No Lobster!!!

Just got back from Empress of the Seas 7 Nt. Bermuda out of Philly. I am still in shock that lobster was not offered at all on this cruise!!! On the second formal night, the featured entree was, get this, a pork chop!!!!! Out of 9 cruises, this is the only cruise where lobster was not offered, with the exception of a no-name brand cruise we took back in '99.

Is this a new trend? Or do you think this was a one time deal?

I thought lobster was a staple food on formal night.

Just got back from Empress of the Seas 7 Nt. Bermuda out of Philly. I am still in shock that lobster was not offered at all on this cruise!!! On the second formal night, the featured entree was, get this, a pork chop!!!!! Out of 9 cruises, this is the only cruise where lobster was not offered, with the exception of a no-name brand cruise we took back in '99.

It could have just been a fluke. Sometimes they get a bad shipment and sometimes they just don't get the shipment because it wasn't available or something like that. It is usually served on all longer cruises, so I would say it was just a fluke. I have never been a fan of cruise ship lobster anyway, so no big loss for me.

I do not like seafood so I will not miss lobster. I would much rather have the pork chops any day. Most posters have said the lobster is not that good anyways, so you probably did not miss much. However, lobster is ususlly always served in DR on formal nights. Sorry you did not have any on your sailing.. I do not think that is the standard on a 7 night sailing.

They do not have lobster on short sailings though.

In my experience the lobster that they serve on cruise ships is so bad that it is not worth ordering any way, and I love lobster.

That's why I never understood why lobster was such a big deal to people on a cruise. The lobster we had on a 9-night Grandeur sailing last summer was okay, but not the best I have ever had. But then again, anything doused with lots of warm clarified butter, heck, is delicious to me :D

OP - sorry you missed out on the lobster, but really IMHO, you didn't miss much.

Thanks for sharing,

but the original OP wants to know why it wasn't served on a 7-day on the Empress. I'd like to know that as well.

LL

Well, I am on a 7 night to Bermuda in October on the Empress and not that it matters to me, if they serve lobster or not, but does anyone know the guidelines on menu items on formal nights? Another poster said that maybe they didn't get an expected shipment in and that seems to make sense to me.

I LOVE LOBSTER amd ESCARGOT, too, when done right:D

We sailed on the Empress recently--May 27th.

The lobster indeed HIDES now as part of the "Fisherman's Platter", which is NOT served on a formal night. In my notes I recorded that we had this Platter on Monday night, night 3 of the cruise, a casual night.

I wonder how many people sat at the table with the OP. If it was a small number of people, no one may have noticed.

Leslie

Maybe something did go wrong because every cruise I've been on (5 day and over) had lobster on one of the formal nights...

I personally wouldn't miss it on a cruise..Living at the Jersey shore I could get lobster any day of the week.

One thing that was really weird..my sister and I went on Norwegian Spirit in March and they served lobster but it was smothered in a "duck sauce." Reminded me of Chinese take out...lobster was really good but the sauce was "gross".....I love duck sauce but not on lobster...

Maybe something did go wrong because every cruise I've been on (5 day and over) had lobster on one of the formal nights...

I personally wouldn't miss it on a cruise..Living at the Jersey shore I could get lobster any day of the week.

One thing that was really weird..my sister and I went on Norwegian Spirit in March and they served lobster but it was smothered in a "duck sauce." Reminded me of Chinese take out...lobster was really good but the sauce was "gross".....I love duck sauce but not on lobster...

EEWWW! YUCK! What a horrible thing to do to an innocent crustacean! :p

I was on the Empress Bermuda cruise leaving 6/3. We had lobster tail one night. You didn't miss anything - the tail was so salty it was inedible.

Did you have the fried chicken or chili that was on the dining room dinner menu?

My understanding is that lobster is no longer served on the 2nd formal night. I think on Brilliance it was served the night after the 2nd formal night. It was served with shrimp, but as I am allergic to shrimp, I asked the waiter to please not have any shrimp on my plate, but to give me two lobster tails and that's what I got. They are quite small though.

Maybe it was served but you missed it with it's not being served the 2nd formal night. Just a thought.

I am sorry to hear that there will be no lobster on the 2nd formal night. I always look forward to it! (I'm booked on the August 19th cruise of the Empress.)

Out of curiosity, were there other areas of this cruise where you expected something better than what you received?

Joan

On my recent Enchantment five day cruise we had lobster on one of the casual nights. It is my understanding that lobster is supposed to be served on all RCCL cruises of five days or more.

This is correct. Sometimes they don't receive their order. On our last crusie, right after hurricane Wilma, they were short on Lobster so they were offering crab legs. They said they were trying something new, but I dve never seend crab legs on a cruise before.

I noticed that too. I was disappointed with the overall food quality of the ship. We just paid $675 pp for a 6 night cruise on the Radiance standard balcony. On the Empress we paid $1700 per person for the Junior Suite, same size room, no extra perks. Yes, I knew going in that the rooms were the same size and no tub. But I didn't anticipate the loud banging all hours of the day and night from the pool area above. Also we had to call maintenence 3 nights because the room was blowing out ice cold air. On the second night it took just under 3 hour for maintenence to arrive. On the Radiance we had sushi every night at the buffet, a pasta bar, and toppings for the yogurt. None of that on the Empress. The ship was not worth the price we paid. The staff was great but the vessel to us was a disappointment. Bermuda was amazing.

Archived