husky homestead tour

bboopsie

My husband and I just returned from an 11-day NB RCCL cruisetour (package #10 on Radiance of the Seas) which included 2 nights in Denali. While there we went to the "HUSKY HOMESTEAD" Tour at Jeff King's place (he is a 4 time winner and the current champion Iditorod). Is this the same tour you are inquiring about?

If so, I am not sure why this would be rated "difficult." From the Grand Denali Lodge it was a ten minute bus ride to the mushers camp and training facility (also Jeff's residence). The first ten minutes were spent cudling the little puppies and posing for photos. We then walked 20 feet or so (down a small incline) to the training facility for some demonstrations. There are benches for those that would like to sit. You are outside for approximately 1/2 hour listening to a trainer and watching various activities. It is VERY informative and interesting.

From there you walk back up the incline into the large shed structure to listen to Jeff King speak for about 1/2 hour. He is a fantastic speaker and completely entertaining. Inside the barn/shed there are plenty of benches for all to sit. At the conclussion it is simply back to the bus.

If you are interested it seems to be well worth it. I arranged our tour directly with Jeff King's office (through his website). I am not sure how much the cruise ship charges but by booking direct it was $45 per person. They will send a shuttle to your hotel to transport you back and forth as well. Might be a way to send some money.

You will love Alaska!!!

We did the Husky Homesteadtour last summer and enjoyed it. The 6 pictures in my gallery might give you an idea of what the kennel area is like. The ground is covered with gravel and sand. The barn is on a small hill, surrounded by the kennel, if you are careful and take your time, you should be able to get around without too much difficulty.

We made arrangements at the Excursion Desk when we arrived at the hotel, and had no trouble getting a reservation.

Enjoy

Thanks SO much for the information about Jeff King -we are booked for that tour also. PLease tell me about the land portion - were meals expensive - any places you suggest?? Also, how was Hubbard Glacier? Does ship rotate so you can stay on own balcony for good viewing?? Please tell me what you liked best/ least about land tour? Did you take the train?? And let me know your thoughts on Radiance - we are going in July - just VERY anxious. Any pics of Radiance greatly appreciated - thanks - smooth sailing!

Thanks SO much for the information about Jeff King -we are booked for that tour also. PLease tell me about the land portion - were meals expensive - any places you suggest?? Also, how was Hubbard Glacier? Does ship rotate so you can stay on own balcony for good viewing?? Please tell me what you liked best/ least about land tour? Did you take the train?? And let me know your thoughts on Radiance - we are going in July - just VERY anxious. Any pics of Radiance greatly appreciated - thanks - smooth sailing!

Yes they will turn the ship at Hubbard, but the best views are forward since you can see the glacier from a long way off. A side view will be far briefer. You may want to consider, "camping out" early in a good forward viewing spot, then return to your room once at the face.

I will be more than happy to try to answer any questions you may have while the trip is fresh in my mind. Please note, I will be posting a long and detailed review on this site later today - and it is simply just my opinion and observations. You know the old saying - "advice is only as good as the amount of $ you pay for it." Ha-ha!

(1) Meals on land tour - I believe the only day a meal was provided was during the drive from Anchorage to Denali. We received a box lunch (big turkey sandwhich, carrots and a small bottle of water.) The rest of the time, you are responsible for your own meals. Obviously in each city there are great restaurants and then there are places that can be less expensive. I would say in general the price of meals when dining out tends to be about 20% more than at home. (For instance at a Subway in Denali we noticed the prices for a meal deal were about $3-$3.50 more than at home.)

(2) When in Denali one restaurant I would recommend that was good food at reasonable prices was Lynx Creek Pizza. It is adjacent to the Princess Lodge. Large one-topping pizza (more than enough for four folks) and sodas ran about $22.

(3) Hubbard Glacier - at first I was unimpressed but I have to admit I quickly became enthralled. This was the most splendous site - a true surprise. The Radiance came within 600 ft of the glacier and coasted in place for quite some time. I was on the bow of the ship from 7am - 9am and then returned to my cabin to check out the views for a bit. Quite a few folks stayed on their balcony's and although you could get a good view, it was more impressive to me to be down front getting the true perspective of size. Had your trigger finger ready on your camera to catch the glacier calving - it is an awesome sight shortly after hearing a "rumble of thunder." It was extremely active while we were there. As we departed the ship did do a 360 degree turn so others could see, but there is no guarantee as on this day, iceburgs close in prevented the ship from turning earlier.

(4) I have been on several other RCI ships but must admit that the Radiance was the smallest but the most beautiful (totally glass enclosed). You can even see out the windows as you are riding on the elevators. The larger ships offer more promenade activites, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Radiance and her charming Captain, captain Lokling.

(5) Land Tour - Believe it or not we got to bond with our bus driver, our tour guide and several folks on our bus duing our land portion. We visited the Big Game Retreat on the way to Denali and go up close and personal with bears, moose, elks, etc. Saw amazing views of Mt. Minkley along several stretches of the highway as well. On the way to Fairbanks we rode the Wilderness Express - very luxurious train cars with absolutely fabulous meals at reasonable prices. On the train - my husband and I split one meal and a dessert - way more than enough for two folks.

(6) Least favorite portion of the land - properties we stayed at were so-so for the most part. The good news is that you are only there for an average of one night so it doesn't really matter. We enjoyed walking around each city exploring so we didn't spend much time in the properties. By far the Anchorage Marriott was the nicest and most comfortable and the Denali Grande Lodge had the best views but were the worst rooms.

Please let me know if you have other questions. As I mentioned, I will be posting a review of the cruise and a separate of the land portion. Hope they help! YOu will love Alaska, I am already interested in going back and I have only been home 4 days!

Archived