish I could be of more help.

Ruth I am glad to hear that about David and I will make a mental note on paper if the opportunity arises, thank you.

Kathy

I saw a few teens on the cruise, but not many. I overheard a couple complaining about the lack of things to do. Teens are bound to complain no matter what, but looking at the activities, I'm thinking they weren't being overly critical.

I would estimate the number of teens to be about two dozen, possibly less. I wouldn't recommend this cruise for families with active teens. Teens who are content reading and listening would be fine.

Kathy:

Thanks for your very positive review. We had a great time on the Maasdam some years ago and look forward to our 7/1 sailing. Did you have a chance to observe evening dining in the Lido? We were wondering if that has changed after SOE.

Chuck

The Maasdam looks beautiful and our room was perfect!! Our Cabin Steward was Hary what a dream he was.

Our cabin steward was Hary, too! I guess it was the same guy. Very sweet. We left him an octopus made out of 8 towels when we left, he got quite a kick out of it...:p

Captain Chuck, we went through the Lido one night and saw the tablecloths and candles on the tables, it looked real nice but we ate in the dinning room for dinner each night.

Laminar, we were disappointed with her as she appeared to be standoffish and we really didn't see her up and around alot. She seemed scattered and at the Mariners get together she seem like she didn't know what she was doing or what she should be doing. She offended a whole group of people by not really having them acknowledged. People around us with 50 to 99 days were not asked to stand. She did mention that one gentleman in that group of days had his first cruise I think in the 40's but I don't recall. If it her duty to set up the activities she failed there too. ( I really don't know whose job it is to set up the activities). She made mistakes in introductions and there were several people with more than 100 days and in ALL of our other cruises they had them go on stage for the group picture. They did take some pictures but it wasn't handled very well. We had a couple that I think was 1000 days (not sure) and bless the Hotel Manager Kees Streuding, for getting the photographer to take their picture. My husband said it much better than I am right now and I don't remember what he said about her. In my opinion she was not a good Cruise Director.

Kathy

Archived