Princess pre-cruise stay at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale

Clarkk W Griswald

I stayed 2 nights pre cruise (the Princess package) at the Renaissance in Fort Lauderdale in February. This was my experience.

We were met on arrival at Fort Lauderdale airport by a Princess representative. She waited while we collected our baggage and then took us to a taxi. The taxi driver was not one bit happy about accepting the Princess voucher. He did drive us to the hotel grumbling all the way.

The package also includes transfers to the ship. You will be told what time to have your bags outside your door and what time to catch the shuttle. Since it is only a very short taxi ride to the pier from the hotel we opted to just hop in a taxi when we were ready to go to the ship and not be tied to the shuttle schedule.

When we checked in we were given a smoking room. They had no non- smoking rooms available for either of the 2 nights that we were there. We were told the room had been "deep cleaned"! Believe me when I say that the room had not had anything special done to it. We could still smell smoke and even found an empty water bottle sitting on the desk. We went back downstairs and explained the problem to the clerk and returned the used bottle to her. She promised to send an ionizer up to our room and gave us breakfast vouchers for the 2 mornings we would be there. She was very polite, apologetic and did what she could to make us happy and comfortable. The ionizer really did help a lot. If you are a non smoker and end up in a smoking room insist they get you one immediately.

You are located a short walk from the River Taxi to get to various locations and you are within walking distance of a Publix and some shopping.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks Beryl. How much was the taxi ride to the ship? I don't know if I'll want to be stuck to a schedule for a shuttle, as well.

Since I booked this pre cruise hotel through Princess with my cruise, I thought this would be a good place to ask. I did try looking at the threads on the hotel page that chrysalis referenced above. Can't really find the info I'm looking for there. Too many hotels from all over, it's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo, if you know what I mean!:D And when I type Fort Lauderdale in the seach, I think every hotel in South Florida comes up!

I can't remember the exact fare but I know it was not more that $10.00 including the tip.

Be aware that you will have to show your ID to get through security when entering the port so don't leave it in your hand carried luggage in the trunk of the taxi :D !

We stayed at this hotel precruise but not through the cruise line. It was a wonderful stay. We took a taxi to the cruise port and the cost was around $4. The water taxi will take you downtown for lunch or dinner. Also we walked to a mexican restaurant Carlos and Pepe's that was excellant. Ask the desk for directions. It's not that far. Have a great one.

This is one instance where you're much better off booking the hotel on your own and taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel. It's only about 10 - 15 minutes from the airport and right before the bridge to the port.

We stayed there several years ago, right after it was renovated, and it was pretty nice. We were so impressed that we recommended it to friends. We then stayed there a couple of years ago and it was dirty, smelly and being seated for breakfast took almost 30 minutes, even though we were only 2nd in line and the room was 2/3 empty. I had to change rooms 3x because the odor of smoke was so bad, I felt nauseous as soon as I walked into the room and I knew I'd be sick all night. And these were non-smoking rooms! I was very disappointed in the condition of the rooms.

The location is excellent and the suggestion of Carlos and Pepe's is a good one. The food was great and it wasn't expensive.

We stayed here about 1.5 years ago and had a nice stay. Great location - central to a lot of restaurants and shops (grocery store/drug store) and the water taxi is near by. I would stay there again.

We ate at Bravos Italian restaurant right across from the parking lot. It was very good.

We stayed there the end of April. Our room was nice and the location can't be beat - right next to the cruise terminal. We ate at the hotel and had a wonderful dinner - the duck was delicious! The pool area is small and right next to the street, although there is a wall - but you can hear the noise from the traffic. I cashed in some Marriott points for the stay, so it was free for us.

We stayed there in Jan. 2006 We did book the precruise with Princess. We had a comfortable stay. We ordered room service for lunch, dinner, and breakfast and it was good. There was a walgreens too, right across the street in case you needed any last minute items. We also could see the ship from the window in our room when it got to the port....That was cool:) Have a great cruise Clark W. Griswald.....The Caribbean Princess ship is a beauty!:D

Definitely check as to which Renissance Hotel you are actually staying at. There are 2 of them, one being on 17th and the other in Plantation. We have a cruise booked with Princess next April and the price Princess was offering was so much cheaper than what I was finding on line, so I had my TA add it on to our cruise. When I got the paperwork, it jumped out at me it was not the one on 17th that Princess if offering for their hotel. We just didn't want that location, so I dropped it off our booking and made a reservation at the Embassy Suites on 17th instead.

So do double check where you are going to be staying! This can certainly make a difference.

We also had the same thing happen to us as Beryl did. This was a few years ago and the cab driver never spoke to us the whole way. I actually had a tip in my hand for when we got to the hotel. He got out, opened the trunk, took out our luggage and just walked away. Even the bellman at the hotel looked at him funny. Never got his tip because I didn't even have a chance to give it to him. We haven't booked a hotel through Princess since, except for our almost mistake for next year.

Do check on this!

Hulagirl

Uh oh, didn't know there was more than one. We're staying at the Plantation. What's wrong with this location?

Most of us are familiar with the one in FLL which is on 17th Street and within walking distance to the ships.

Good thing Hulagirl pointed out about the Plantation one - sorry don't know anything about that one.... Princess used to use the one on 17th Street (in FLL).

I guess the 2 locations explains the 2 very different views of the hotel I received. From some of you saying the rooms were nice, and others saying there was the stench of smoke.

we stayed in the one near the harbor near the cruise terminal

and took a tour arranged by the hotel in the monring on the Jungle QUeen

it was a nice way to spend the monring and see ft lauderdal

Stayed there one night pre cruise. Within walking distance of good stuff to do and see. Close to cruise port. Terrific room for the usual Marriott price at the usual Renaissance quality. Hotel arranged a van to take 8 of us and lugagge to port for $35.00 total. I would stay there again. We also earned Marriott points for staying there.

Everyone who has replied to you has stayed at the hotel on 17th. This hotel is not close to the port, but not necessarily a bad spot. When we go to Ft. Lauderdale, we just don't want to stay out by the airport or too far from the port. When I was looking at the Rennaisance on 17th I was shocked by the prices they want now. So when my TA quoted me what Princess was charging per person I couldn't believe it and that is when I told her to book it for me. Then I realized it was in Plantation and looked at the actual price of the hotel and saw that Princess wasn't giving us that great of a deal afterwards. Go into the Renaissance site, and type in the hotel and you can find a map of the location. It most likely will be just fine! We just like to be on 17th, or in that area.

I had no idea there were 2 hotels either until last month when I booked it.

Hulagirl

The Renaissance Plantation is about 15 minutes from the Port. Be sure to use the Princess transfers as a cab would likely be $20+ from the airport and to the pier.

It's in a bit of an industrial area/business park like. Not anywhere near downtown, the beach or shops - but only about 10 minutes from Sawgrass Mills (one of the largest shopping centers in America!).

It's a nice hotel, the rooms are well kept and the staff are friendly and efficient.

If it's just for a one-night stay and your flight gets in after dinner time, I'm sure that if the price is right, this place will fit the bill!

We stayed at the Renaissance Plantation last march and the rooms were pretty clean, no smoke smells. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is also some restaurants and a Publix close by, about a 10 min walk away.

Archived