Anyone Back From Century Yet?

PattyMichael

The service in all areas was excellent. We found the food to be excellent with the exception of the desserts which we thought were an attempt to be fancy, but as my wife sometimes says about food "delicious, but no flavor". The buffet dining. tea, grill, pizza and pasta bar, egg bar, waffle bar and sushi were all excellent We were on the Panorama deck(new balcony cabin) in the 8100 area and had no problems of any with kind the cabin or cabin service. We felt we had a very enjoyable cruise and much more enjoyable than on the Millinium. We found disembarking for tours and reboarding to be far better than we found on the Millinium. To us the service and style of this cruise was more of what we remembered from cruises in the 70's and 80's before the ships became so big. We would certainly cruise with Celebrity again.

How nice to read a recent review! I have a few questions, please.

Did you try Murano? If yes, what was your experience?

I have been reading about those odd shaped beds with the rounded sides. Did you have one of those?

We are in a 2A GTY at the moment and awaiting a cabin assignment. Was the entire cabin new? Bathrooms, etc.

How was the entertainment overall? I do not care for shows but would love to know about live music that was available. Did you enjoy the Martini Bar?

The 70s and 80s were the best years for cruising, IMO, so that is wonderful news!

Thanks for posting:)

Hi

Yes the area now known as the Sunset bar is still an area where you can eat your food from the Islands cafe.Its a lovely spot when the sun is shining!

Yeah im glad they kept the outside eating area, I like to go onboard aboard on the 1st day around 2pm then head to the stateroom drop the carry on bags then head to the buffet for lunch and relax at the sunset bar. Its the start of the holiday!!

We also just got off the Century. She was a lovely ship. By far the best staff we have encountered. We had an oceanview room, which worked out great for us. Didn't want to leave. The worst part is that they lost a piece of luggage, so now have to deal with CS. I'm too distracted dealing with the lost luggage to write anything worthwhile about the trip, but will add some comments later.

Cruisintwinsmom,

I am so sorry for you. :(

Maybe someone else took your luggage.

This happend with friends of us on our cruise last year. People took the wrong suitcase in the airport. They delivered the suitecase on the ship after 4 days.

Gitte

Hi Gitte-- I think we were on the Constellation with you two yrs ago-Sept. Thanks for the nice photos. Have decided to stick with our two future Century trips but not happy with the Spain tax and other "rules". Guess after this we will go back to Mercury & just hope they don't change it by taking out the T pool or putting in Cirque de soleil...

Can anyone who has been on the Baltic/Russia cruise comment on their shore excursion experience?

From our research, we are planning on using Red October for St. Petersburg on July 26-27, and we are looking forward to seeing the Ballet at the Hermitage Theater on July 26, Swan Lake.

As for the other Scandinavian ports, none of which we have ever been to before, we are planning on "doing our own thing," as the cities seem pretty easy to navagate, at least according to our Rick Steve's book.

Any suggestions from those that have done this before would be very much appreciated.

Having been to Alaska twice, the second time on Infinity, we were much happier booking the excursions on our own, rather than through the cruise line.

Here's to hoping the construction crews are taking well deserved vacations by the time we meet Century this July in Amsterdam.

USA 2010! Who thinks we can make it to the quarterfinals of the World Cup?

Summerlin

We made some photos of Century while in Amsterdam.

There are photos while sailing through Northseacanal on June 15 (cruisingtwins I think you were on board then!)

and again some at the cruiseterminal in Amsterdam on June 27.

Can be found on: http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/ and click on the album you want to see.

Ine, Yes we were even starboard as we were entering the canal. Maybe you can even see my daughter and I up on deck 11 or 12 forward peering over the rail. It almost looks like there are two people in one of the pics, but maybe it is a door.

I can see where people would be dissappointed in some of the little things that made the ship look dingy in places. When there has been so much hype about the New Century, it is difficult not to notice paint drips or caulking on elevator buttons (at first I thought it was icing that the staff didn't clean up after someone's sticky fingers had pushed a button, but when it was there day after day....), or your oceanview window that looked like it had never been washed on the outside. However, we had an excellent sailing experience, and will probably sail her again (hoping for a positive outcome on the lugguage issue).

One of the officers mentioned that the drydock didn't go as smoothly as they had anticipated. Wonder if they had used that shipyard before?

Tom UK...........I can't access your pics. What am I doing wrong ?

I ought to remind everyone that they're not my pics, they were taken by 'Magwa', who's a regular over on the Cruise Talk website, which is another cruise discussion website, with perhaps a rather UK/European/Ocean liner bias. Pam (Magwa) posts regularly there, and has produced many, many pictures of numerous cruises. Here's the URL for Cruise Talk:

http://www.*****/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

That said, what response are you getting? (The Travelserver site can be up & down a bit, to be fair).

Hi all,

Generally agree with previous posts. Staff was excellent and very accomodating. Only major complaint was that we could never get AC to work properly, either froze us out or didn't seem to work at all. Husband felt thermostat never functioned right

Embarkation a mess until we mentioned we were Select CC and then we were allowed to go ahead. Still was a mess when we got into processing area and nobody seemed to know which line to direct us to. But the gentlemen who process our Sea Pass cards was extremely personable.

Cabin comfortable. shower great, bed fine, even for our 6 foot traveling partners.

Ports very interesting would have liked more time in Oslo and less time in Helsinki. Most cities we could do on our own. Would reccommend you prepurchase HOHO Bus tickets via the web. I believe the sight is ( country) sightseeing.com

As to walking into Port most cities it is a mile or less and it is more to do with your comfort being around heavy traffic areas.

For St Petersberg we used a private guide, Allah, and it was great.

Bit disappointed in the ship. With all the hype I expected everything to be super fresh and although clean I wasn't wowed by anything atmosphere wise except for the Martini Bar.

Find they are becoming very sales oriented and I was tired of receiving 3- 4 sales pieces every night in my cabin. I liked it when it was just the daily program.

Food okay, only great meal we had was in Murano's. Definetely worth the money. Food overall was good but I think the quality is no longer what makes it stand out from other cruise lines. With that said I have not cruised Holland, RCCL, or others . We have experienced Raddison and do not feel a comparison is fair given pricing difference.

Musical entertainment in Celebrity theatre great, Jack Walker and the female singer were terrific. Ballet dancers not to be missed.

As to age we were on the low end, 50s. We found a newlywed couple and they joined our Martini group and we had a ball. They seemed to be having a great time. Really appreciated the few teenagers and children were generally well behaved.

Balcony cabins nice. Needed for Baltic? not sure. Coming into Oslo and Sweden were definetly the highlights of the trip. Oh and watching the sunset at 11:30 at night.

CC is pretty much worthless from what I can tell. All " extra value" items required purchase so there were no complimentary benefits. Received a Bday present from the cruise line a 20% off coupon from the spa if I purchased one of there " signature spa treatments". What a gift. Husband very disappointed with Mani and Pedi and I looked at the results and would have refused to pay for it. It appears they have many new spa personnel.

Really miss Therapy pool but they are doing away with areas that cannot produce profit.

Any questions I will try to answer.

Would I cruise Celebrity again yes if itinerary and value were there. I am going to stick with this line. I don't see any inducements for me to remain a loyal cruiser.

Hi all,

Would I cruise Celebrity again yes if itinerary and value were there. I am going to stick with this line. I don't see any inducements for me to remain a loyal cruiser.

Thanks for the post. I agree that I will keep on cruising with Celebrity because of staff and service. The company certainly doesn't feel the need to give further incentives for us to cruise with X.

I am in total agreement with:

if itinerary and value were there

Sound like the person who had a horrible cruise on Celebrity should find another cruise line. As you know, there are many to choose from.

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and always had a wonderful cruise and the food was fabulous. Now I can only compare it to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity is a notch above them. Just my opinion.

My first cruise on Celebrity was on the Horizon and even though I preferred a newer looking ship, the food and service was fabulous. I then booked another Celebrity cruise on the newley released Summit and I was hooked on Celebrity.

Sorry you had a bad cruise. But in my opinion, there's no such thing as a bad cruise.

Sound like the person who had a horrible cruise on Celebrity should find another cruise line. As you know, there are many to choose from.

Sorry you had a bad cruise. But in my opinion, there's no such thing as a bad cruise.

I thought the OP's review (and others on this thread) was balanced and thoughtful. I did not see the world "horrible" anywhere in her review.

Why is that when someone has issues with individual aspects of a cruise, certain posters want to send them packing:mad:. Ridiculous and uncalled for, IMO.

I have had multiple bad cruises in my cruising history and I find that sentiment silly as well.

I have enjoyed 4 of 5 Celebrity cruises. I would not cruise on Mercury again. But I have another cruise with X booked in a few months.

I will be dismayed if I see some of the conditions as described by several of those recently off Century and hope that these are simply a matter of the drydock running a bit behind and that they are resolved for future cruisers.

Horizon...Bermuda 2003

Perhaps if you had been on Horizon a year later you might not have the same view:

The centers have confirmed 11 cases of Legionnaires' disease among the passengers of the Horizon; 24 other cases are suspected. One passenger died in what was the first cruise-ship outbreak of Legionnaires' disease known to the Government

Every cruise experience is a unique one. Just because it is not the same as your own experience, does not make it invalid.

Archived