Passport stats

Sunshine91

In case no one has mentioned it...leave a copy of the first page of your passport at home with whoever your emergency contact is. My family also has one.

In addition to the photo copies, I've scanned my passport into my computer and emailed it to a few very close members of my family. That way, I have a copy in my email at all times. And if my family can't find the hard copy, they can at least go to the internet and print it off.

I too and waiting for my passport. Mailed my passport with request for name change end of April - my check was cashed May 8th and hope to have it before we sail on the Westerdam on June 25. You can check the anticipated date to expect your passport at this web address:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

At least I could use my birth certificate if necessary.

I applied on April 12 to renew my passport by regular mail and processing, and just received my new passport yesterday, June 9, so the backlog is already starting - 8 weeks, not the promised 4 - 6 weeks. I live in Washington state, 20 minutes from the Canadian border, yet most people I know around here do not have passports, even though most of us shop in Canada frequently and many kids have their birthday parties in Canadian venues.

Frankly, I don't see the value of this effort to require everyone to have "papers", at least not until we can track those who enter the country with valid passports and visas, then overstay the expiration. IMHO.

Our post office had a sign saying 6-8 weeks for passports although the official gov. web site had said 6 weeks. We leave in 7 1/2 from our mailing date. I am ordering official copys of birth certificates just in case for our Alaska trip. Half the people in the P.O. needed their Passports for 2007. Good for them for getting them now.

We've been waiting for our renewal passports to arrive for about 6 weeks now. I think it still within a reasonable period of time to wait but hope it isn't too much longer. When it starts to get about 8 weeks, it can start to be a problem for frequent travelers.

Of course, it there is a real need, one can use the expedited service.

If too many wait too long, that service may become less efficient.

One of our passports was returned to us renewed on Thursday and the other arrived on Friday. It was shy of eight weeks. It's possible as December approaches, the length of time may increase.

One of our passports was returned to us renewed on Thursday and the other arrived on Friday. It was shy of eight weeks. It's possible as December approaches, the length of time may increase.

Sail, I was just thinking about your passport situation today, and I'm glad to know that you have received your new passports.:)

Thanks, middle-aged Mom.

We're happy to have them back and ready for our next adventure.

I really expect to be reading on these boards about cruisers' disappointments when they arrive at embarkation ports come December 31 without passports. I hope people get a move on and get their photos and applications submitted.

I really expect to be reading on these boards about cruisers' disappointments when they arrive at embarkation ports come December 31 without passports.
Sadly, I believe you're right. Many are going to be caught short.

Thankfully, I have a few years left before I need to renew my Passport: my current one expires in late 2010. So ... the big rush will be over and done by the time I renew. Or ... at least ... I hope it's over and done!!! :) And I'll be sure to keep an eye on it as we move into 2009, as well as being aware of my projected cruise and travel schedule so that I know the best time-frame in which to file for renewal.

That can be the tricky part, Greg. If people travel frequently, it is hard for them to be without their passports while they await renewals. These people will have to use expedited service. One only hopes there will be more people working in the offices in order to accomodate the influx of applications that will have to occur.

Also......As pointed out above, remember that many (most) countries require anywhere between 3 - 6 months remainining on your validity date of your passport when you enter their country. Don't try to travel on a passport that will expire in two months. Could be a big mistake.

Two simple Questions about renewal.:eek:

1. Why does Have to take 8 Weeks?

2. Why should it cost $100?

1. You're dealing with the U.S. Department of State

2. Renewals are only $67.00. Someone has to pay for the enhanced security measures that have been put in place since 9/11 .

p.s. A new adult passport costs just under $100.00 It's good for 10 years. That comes to $10 per annum.

Six months ago my wife and I were on holiday in Honolulu. My passport had less than one year to expiration.

I walked into the Passport Office at the Federal Building with my passport, driving license, passport photos, and air ticket home. It took me 10 minutes to complete the forms. There were no lines.

The clerk took my documents and told me to come back in 2 hours.

My wife and I had a very nice lunch nearby and then picked up my new passport. They even gave me extra pages when they noticed how much I travel.

Life doesn't have to be difficult.

[quote name='Jim Gallup']Six months ago my wife and I were on holiday in Honolulu. My passport had less than one year to expiration.
I walked into the Passport Office at the Federal Building with my passport, driving license, passport photos, and air ticket home. It took me 10 minutes to complete the forms. There were no lines.
The clerk took my documents and told me to come back in 2 hours.

My wife and I had a very nice lunch nearby and then picked up my new passport. They even gave me extra pages when they noticed how much I travel.
Life doesn't have to be difficult.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The only way to go! And to do it in Honolulu, Hi. What else can you ask for:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This whole thing about new passport guidelines has me very nervous and very confused. Mine doesn't expire until 2013 so problem there ... I could well have popped by then:) . [SIZE=1](now stop, everyone ... wishing doesn't make it so;) )[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
But DH's expires April 2007. Should I be renewing it 6 months in advance if we think Jan/Feb is going to be such a disaster with the new rules?

We're cruising in December this year so he's fine for now, but if they're going to now say that it has to be valid 6 months into the future then what's the point of an expiration date? It's completely confusing to me! Are some countries worried that you may not leave before it expires? Does anyone know?

So the expiration date just becomes a warning that you need to renew 6 months in advance? Help!

[B]Heather,

IMO.....My VERY strong opinion. Renew DH's passport now. It will take about 8 weeks at present but it is almost certain to start to take longer and longer to get renewals accomplished as December approaches. IF your DH has no international travel planned for the next two months, do it now. Or do the expedited one day renewal if he wishes. (If it is a factor to anyone......it is about double the cost.)

You must consider that many countries will not allow a traveler to enter their country if their passport does not have at least six month remaining until expiration. This is nothing new. It has been in effect like that for many years in many countries.

Everyone should count back six months when deciding when to apply for renewal. April 2007 expiration, IMO, calls for a renewal before October.

[/B]

Our passports expire in Feb., '08. We'll be cruising internationally in Sep.-Oct. 2007. I didn't think we'd need to renew until after we get home from that cruise. It sounds like we should renew before. How soon before they expire are we able to renew?:confused:

Thanks, Sail ... since no trips are planned before the cruise, you're probably right. Still, I think it's ridiculous. Why have an expiration date if, in fact, you have to renew 6 months before that date. Thank heaven my DL doesn't work that way ... or our credit cards. The expiration should be the expiration. JMHO.

But Bobpatj raises a good point. I wonder if there's a rule of thumb about how far in advance you can renew.

[B]Each country sets their own rules as to how many months must be remaining on visitors' passports when they enter so the U.S. should only be answerable for the number of months required to be remaining in order to enter U.S I have no idea what the requirement is. [/B]

[quote] Our passports expire in Feb., '08. We'll be cruising internationally in Sep.-Oct. 2007. I didn't think we'd need to renew until after we get home from that cruise. It sounds like we should renew before. How soon before they expire are we able to renew[/quote]

[B] You should also check with HAL......I think it VERY pertinent that someone with absolute reliability as to accuracy of information at each cruiseline must advise travelers of what the cruiselines will require. If it were me traveling on the dates you state with passport expiration you indicate, I would renew prior to taking that cruise. You didn't state how long you will be traveling. Is it only a week? Is it a 64 day cruise?

I am no authority and do not pretend to be but I have some vague notion of having been told that there is no date that is too early for renewal being permitted.

[/B]

I can't say this is true, but it was told to me and makes sense. Some countries grant you a stay of up to 3 to 6 months, even if you stay for a shorter period, and want to to have a valid passport for the duration of your possible stay so your passport cannot expire during that time.

If you don't intend to go to those countries(whichever ones they may be), there really isn't much to worry about. And, if for some reason you do go, there's always the expedite route.

[B]One of the reasons for requiring a number of months past entering a country for passport validity is an emergency such as serious illness which could bar you from traveling for an extended period of time. If you were to become ill while in that country and your passport expired during that period of time, you could have travel problems when you are finally well enough to travel.
[/B]

Better safe than sorry. I went to the online passport site, clicked on "renew passport", got the form, filled it in and printed it out. Now I just have to get DH to stand still long enough for a photo and we're set.

Wait'll I tell him he has to cough up $67.00 9 months before his passport expires! Oh, well ... one thing at a time:)

Archived