Paris Pre-Cruise Question

Need your help. DH and I planning to go on a Med cruise out of Barcelona in 2008. Friends of our want to go also, but they want to do a prec-ruise stay in Paris first.

Does anyone know about transportation choices from Paris to Barcelona? I guess the other choice would be to cruise to the Baltic instead since that seems to be the only destination that cruise line offer a Paris pre-cruise stay.

Can anyone give me some advise? Thanks.

Easy Jet flies from Paris to Barcelona for pretty cheap but you've got to keep your luggage weight down. We're doing that next year. They are the cheapest, but there's lots of flights on other airlines. And there's always the train.

Hi. We are doing this in September. We will be reserving on the Elipsos Overnight Train from Paris to Barcelona.

The trains have private roomettes which gives an opportunity to combine sleeping and travel costs together. We have the entire day in Paris to explore before we leave, then arrive early in Barcelona so the whole day is ahead of us. Less wasted time travelling during prime hours.

I believe the train leaves around 8:30 pm and takes about 12 hours.

Here's a couple of sites you can get info from:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/talgo/train_hotel_elipsos.htm

http://elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

We are doing Paris and London after our cruise and we got tickets from Barcelona to Paris on Easy Jet for $70.00 per person. It is an 1 hour and 45 minute flight to Orly Airport in Paris!

Yes, I'm with you :) much rather do the flight.

Thanks Loads Everyone

I knew I could get some advice from cruisecritic members. Didn't know anything about flights or the train. If their is a luggage limit on the flight, looks like we might have to obt for the train, but 12 hours seems a long time so may have to pack lighter.

Does anyone know what the luggage limit is? Also any suggestions on hotels in Paris. We are looking at 3-4 days pre-cruise. Since we will be sailing RT Barcelona, are the flight prices mentioned OW or RT?

Flight prices are one way. You can check them out at easyjet.com. The luggage restriction is 44 pounds and only one piece of checked luggage. This is now pretty standard for inter europe flights. Even with the train, you don't want to be packing heavy. You're the one loading it in to your compartment.

As for hotels, we're staying at the Westin, but we're using points. I've had the Hotel Muguet suggested. It looks very reasonable. Check Tripadvisor.com for suggestions on hotels.

Thanks Loads Everyone

I knew I could get some advice from cruisecritic members. Didn't know anything about flights or the train. If their is a luggage limit on the flight, looks like we might have to obt for the train, but 12 hours seems a long time so may have to pack lighter.

Does anyone know what the luggage limit is? Also any suggestions on hotels in Paris. We are looking at 3-4 days pre-cruise. Since we will be sailing RT Barcelona, are the flight prices mentioned OW or RT?

No matter how you look at it it is going to be tough with luggage doing an intra Europe flight or taking the train then going on a cruise.At least fling from the US you can check 2 pieces of luggage at 50lbs each.I am going out on a limb here and say save Paris for another trip and do Barcelona precaruise as there is a lot to see and do there and 3 days in Paris is just a glance.Just my thought.Anyway..as to a hotel do you have any idea what area you want to stay in/Right or Left Bank??? I would suggest the Queen Mary which is right near the Madeline and walkable to the Louvre,Place Vendome etc. It is a small boutique hotel part of the Excluisve Hotels of France.A larger hotel right near the Opera Garnier is the Hotel Scribe.It has changed hands since we stayed there and we have stayed several times)Walking distance again to a lot of sights,plenty of restos in the area and shopping right up the street.Here is a link to both(I have stayed in both).No matter what you do...enjoy your trip.

HOTEL QUEEN MARY HOTELS PARIS FRANCE HOTEL PARIS VISIT FRANCE VISIT PARIS TRAVE

Hotel Scribe-Paris* Managed by Sofitel - Paris - Hotel Scribe-Paris* Managed b

Don't book your pre cruise stay with the cruise line. Instead, as many people do, book your own air to,and hotel in Paris, then fly on to Barcelona. Very easy to do, and usually a lot less expensive than doing it through the cruise line.

The last time I used easyjet they charged a flat rate 22 euros to increase my baggage limit from 20 kilos to 32 kilos. So, when you consider that the flight to Barcelona would cost about $70 and about another $30 you can increase your baggage limit to about 70 pounds per person, for about $200 (for 2) you can fly with 140 pounds of luggage + 2 carry-ons. That is still a pretty good deal and cheaper than an overnight train with compartment. Of course, their policies on luggage could change tomorrow! :)

Hank

hi singbill, we are neighbors, lake elsinore. we a doing the med. on the jewel next month. we are leaving lax to barcellona with a layover of 2 hours in london. on our return flight we are staying ove in paris. we stay 1 night after in barcellona, then tues. a.m. we fly to paris, stay overnight and leave the following day. at no extra charge. maybe it's since the return flight goes through paris, the only thing is you fly into orly airport in paris and out charle de galle (cdg) sp???? we are flying american and iberia, booked through american. so, you may want to call american and tell them you'd like to stop overnight. hopefully since you are planning so far out, it wouldn't be a big problem if you had to do it on the return flight since that's when it goes through paris. might save you a lot of money. shelly

Need your help. DH and I planning to go on a Med cruise out of Barcelona in 2008. Friends of our want to go also, but they want to do a prec-ruise stay in Paris first.

Does anyone know about transportation choices from Paris to Barcelona? I guess the other choice would be to cruise to the Baltic instead since that seems to be the only destination that cruise line offer a Paris pre-cruise stay.

Can anyone give me some advise? Thanks.

Last summer we went to Paris before our Med cruise. We then flew Easyjet from Paris to Barcelona. It was easy and inexpensive. The luggage weight limit on Easyjet is not strictly enforced if you are within a few kilos. You are also allowed one carry-on suitcase plus a purse, backpack, or briefcase.

Linda

• 3 months later...
Hi. We are doing this in September. We will be reserving on the Elipsos Overnight Train from Paris to Barcelona.

The trains have private roomettes which gives an opportunity to combine sleeping and travel costs together. We have the entire day in Paris to explore before we leave, then arrive early in Barcelona so the whole day is ahead of us. Less wasted time travelling during prime hours.

I believe the train leaves around 8:30 pm and takes about 12 hours.

Here's a couple of sites you can get info from:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/talgo/train_hotel_elipsos.htm

http://elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

We are planning on taking the overnight train June 2007. I would love to hear a review of your experience on the train.

Thanks,

Carol

• 11 months later...
We are planning on taking the overnight train June 2007. I would love to hear a review of your experience on the train.

Thanks,

Carol

We are planning on taking the overnight train Nov. 2007. I would love to hear a review of your experience on the train.

Thanks,

We also wanted to spend a few days in Paris before our Voyager Med cruise out of Barcelona. From Australia, the best option I found ( which we are booked on in 3 weeks) was to fly Air France Sydney to Barcelona - the flight goes via Paris and you can stop over at no extra cost and enjoy the normal international baggage allowances of Air France for the Paris to Barcelona leg of the trip. Just an idea. If you try the Air France website and book well ahead of time, you can get a great price. This option ended up much cheaper than others I looked at.

With regards to hotels, lots of good reports on Tripadvisor for Hotel La Bourdonnais near Eiffel Tower and the Seine.

Happy planning:) .

We also wanted to spend a few days in Paris before our Voyager Med cruise out of Barcelona. From Australia, the best option I found ( which we are booked on in 3 weeks) was to fly Air France Sydney to Barcelona - the flight goes via Paris and you can stop over at no extra cost and enjoy the normal international baggage allowances of Air France for the Paris to Barcelona leg of the trip. Just an idea. If you try the Air France website and book well ahead of time, you can get a great price. This option ended up much cheaper than others I looked at.

With regards to hotels, lots of good reports on Tripadvisor for Hotel La Bourdonnais near Eiffel Tower and the Seine.

Happy planning:) .

Hi ausiecruzer.

I am in the beginnings of organising a Europe cruise and I MUST visit Paris. Still trying to wade through all the info and decide which cruise to do. There are so many. I would love to hear about your trip when you return. I live in Sydney. I will check here for your posts or you could Email me if you don't mind baliaddict@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

How lovely to hear from a fellow Aussie!! And how exciting for you that you are just starting to research a Europe trip. I have spent the last 6 months planning and researching and now our trip is only 3 weeks away!! I'm soooo excited. I will send you an e-mail ,and would be happy to let you know my experiences. :) :)

Talk to you soon, Susmita.

Archived