help- What to wear on VERY long plane trip? And in Europe in August?

sueceecat

We live in Hawaii and will be doing Golden Brincess British Isles/ Western Europe in late August. Of course we are very excited.. but I can not stop obsessing on:

What to wear on plane(s) to fly from Honolulu to London?

What to wear in Europe-

Scotland

Ireland

Paris!

Norway

Amsterdam,

etc.

Thanks for all your wisdom!

Sue

When I recently flew to Germany I noticed quite a few ladies (including me) who changed from regular slacks into nice pyjama pants and a t shirt for the long flight. I found it very comfortable and changed back to my slacks before landing.

Western Europe in August can be nice in the daytime and cool (50's) in the evenings but you never really know what to expect. You can probably expect cooler weather in Scotland. I suggest dressing in layers.

Happy sailing

cruisinfromcanada: What a great idea! We have an overseas flight coming up in October (Calgary - Venice) and I've already been wondering what I was going to wear for the flight. I don't like looking like I just got out of bed to travel and trek through airports, but the idea of changing while on the plane is one that appeals to me very much. The bonus is that when we get to our destination, I won't look like I've literally slept in my clothes. Thanks!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I guess I have a low tolerance for fussing, I just don't want to fool with changing my clothes in flight, especially when you're about to land and everyone wants the bathroom. (Not to mention the size of the bathroom which, in itself, makes changing clothes challenging.)

If I'm travelling to Europe (or anywhere that's not tropical) my "standard" outfit is a pair of black knit pants (cotton with a little stretch) that are lighter weight and dressier than sweats, but still very comfortable. I've had them for 3 years but I only wear them in-flight so they stay in good shape. They're hard to describe, but they're cut like pants and they don't get baggy -- I love 'em.

With this, I usually wear a sweater set (cardigan and shell) in a cotton silk knit. My current favorite is a leopard print that doesn't show ANYthing (including wrinkles). I wear black driving moccasins and change to heavy socks during the flight.

Once on board I eat something then pull out my pillow and blanket and sleep. I don't have to worry about a thing until we're about to land, when I put my shoes back on, brush my hair and teeth, and touch up the makeup a bit.

I'm comfortable in flight and look perfectly appropriate when I land!

I'm with cruisemom42--the idea of having to drag pjs with me and change in that tiny airplane bathrooom is very unappealing.

I wear a pantsuit in a sort of crinkly material--it looks the same right off the hanger and slept in.

Thanks, ladies!

Glad to know I am not the only one with this "issue"! Going to a tropical or very casual destination, or a flight under 6 hours is no problem- it is cold and far and urban landings that get me stumped. I've tried this many different ways:

a- wear all my heavy clothing and shoes to save packing space in luggage- fried in Honolulu and on plane... at landing was VERY cross and sweaty!

b- pajamas under trenchcoat for redeye flight with NO makeup and wet hair.. what was I thinking- ( I think I thought I would somehow sleep like a baby and make myself presentable just before landing)- what actually happened was I saw everyone at airport and on plane that I had not seen in awhile- and they saw me- how embarassing!

c- all dressed up - landed looking like an unmade bed...

love your suggestions- give me more!!

Trip will be redeye- will change planes at least once, AND I think we go straight to ship from plane...

Not worried about shipboard attire-classic, casual during day; and I LOVE formal nights!!!! Wish there were twice as many!!!

Layering sounds like a great suggestion for shore trips..would like to be chic in Paris -looking forward to seeing how Parisian women put themselves together!

The only thing I want to purchase for trip is some kind of blazer or jacket that would work for these urban and "country" stops.. any suggestions??

Thanks!

I have the same problem deciding what to wear on a long flight. I ALWAYS pack 1-2 sets of clean underwear, an extra shirt that coordinates w/whatever I'm wear, in my carry bag. That way if my luggage gets lost (gasp) I can make it thru 1 day, or if we're overnighted somewhere (it's happened to me), things aren't quite so bad. I've always had trouble sleeping on a redeye, this time I saw people put their arms down on the tray, then their head on their arms. I tried it and it worked (also took TWO Tylenol p.m.)

Enjoy your trip.

I never understand why this is such an issue for some - it's just an airplane. I've taken many 12 and 14 hour flights. I wore either jeans, or a nice pair of track pants and matching jacket. The latter would probably be my top choice for comfort. I'd never bother to change into pj's - I would feel completely silly and I don't like carrying extra stuff.

Sue, you might try travelsmith.com for the blazer. Lots of stuff designed for traveling in different seasons, with wrinkle-resistant fabrics, many machine washable.

As for footwear on the plane, I like to bring a pair of Isotoner or ballet slippers that don't take much room in the carry-on. They allow you to flex your feet and do little exercises for better circulation. Because of the leather sole, you can wear them to get up and walk around, too.

I've been in Scotland in August, and it was cool (temps in the 60's during the day), so layering is a good idea. We were visiting relatives and very casual, so I found a nylon windbreaker useful. When the sun became warm, I just stuffed it in my tote bag, with the umbrella you almost always carry there.

Have a great trip.

P.S. I agree about the extra set of underwear and clean blouse. They're good in case of lost luggage, and they, plus washing your face, help you feel ready for the new day after an overnight flight.

I never understand why this is such an issue for some - it's just an airplane. I've taken many 12 and 14 hour flights. I wore either jeans, or a nice pair of track pants and matching jacket. The latter would probably be my top choice for comfort. I'd never bother to change into pj's - I would feel completely silly and I don't like carrying extra stuff.

I think it is more of a comfort issue, then looking somewhat presentable when de-planing. The thought of wearing a pair of jeans on a long flight sounds so very uncomfortable, I need to wear elasitic waistband or a long knit dress, something I can bend in. Denim fabric is just too heavy and not forgiving for ease of movement. A longer length of a knit dress is ideal for bathroom visits, I can't stand the thought of my clothes anywhere near the floor with all the other people sharing the same facilities.

I'll add that a pair of slip-on shoes is a great choice, I like to be able to take them on and off easily and cannot manage to reach my feet on an airplane to tie shoes. Easier at the security points also, if they ask you to remove your shoes.

I have pant-suits, skirts and dresses from Tilleys - a company that specializes in travel wear. All of their clothes are extremely comfortable, don't wrinkle and can be washed in a hotel sink. Most dry overnight.

Here's a link to their website - I've directed you to their "inflight travel pant" page.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=14&gender=w&extractBy=CollectionId&id=11&productNo=TJ04

Personnally, I would go for heavy comfy socks in slip on shoes that I can remove/put back easily on flight, a pair of comfortable pants (no jeans), a cute t-shirt that fits loosely without being too big and a comfy jacket (fleece, cotton, or other fabric you like on your skin). I will sound silly but I like a hood on my jacket because sometimes airplanes get way too cold for me (my ears are very sensitive to cold air from air contionnated).

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF1100/The-North-Face-Paramount-Porter-Convertible-Pant-Womens.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CTW0006/c12/s36/Contourwear-AnyWear-Pant-Womens.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF1526/c12/s42/The-North-Face-Salathe-Fleece-Jacket-Womens.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/COL0123/c12/s42/Columbia-Ballistic-Sweater-Womens.html

I guess I have a low tolerance for fussing, I just don't want to fool with changing my clothes in flight, especially when you're about to land and everyone wants the bathroom. (Not to mention the size of the bathroom which, in itself, makes changing clothes challenging.)

If I'm travelling to Europe (or anywhere that's not tropical) my "standard" outfit is a pair of black knit pants (cotton with a little stretch) that are lighter weight and dressier than sweats, but still very comfortable. I've had them for 3 years but I only wear them in-flight so they stay in good shape. They're hard to describe, but they're cut like pants and they don't get baggy -- I love 'em.

With this, I usually wear a sweater set (cardigan and shell) in a cotton silk knit. My current favorite is a leopard print that doesn't show ANYthing (including wrinkles). I wear black driving moccasins and change to heavy socks during the flight.

Once on board I eat something then pull out my pillow and blanket and sleep. I don't have to worry about a thing until we're about to land, when I put my shoes back on, brush my hair and teeth, and touch up the makeup a bit.

I'm comfortable in flight and look perfectly appropriate when I land!

Couldn't have said it any better! The most important thing for me is comfort and anything that doesn't show wrinkles. I usually wear slacks and a matching top with a low hung gold or silver chain belt. Talbots has some fantastic non wrinkle outfits that look great even after sleeping on a long flight.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I like to dress nicely for travel.

I second the vote for Talbots. I frequently fly 7-8 hours to visit my family, and I often wear a nice pair of slacks or a long skirt (never jeans - they're too constricting when you sit for that long) with a short-sleeved cotton stretch shirt (maybe a tee-shirt, often something heavier) and carry a long sleeved sweater. Planes are generally cold, unless you are delayed before take-off in which case you could cook! I wear sandals, but carry heavy socks or slippers.

Remember that everything swells when you're flying, so even if you go with something far more casual, you want to be able to slip off your shoes. Feet, shoulders and arms tend to get cold, so take a sweater. Whatever you wear should be able to handle some stains, because you never know what your seat mate may spill on you.

In your shoes, coming from Hawaii to Europe, I'd definitely do the layers thing. Many stores now carry travel lines, and you can probably find a great outfit (pants, top, sweater) that will stay wrinkle free, but still look a bit stylish. Most of that stuff is hand washable, which is helpful if your luggage goes missing and you're rinsing out the next morning.

Have a wonderful trip!

I think it is more of a comfort issue, then looking somewhat presentable when de-planing. The thought of wearing a pair of jeans on a long flight sounds so very uncomfortable, I need to wear elasitic waistband or a long knit dress, something I can bend in. Denim fabric is just too heavy and not forgiving for ease of movement. A longer length of a knit dress is ideal for bathroom visits, I can't stand the thought of my clothes anywhere near the floor with all the other people sharing the same facilities.

I wouldn't wear the jeans if they were uncomfortable. I have a couple that are both flattering and extremely comfy - not heavy denim but very lightweight. I must have washed them 100 times and they are as soft as they can be. I've worn them on a 7 hour bus trip - believe me they are comfortable!! A dress would never do for me - I would FREEZE!! :-)

As a former flight attendant of over twenty years . . . aside from wearing non wrinkle comfortable clothes . . . be sure to bring "footies" for any long distance flights . . . feet tend to swell and one doesn't want to walk to the blue room (bathroom) in bare feet or heels.

My choice for travel is Chico's Travelers. They come in numerous styles and colors and are so comfortable. You can dress them up or down.

We have traveled to Europe numerous times and I wouldn't wear anything else.

I have even bought a few Chico's NWT off Ebay.

Hope this helps.

Jacque

I wear a cute capped sleeve t-shirt or spaghetti strapped top under a velour hoodie with cute pants and change into velour sweat pants that match to hoodie and thick socks on the plane.

I have no problems changing into sweats for a long haul.

sueceecat, your trenchcoat and wet hair story was hilarious!

I can relate, my husband and I were very very late for a USAirways flight to Miami with a connection in Charlotte. They actually held the plane for us as we made it to the counter to check in just in the nick of time.

We woke up at 5AM for a 6:05AM flight and had not yet packed.

Because they knew me from being such a frequent flyer, they let us check in under the 30 minute rule and as we are going thru security, the gate was paging us.

As we walked on the plane (of course I had soaking wet hair and no makeup), it was very obvious we managed to royally piss off the other passengers. The second we clicked our seatbelts, I mean the very second, the plane pushed back from the gate.

When we landed, some guy came up behind me and gave me a giant bearhug. The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of the Police, who my husband does a zillion fundraisers for, had taken up most of the plane and they all knew us!

We still get crap about being so late for that flight and them holding the plane for us but I was most mortified about being in front of 50 people I knew with NO hair and makeup!

Arrgh!

"We still get crap about being so late for that flight and them holding the plane for us but I was most mortified about being in front of 50 people I knew with NO hair and makeup!"

LOL, Blue Heron,

It sometimes seems that the worse you happen to look (or think you look) on a particular day,- the more people you will accidentally run into!

Wow !

What great suggestions from all of you for " plane " clothes... visited and bokmarked all of these sites.... Thanks!

Sue

We live in Hawaii and will be doing Golden Brincess British Isles/ Western Europe in late August. Of course we are very excited.. but I can not stop obsessing on:

What to wear on plane(s) to fly from Honolulu to London?

What to wear in Europe-

Scotland

Ireland

Paris!

Norway

Amsterdam,

etc.

Thanks for all your wisdom!

Sue

Check out the 'Britain' boards for Scotland and Ireland (Ireland's not in Britain, but that's where it's covered); UK weather/clothing has been discussed quite a few times. The weather in late August in Paris, Norway and Amsterdam is pretty similar to the UK.

I've been to all your five countries, so if there's anything further you need to know I'll do my best.

Enjoy your trip; sounds a wonderful itinerary.

Regards, Mary

Archived