What would you ask?

Ok.....So, everyone has that one question about HAL, shipboard procedures and policies, crewmember life, Corp. policies and procedures, etc that they have always wanted to ask but were either afraid to do so OR know they would never get a straight answer.

Pretend for a moment the truth meter is running and any question you ask will get the correct/honest answer from either land or shipboard management/crew. What would you ask?

Just curious.

What kinda gas mileage does this baby get?

;)

But seriously, I'd be fascinated to learn the sources for provisioning and fueling the ships - and how they dispose of our various wastes and pollutants

:) I actually had the chance to ask those sort of questions but somehow, at the time, it just didn't seem appropriate and I chose to not 'go there'.

Didn't really feel much of it was really my business to know. Hmmmm..... maybe I should have tried asking a few??? :)

On my last cruise (Alaska last August) I was invited to meet with the Captain and a few of his staff. Nothing said about the purpose. About 10 of us where there and we were invited to ask questions and or make comments to the staff there. (Capt., CD, HM, Maitre d' (sp?) Shore Ex. Supervisor, Purser). It was a most interesting session and people all seemed to be quite honest in their questions and answers. The answers may not have been want the questioner wanted, but they seemed to be honest. I found that after we left I thought of all sorts of good things to ask about, but my opportunity was gone.

I found out at the Mariners party why I was invited to the session. With a full ship, I had the third most days cruising on HAL. Wow, quite a new experience. I had only about 225 days, the couple ahead of me passed their 300 day mark. On the longer (30+ day) HAL cruises, my 200 + days put me below average in terms of cruise days! Interesting to be near the top for once. Alaska is such a popular for first time cruises. (By the way, they had only one party, between settings. There were well under 100 folks there, again a new HAL experience.

On a smaller cruise ship two months after 9/11 there were more passengers than crew due to cancellations. While it was a great experience for the passengers (what service!) we all knew that ships could not survive with such a low passenger load.

At a Q & A session with the Captain one of the passengers asked "How many passengers do you need on board to break even?" Without even a second of delay he said:

It costs $80,000 a day to run the ship. "If I can find one passenger willing to pay $80,000 a day, that is all we need."

At Christmas this past year on the "Veendam" why were we surprised with an upgrade from a veranda cabin to an "S-Suite" ?

We found out when we were checking in.

Mind you...we did not complain...:D

Merry Christmas:eek:

Actually, I'd ask about why there are no live bridge webcams. It's neat to be able to provide your friends/family with a link to see where the ship is each day. I even enjoy looking at the Princess/NCL ones just to see where they are and in what weather etc etc...

At Christmas this past year on the "Veendam" why were we surprised with an upgrade from a veranda cabin to an "S-Suite" ?

We found out when we were checking in.

Mind you...we did not complain...:D

Merry Christmas:eek:

Do you only get upgrades if you book a guarentee? On our upcoming sailing we booked 2 specific SB staterooms (aft), but last time I checked (last week) one of the PS were still available - I would so love it if my parents got it as an upgrade.

HAL are you listening????

Do you only get upgrades if you book a guarentee? On our upcoming sailing we booked 2 specific SB staterooms (aft), but last time I checked (last week) one of the PS were still available - I would so love it if my parents got it as an upgrade.

HAL are you listening????

Hey Foxy Terrier,

The "OP"s question was what would ask?

My answer was,,,why did we get upgraded?

We did not have a gaurenteed cabin. We booked a veranda cabin. They were kind enough to upgrade us to an S-Suite.

The TA we use though always asks us a question...Would you take an upgrade if offered. I always say yes.

The TA's question might be because some people with family or friends or some folks might have a favorite cabin. In these cases people might not want to change their cabin.

Hope this helped...

Archived